Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fortaleza: Where to rent a Car/Buggy?

forum for kitesurfers

mede
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Villa-Arcadia.com
Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa)
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa), the endless and windy beach in front of villa-arcadia.com
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vanguard 5.2 (firewire kitesurf edition), Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: villa-arcadia.com

Fortaleza: Where to rent a Car/Buggy?

Postby mede » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:46 pm

Hi everybody

As the departure of our kite holiday in Ceara comes nearer (yes, not even a month left :P ) I'd like to organize the car rental.

I know there are several Ceara locals in this forum, and if someone of you could give me some advice about

* what car to rent: buggy or small car?

are buggies reliable enough for a trip from Fortaleza to Jeri and on, and then back, or will they most probably break on such a tour? Should we rather go for a small car (Punto or the like)? A Pickup is over our budget from what I've seen. Anyway, we will meet some friends of ours in Fortaleza who are currently travelling through South america in a 4weel drive car, and they should be able to dig us out if we get stuck in the sand ;)

* At what firm to rent
- The price should be ok
- the car should be in really good state (I dont want to spend my days waitig for the car getting fixed, instead of kiting ;)

Any suggestions are highly appreciated, thanx in advance

Kind regards

Mathias

jatkinson
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jatkinson » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:36 pm

DO NOT RENT FROM FORTAL VIP!!!

THEY ARE CROOKS, AND CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS MONTHS AFTER MY VACATION - AMONG OTHER ISSUES THAT I HAD WITH THEM.

theadebo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco
Style: Magoo

Postby theadebo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:02 am

I can recommend booking a car through Auto Europe, if you want the security of renting from a large rather than a local rental company. I got a good discount on hiring a VW Fox for 4 weeks, saved about $200 off the over the counter price. The car was supplied by Localiza and was in perfect (new) condition until I got my hands on it. One of those will move two people and all there kit.

I took mine all over including up to Jerri...well Prea which is where the kite beach for Jerri is, and then got a beach buggy to take me up to Jerri, 15-20mins along the beach.

Personally I wouldn't get a Buggy all the way up to Jerri, the Buggies are fun but I wouldn't want to spend 6hrs on the road in one. It'd be an adventure, but it'd also be a pain in the arse...literally.

If you can't spring for a full 4x4 and would like something with a bit of ground clearance then consider a VWCrossfox. With the roof bars and all your gear on top, it'll shift 4 of you. It's only two wheel drive, but with wideish tyres (and some air taken out) and the extra ground clearance it'll take you anywhere you want to go...except up a Dune!

I've also rented from a smaller local company..Manmare or something (I'll look for the card tomorrow), good price and very freindly and helpful staff. When they collected the car from our hotel, they didn't charge us for something (can't remember what it was but it was quite a bit of money) and then they gave us a free lift up to the airport. Excellent service.

Kite Adventures
Frequent Poster
Location: San Francisco, CA and Brazil (Kite Adventures tourism company)

Postby Kite Adventures » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:45 am

Do not get a buggy from FOR-Jeri. BAD IDEA!
I agree with the rest of them, they are so unreliable and it's not like you can find a mechanic when you break down on the beach...
have a great time!

vilaprea
Medium Poster
Gear: RPM's

Postby vilaprea » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:50 am

Hey Mathias,

If you don't want to deal with mechanics and repairs, avoid the buggy.

4 x 4 rentals will be in the R$ 225 per day with insurance (includes 150 km per day)

2 x 4 cars range from R$ 60 to R$ 150 depending on size and options (Air conditionning etc). Just remember you won't have the same freedom as a 4 x 4 in coming along the coast. If you actually plan on driving along the beach in a 2 x 4 let some air out of the tyres and buy a rope for your friends to pull you along. Some areas are VERY sandy, particularly between Baleia and Icarai de Amontada (Icaraizinho).

As theadebo recommended, you are probably better off leaving your car in Prea if you plan on going to Jeri. Pm or call us at Vila Prea and we can help you keep it in a safe place.

I have a friend that deals with several reliable car rental agencies in Fortaleza and can probably get you a good deal, pm and I will get you in contact with her, they can deliver the car to your hotel or meet you up the airport.

And if you decide to come North stop by Prea for a session or two with us!

Fred @ Vila Prea

maxood
Rare Poster

Be careful!

Postby maxood » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:01 am

I've rented Toyota HiLux last year in Fortaleza (MILLENIUM REANT-A-CAR)
They charged $2500 extra from my card! And I could not return these money.

mede
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Villa-Arcadia.com
Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa)
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa), the endless and windy beach in front of villa-arcadia.com
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vanguard 5.2 (firewire kitesurf edition), Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: villa-arcadia.com

Postby mede » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:09 am

Hi everybody,

Thank you so much for the quick replies :thumb:

Actually, this VW crossfox looks like a good deal. :)
And from what I've seen so far, AutoEurope has good prices.

@Fred : I'll send you an pm

Again, thanx to everybody for the help

Regards

Mathias

dakz
Medium Poster

Re: Be careful!

Postby dakz » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:03 pm

maxood wrote:I've rented Toyota HiLux last year in Fortaleza (MILLENIUM REANT-A-CAR)
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

How did that happen? Did you claim it back through your bank?

maxood
Rare Poster

Re: Be careful!

Postby maxood » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:41 pm

dakz wrote:
maxood wrote:I've rented Toyota HiLux last year in Fortaleza (MILLENIUM REANT-A-CAR)
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

How did that happen? Did you claim it back through your bank?
Yes, I tried to claim it, but brazilian bank confirmed to my bank that they have some check with my signature.

Lamelips
Rare Poster

Postby Lamelips » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:52 pm

I actually just got back from 10 days in Cumbuco/Jeri, and have a couple of comments. We spent most of the time in Cumbuco, and hired out buggys to get picked up for downwinders and touring the dunes and stuff, which is pretty convenient and relatively cheap -- maybe R$100 for a whole day. It was nice to have someone driving who knows how to navigate the dunes and get you to places off the beaten path.

We did, however, rent a Hilux 4x4 for a few days to go up to Jeri, and paid about R$240 a day or so. It was nice to have the comfort, (I was with wife and two little kids) but the truth is, we didn't absolutely need that much car. And despite what you may hear, you can make it to Jeri without a 4x4. You may not want to go deep into the dunes, but you can get to most places.

Renting a car in Brazil sucks in general. They all require outrageously high deposits. I used a company called RCA rent-a-car. It was expensive, but at least they didn't rip me off and brought me the car in the hotel and picked it up at the airport in Fortaleza. Just be careful. There's a lot of crooks out there trying to take advantage.

We had a fantastic time, by the way, and kited 9 out of 9 days non stop. It was great. A couple of impressions:

1. The kiters' scene in Cumbuco is very cool. Lot's of comeraderie, and very easy to put together groups for long downwinders [a must.]

2. The lagoa de cauipe was a nightmare. If there are more than 10 kites out, forget it. The smooth water is very appealing, but it's like kiting in rush hour traffic.

3. Piracuru is another must. Lots of smooth water on the inside, and waves on the outside. A perfect mix.

4. Prea was pretty intense. I'd call myself a competent intermediate kiter, but I was totally over powered on a 9 switchblade, which doesn't happen very often. Maybe it was just the days I was there, but it was extremely windy and gusty. I was perfectly powered on my 12 the rest of the time in the Cumbuco area.

I hope this helps. You're in for a great time!

Return to “Kitesurfing”