Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for a Wind-X 14m Monsoonz review.

forum for kitesurfers

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Looking for a Wind-X 14m Monsoonz review.

Postby Europ2 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:59 pm

Not much litterature about this kite. A lot about the 10m but nothing about the 14.
If you have an unbiased treview to submit ....
With such a declared wind efficiency (varying profile at loaw angles of attack), I am a little bit surprised that the high end is (only) 18 knots, that is not even better than the competition (F-one Bandit 15m2, C/hybrid kite high end given at 20 knots, same rider weight 75 kg)

dirkydiggler
Medium Poster

Postby dirkydiggler » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:30 am

As far as I know the 14m hasn't been released yet. It is supposed to ship out in a few weeks. At least that was what I was told when I ordered mine a few weeks ago! I hope that the 14m works as well as the 10m.
I do think that they understated the high wind range of the kite. The 10m has been flown in over 30 knots without problems, so I'm sure the 14m will have a much higher range than 18. Reminds me of the wakeboard I bought that stated it shouldn't be ridden faster than 12 mph without risk of serious injury or death. Better to be on the safe side in company statements. I do think with some of the new kites that have huge depower people get themselves in trouble riding bigger gear. People think they can just kill the kite if the wind gets too high. Why not just grab a smaller kite?
Digg

tenebaum
Medium Poster

Postby tenebaum » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:55 pm

Hey, I too ordered the 14M. It seems that my kite is about a few weeks away..... so a review from me is about 4-5 weeks away.......

i really hope that the 14M is as great as the 10M.......

have asked the wind-x guys about the wind range, i think dirkydiggler has hit the nail on the head....... its better to be safe than sorry....... i think its more of a safety issue rather than technical......

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:41 pm

i love all this "blind buying"

a kite that no one has flown, but hell, i will buy it!

pfff

Richident
Rare Poster

Postby Richident » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi.
As you can see on the Wind-X homepage I am a retailer for Wind-X in Switzerland. But I can give you some infos about the 14 anyway...
I am probably one of the first guys in Europe having a Monsoonz 14. The kite arrived last week and on friday I had the chance to try it in very marginal conditions.
Wind was from 9 to 11 knots, board 142 x 44, weight 85 kg, skills average, bar setup 2:1.
When the wind was 11 knots, I was going upwind. Less then 10 knots was just not enough for me.
So for less then 10 knots there are three options:
1- Bigger board
2- Bigger kite
3- Loosing weight
Turning speed is for the size and the high AR quite nice. I would say , it's about the same as the SB1 12, but slower than a Liquid Force Havoc 12.
Tried to relaunch and it worked without any problems. Just had to pull one of the backlines.
For the top end I cannot tell you, but honestly I prefer riding a smaller kite in winds more then 18 knots.
Yes Tone, you are right, actually some of the Wind-X customers are buying the kite without testing it.
But...someone has to do the first step. That's why I decided to buy a 14 Monsoonz as a blind buy. I also did a blind buy with Flysurfer kites because I didn't had the chance to test them here. Didn't regret neither one or the other buy!
Flysurfer is still great for snowkiting.
Good winds.
Richi

swell29
Rare Poster

Postby swell29 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 am

Thanks for the first impression on the 14 m monsoonz !!...
Can you give me detail on the leading edge /canopy joint construction ? The piece of fabric we can see in pictures which is black or white and which is used to do the junction between leading edge and canopy ,is it hard Dacron or light cloth like in the canopy ?
Please same question about reinforcement on the trailing edge ?....
Thanks a lot

swell29
Rare Poster

Postby swell29 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks for the first impression on the 14 m monsoonz !!...
Can you give me detail on the leading edge /canopy joint construction ? The piece of fabric we can see in pictures which is black or white and which is used to do the junction between leading edge and canopy ,is it hard Dacron or light cloth like in the canopy ?
Please same question about reinforcement on the trailing edge ?....
Thanks a lot

Neill
Frequent Poster

Postby Neill » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am

If you weigh less than 80kg, get the 10m i reckon.

I flew the 10m (63kg here) and i was staying upwind on a directional in 8 knots, plenty of power. When the wind picked up to 10 knots, i was comfortably powered on my 125cm twin tip.

I cannot even begin to imagine how powerful the 14m must be, the 10 was like being tied to a train in over 12 knots. I'm looking at a new two-kite quiver: the 10m monsoonz for 8-18 knots and a 7-8m bow for over 18 knots. Feels a bit strange having a 10m kite as your "light wind" kite, but it was just so damn powerful....

Richident
Rare Poster

Postby Richident » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:11 pm

@ swell 29

the material between the canoby/leading and trailing edge joint is hard Dacron.

chumbawamba
Frequent Poster

Postby chumbawamba » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:03 pm

well, the material of the LE is so much tougher than the canopy..... its dacron....

and the TE is rather stiff... could be dacron too....

Return to “Kitesurfing”