surfkansas
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Smithville Lake *North of Kansas City
Gear: North Rebel 16
Brand Affiliation: None

Longview Lake (Kansas City Area) Banned kiting

Postby surfkansas » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Friend was out on Sunday and ticketed and told to leave Longview Lake. They stated the lake which is a US Army Corps of Engineers designed and owned lake is actually under the jurisduction of the Jackson County Parks and Recreation Division. That is who gave out the citation.

We are working to meet with officials but so far it has been uphill. Should anyone have any cited cases where we can lean from having bans lifted please feel free to reply to this post. We could use all the help we can get. Wish us luck because we need it to turn this around. :cry:

Seems like they should just treat us like windsurfers.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:40 am

sorry to hear this, please keep us updated!

BizB
Frequent Poster

Postby BizB » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm

Get in contact with the guys in Chicago. I understand that they have a very successful self-policing system going after an initial ban.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:59 am

Quite a few bans have been reversed in the USA and worldwide with organization, productive negotiation and effective implementation. What specific complaints have the authorities had or been reacting too? Have there been incidents, if so what were the specifics? Do you have any graphics (sat. image or charts/maps) that show contested launch/riding areas. What solutions have you come up with in regard to the material complaints so far? You may want to do this via PM (ricki) or email (flkitesurfer(at)hotmail.com)

Kirk123
Medium Poster

Postby Kirk123 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:46 am

Was there an incidence that prompted the citation? Were there other kiters there also asked to leave or was it an individual issue? I'm worried that other lakes around Kansas may follow.

kcflyer
Rare Poster

longview

Postby kcflyer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm also a local kansas city kiter. I used to windsurf out there all the time and they had restrictions even on that, eg no weekends etc. Anyway the place has always been banned from kiting by Jackson County. They saw our kites 3-4 years ago and freaked, and without really knowing anything about it, just banned it. There was no incident that I know of.
It is the closest place for me to go, only 15-20 min but it is pretty gusty and can get crowded with boats, as it is in the city.
I didn't push the issue because it is just not that great of a place to go. If it was open to kiters I'd probably go though. It would likely be more hassle than it's worth imho.

Hey surfkansas, who are you and your friend? You can pm me if you want.

Bruce

kcflyer
Rare Poster

longview

Postby kcflyer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm also a local kansas city kiter. I used to windsurf out there all the time and they had restrictions even on that, eg no weekends etc. Anyway the place has always been banned from kiting by Jackson County. They saw our kites 3-4 years ago and freaked, and without really knowing anything about it, just banned it. There was no incident that I know of.
It is the closest place for me to go, only 15-20 min but it is pretty gusty and can get crowded with boats, as it is in the city.
I didn't push the issue because it is just not that great of a place to go. If it was open to kiters I'd probably go though. It would likely be more hassle than it's worth imho.

Hey surfkansas, who are you and your friend? You can pm me if you want.

Bruce

surfkansas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Smithville Lake *North of Kansas City
Gear: North Rebel 16

Postby surfkansas » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:03 pm

Longview is not a great place but it is central to about 10 guys that kite and we all like to meet out there. We have had no issues at all no accidents etc. Just the rangers saying it looks like parasailing to them and as far as they are concerned they are banning it on all jackson county lakes- Not a big loss but think if all the corps of engineers lakes do the same- it concerns us for sure.

We went to Smithville Lake yesterday and there were many kiters out at once- no problem- wind was 18mph and I used a contra 14 and loved it. We talked with rangers there and they are ok with it saying "they have not been instructed the sport is banned yet" but then again Smithville lake while a corps lake it is managed by the Clay County Parks and Rec.

Who knows, i guess we will just not kite at Longview anymore. I wonder what lake locally is next. It seems so stupid that longview regulates windsurfing so strictly too....No surfing on fridays, saturdays, or sunday.... Heck when we really want to kite the lake is so rough with strong winds / whitecaps that the boat traffic really does not want to be out there anyway.. What does that have to do with weekends. They are like everyone else in the world that worries about lawsuits and injuries. The sky is falling. :)

Sean-- call me sometime Bruce- let's kite.

kcflyer
Rare Poster

Postby kcflyer » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Sean
Haven't seen you guys in a while. I guess I've been sticking to Clinton and Hilsdale mostly.
I hope its just a Jackson co. thing and not corps of engineers. If the corps lakes are ever banned I'll be more than pissed and have to do something.
Later,
BA

Return to “Kitesurfing”