Forum for kitesurfers
gundu
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rhino 07 questions

Postby gundu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:32 am

Hi,

I have the 12 and like it but a couple of things are puzzling me.

Can this kite be self-launched from the beach? How?
The LE shape is stiff and doesn't really want to fold over like normal c's.

What is best technique for jumping?

Thanks

Chris

Westkite
Frequent Poster

Postby Westkite » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:27 pm

The R7 14m i have can be folded over on the tip similar to a c-kite. You need to fold it over further up the leading edge past the first strut. It is a little scary because of the high pressure of the leading edge. This kite can be jumped by sending the back or sheeting in bow style. I do both, sheet in as i send it back. I mostly jump off waves. Timing is little different than c-kites.

Denis

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:54 pm

Gindu,Westkite, .....don't fold wingtips! Not necessary and comes from old C kites with mushy LE's. Lay lines out into the wind, set kite on top of lines like normal. After connect move to a position off to side slightly upwind of kite-ie; from even plane with kite move upwind 30-45 degrees. Pull wingtip that is furthest away from you, it will fold under and kite will catch wind and open up kite on its side. At this point you can let go of bar(hooked in) and kite will take a position straight out to side. I let go of bar to depower and allow kite to race upwind if there is a gust. If kite falls off wind upside down don't panic.....just move down beach so your even with kite and work it back to launch position and bring it up.....easy! :thumb:

psa
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby psa » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:18 am

Jumping - Compared to R5 - I keep R7 in more "vertical" position like 11..12 o'clock and thorw it little bit back and sheet in. R5 (c-kite) was more in 1030..1100 o'clock position before throwing it back and sheeting in.

Any tips/helps how to avoid inverting and to avoid lines going mixed up after inverting ?

Yesterday one of my R7's bigger struts torn partly after inverting.

ToastSYN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: anywhere on Maui
Favorite Beaches: Ka'a Point, Matanzas Inlet
Style: overpowered
Gear: Royal Era 8m, Torch 7m, Obession 7m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Mercenary

Postby ToastSYN » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:26 am

PSA- was it in the middle of the kite at the leading edge? Mine did this as well as a customers at the shop I'm working at. Seems to be it wasn't properly reinforced.

I've got the 7m but have flown the 9m and the 9m had to be jumped differently than the 7m. Since the turning was slower I couldn't whip it acrossed the window like I do with the 7m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”