Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

beginner packages or seperates...online or in store....

Forum for kitesurfers
jojo77m
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

beginner packages or seperates...online or in store....

Postby jojo77m » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 pm

I have done a few days training & think it makes more sense to buy my own stuff rather than £100 a day hire & i'm going to usa on the 29th, so am trying to decide if I should take advantage of the exchange rate & buy while i'm there, but i need some guidance.

Q1. I dont think I will have time to try any of the gear I buy in the Usa, so is it a goog idea to buy without trying? or over the internet?. or is this only an option when you've been doing it a while & know what your after.

Q2. I am 5"4 & 60Kg (130 pounds), & think either a 12m or 14m kite would be a good start?? (1 quiver for the moment) But does the bar size make any difference? 45 or 55cm? i would think smaller is better?

Q3.
this kinda depends on whether its a good idea to buy seperate or packages.

http://www.h2o-sports.co.uk/products.asp?PT_ID=114
http://www.s2as.com/b-KitesurfPackages-24.aspx
those are pretty much the only local stores I could buy packages from & try them out on the day. (or at least get a setup session)
are packages really any good? (my 1st ski package lasted 1 season before i replaced everything but the bags)

if packages are a good start, which would you recommend out of the few options i have locally.

my training area gets about 10-18knots

any guidance would be appreciated. (i really just need an independent answer from someone that doesnt own a store)
thanks

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:34 pm

Where in the US are you going?

j i m

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:47 pm

it is always good to support your local shop, since if you have problems they are closer by.

Trying to test gear as newbee is very unlikely. I think it makes sense once yo can stay upwind and have more control.

No need to buy new gear, almost all from 2006+ works. At the beginning maybe better to destroy a used kite rather than a new one. Then move on to a new kite. Also depends on what you pay...if you get 2007 really cheap, that's a difference. Most kites fly, but check the bar and safety system.
Ask i here what we think.
45cm bar is small...55cm big. Any change for a 50cm?
But with s smaller bar the kite steers slower, that is good at the beginning...
I would go for a 12 with your weight...I think that will be your biggest kite anyway. 14 is too big for a newbee with 60kg. Later you add an 8 or 9.

Greets
Toby

jojo77m
Rare Poster

Postby jojo77m » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Rhode Island (you know...that great kitesurfing destination) :-? visiting my brother.

so something like a 12m like the 2006-7 Naish Raven

http://www.whitstablewindsurfing.com/ho ... Secondhand

or even this if its cheap enough would fly & waterstart again for a beginner
cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORTH-TORO-12MTR-KITE-2006-NEW_W0QQitemZ300116803997QQihZ020QQcategoryZ117150QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

davince
Medium Poster

Postby davince » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:49 pm

I would check out a bit better before picking the raven. I didn't ty it myself but I expect it to be a beast. Not quite meant for beginners. There are many kites which are good for beginners Naish boxer, North rebel or vegas, ozone instinct etc...
A 14 is considered as big kite nowadays. Definitely if you weight 60kg.
Bar size do matter.
Good luck

jojo77m
Rare Poster

waroo or boxer

Postby jojo77m » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:30 pm

I am having problems deciding what to buy, i have narrowed it down to 12m boxer sle $1300 (no board) or best have a current waroo package
11m for $1300 (with board) both are going to be available within 1 hrs drive when i go on holiday end of month

the issue i have is I <i>think</i> the boxer would be easier to learn?
but why do some have no bridles & others have bridles? which is better to learn on? & water restart from.
with or without bridles?

thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”