Forum for kitesurfers
ytcapz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

best place for kids to learn

Postby ytcapz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:44 pm

My 11 and 12 year old sons are desparate to learn to kiteboard. Lots of hours logged on the trainer kite already and working me for a trip south this winter to get on the water.

Does anyone know of any good, kid-friendly schools with safe beaches to learn at? Somewhere in the Caribbean/Mexico, Dec. to March, not too remote for my wife and 7 year old daughter to enjoy too.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:18 pm

Hello there.
Hatteras will be a good place to teach your kids how to kite. Check my son Cameron kiting. It is very safe and very shallow so very easy to learn.
If you need a school, KITTY HAWK KITES will be a good place to get some lessons or REAL KITEBOARDING.
The Caribben is also very good depending where you want to go. Now if you go to Mexico, Cancun is also a very good place to teach your kids. IKARUS kiteboarding shop is also the school to get in touch with for lessons. The person to get in touch is Fokka or Adriana. If you need more info. My e-mail is: dimitri@eclipsekites.com
http://www.kiteforum.tv/component/optio ... Itemid,30/

Tyrone Rabinowitz
Frequent Poster

Postby Tyrone Rabinowitz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:43 am

Hatteras is a great place to learn but the water will be too cold that time of year for your kids to stay interested.

Do some checking in warm water locations like Mexico, the Carribean, Hawaii etc..

You can also get hold of http://www.thekitehouse.com/index.php down in the keys. Paul is always happy to help.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:28 am

south padre is the best place i've ever seen to learn. waist deep water for miles and no obstacles. also a huge beach. i never noticed lessons being given but there are a few shops that do it. but the best time is spring so in winter you'd deal with a little less wind and cooler weather.

i was also impressed with the instruction on bonaire. while offshore wind, the instructors follow students with a boat and they were some of the best/most patient/safe i've seen. plus great snorkeling/scuba and warmer and more wind than spi at that time. i did see a couple pretty young kids learning too (maybe 12 or so).

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:44 am

Sorry did not realize it was in December - March. Hatteras is cold then and it is not good. But I see that you are getting more info now, these places are very good also especially in the Winter.

ytcapz
Rare Poster

Postby ytcapz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll check them out. I'm finding it hard to find a safe learning area without downwind obstacles for my sons, still some decent enough conditions for me, and not so remote that there's nothing else to do for the non-kiting half of my family (and for when my boys are simply wanting to do something else for a while).

Dimitri, Hattaras sounds incredible, but we have pretty good conditions here in BC in the summer too. I just want the kids to learn and get their first 10-20 hours in warm water with wide sandy beaches (those are mutually exclusive where I live).

Graham.

ytcapz
Rare Poster

Postby ytcapz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:51 pm

One more thing...Dimitri that video of Cameron is great! I also have run many, many miles in ankle deep water up and down beaches pulling my kids on skimboards - handle passes, high speed turns (3-4 rotations). This sure didn't happen in "my day".

One question: How have you managed to make him understand about the forces at work when things go bad with a kite? I imagine he's kiting under your very watchful eye...?

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:04 pm

I do not know about your local spot, but I was able to teach my wife and two kids when they were around 10. The best kite investment I made was a used 15 foot achilles inflatable. got plenty of use for a few years at Sherman Island...I think Dimitri saw my kids out there when he was out a couple years ago...

A life jacket, warm water, minimal boat traffic, together with mom and dad right behind the kid works pretty well. Add to that the ability to launch a kite if your son needs help, and calling it a day earlier if they get spooked, and it was a pretty fun and painless experience...

bob

clamike
Medium Poster

kite training for kids

Postby clamike » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:19 pm

Check out the Kitehouse Miami. All lessons are taught with boat support in warm shallow water away from obstacles. When they are ready to launch from the beach, a beach lesson is given.

Miami is easy to get in and out of and there are plenty of things to do besides kite. Plus the instructors have experience teaching kids as young as 9.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

cancun

Postby chirojoseph » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:43 pm

check out the lagoon of ISLA BLANCA located 20 minute drive north of Cancun, Mexico. The beaches there are NOT huge..but they dont need to be...we launch the kites and then walk out 500 meters in knee deep water or we cruise out even farther in the boat, inflate the LE, and class is IN SESSION.

Even in february you only need a shorty and thats only on the overcast days.

see pics at

http://www.kiteboardmexico.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”