bru
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FONE Mystic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FONE IMPACT SL

Postby bru » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:59 pm

HI there

We got our first shipment of IMPACT SL's a few weeks ago and I finally managed to get the 7m out and give it a run this morning. We have been flying the new Tribal 2's and 8 9 and 11 mainly - there is so much top end we have not really needed anything else - but decided to have a look at the IMPACTs. The impacts have been designed to be a "predicatable" stable high performance kite geared towards unhooked and kiteloop moves and also with the short lines the kite looks like it will be killer in the waves. Out th bag the Impacts all have the new white bar - so far we have only seen the white bar on the 8 Tribal 2. The bar tapers towards the ends and is way more comfortable - and for unhooked it is really good.

The first thing you will notice when you pump the kite up is the aspect ratio 3.3 I believe - besides that it is that same integral config that the '07 Tribal and Rival use -

In the air the kite is extremely stable and really quick and sharp through the air - especially during a powered kite loop. - unhooked there is no trimming of the depower strap - like the Tribal 2 - it is set up straight up - so really nice -

The wind was around 18knots and I managed to get a run out to the back line and back - bearing in mind the 7m is supposed to be used in winds of 28 knots and above !

As soon as we have more wind I will give some more feedback on the kite - but so far so good. For me adding the 7 m Impact to my Tribal 2 9 and 11 and 13 will complete the coverage and close off the big wind 35 knot plus or down wind runs 30knots plus !!

Here are a few pics of the kite

Rich Lowe
Medium Poster

Postby Rich Lowe » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 pm

Sweet!

I have just ordered a 9m primarily for kiteloops and handle passes

cant wait!

Wicked cool that you can just unhook no trimming!

:thumb:

savy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

F-one

Postby savy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:53 pm

That's a A+++ that you don't have ton trim your kite for unhook, that kite look sick !!!!!

Adam

whipPed
Medium Poster

Postby whipPed » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:47 am

Yeh, we got our first shipment of them in about 2 weeks ago, here in AUS. But havnt had enough wind to get out on it.

Sick pics...

raoul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, Long Beach CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Sunset Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Zichron + Kinneret, Israel
Quaipe, Brazil
Paros, Greece
Style: Free Style
Gear: Board: Underground
Kite: Naish Torch, Fone Tribal, Blade Trigger

Postby raoul » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:55 am

Wow - the kite looks really cool. I myself have the tribal II size 9 which is simply amazing.
Tell I more about how the kite feels with such short lines.
And what can you tell us about the deep profile?
I have never seen such a deep profile in a kite - what effects does it have?
does it make the kite slower, thus in high winds a slower kite is actually a PLUS?

raoul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, Long Beach CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Sunset Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Zichron + Kinneret, Israel
Quaipe, Brazil
Paros, Greece
Style: Free Style
Gear: Board: Underground
Kite: Naish Torch, Fone Tribal, Blade Trigger

Postby raoul » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:57 am

Oh and we really want to see a picture of the new comfortable white bar which is so spoken.

I didnt understand what you wrote about the kite beeing trimmed for unhooked, can you explain pleaase.
Thanks.

bru
Frequent Poster

Postby bru » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:19 am

Hi there Raoul

Okay - the kite on short lines makes it VERY responsive - I have used the ImpactSL 9m bar with my Tribal 2 9m kite and it is incredibly more responsive - not that the 9m needs to be - Try your 9m with 18m lines it is insane ! For Wave riding this is going to be the 1 !!!

The deep profile should give you huge lift - but I have not had the wind to try and jump with the kite ! That is the thing, the 7m is fast as you would expect - but it is not too fast that is exacly as you say a PLUS. The kite is predictable - so for big moves etc you know where the kite is !

Unhooked - I find that if you fly your Tribal 2 9m on the top knot - you need to depower it slightly to unhook - with the impact fully powered on the top knot - unhook and the kite is 100% there - the program is clearly a kite made to be unhooked - you will see what I mean !

whipPed - take one of the kites out - you will be amazed how much power you get from them - the 7m is only supposed to be flown in 28kn plus - yet in 18 knots I could get going on the 7m on my surfboard . I rekon 25 knots and the 7 will fly - so the 8 and the 9m should have you going slightly earlier.

I have also found that the Impact bar SL 9m and 8m work on the Tribal 2 8m and 9m -

I will post a picture of the bar now !

bru
Frequent Poster

Postby bru » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:44 am

This is the new bar - I think that the Tribal 2's will start coming with it

Rich Lowe
Medium Poster

Postby Rich Lowe » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:03 pm

Bar looks sweet!

whats the bar pressure on this thing like?

:thumb:

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:31 pm

@bru

Could you post a photo of the bar with the lines unwound so I could get at better look at the loops and lines that goes through the bar, if it is not too much trouble.

Return to “Kitesurfing”