Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

iwindsurf.com too much $$$

forum for kitesurfers

kitejunkie
Rare Poster

iwindsurf.com too much $$$

Postby kitejunkie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:37 am

A few years ago iwindsurf/ikitesurf was $99.95 a year. Now it is $159 a year!!!

Isn't iwindsurf just gouging all of us? Surfline is half the price with streaming video.

Are there better options?

constantino7491
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby constantino7491 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:43 am

i dont pay i just use the normal thing thats for free and tells me the wind for the rest of the week

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:19 am

You must be talking about the premium web phone option of i*surf? Regular service only went up from $89 to $99. That is still high, unless you can't live without their privately owned wind sensors.

The sensors must take expensive upkeep, judging by how often they go down. Maybe due to vagrants stripping copper from them? They also have new software features in the pipeline, which they describe in their forums.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:16 pm

Well I like the service, finally caved in to pay the fee for "fx" (?) service or w/ever it's called. Some of their forecasters are better than others, but overall they do a better job integrating local effects and synoptic events than NWS and others I have seen.

Would not pay the rate to get it on the mobile though.
They have 3 areas to focus on for improvement imho:

1) Cost control -too much for wireless! this cow will probably dry up anyway with mobile device profiles etc changing...

2) Site mapping:

For example on the east coast US you can browse down to an area and when you try to go back to see an adjacent area, it takes you to another branch of the site :( In Virginia, especially! Some versions/branches of site do this others don't -confusing.

3) Sensor location. Some sensors are too much in the lee of land etc to give good info. For example my local one has a good sector spanning only 180 deg. As it happens the bad sector covers sea breezes and the prevailing SW. So it can't really teach the system any "local knowledge"

Nonetheless I think they are the great product for sailing, as it would take more effort and time to get the information together, especially for areas you don't know very well...

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:25 pm

I get ikitesurf FX on my phone, work and home computers and could not live without it. it is worth $159/y to me to "know when and where to go"

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:14 pm

There's always: http://windfinder.com ...and others.

j i m

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:54 pm

If it's not worth your money don't buy it. Simple as that.

My guess is that most people will think it's worth it even if it only gets them a couple extra sessions a year or saves them from getting skunked a couple times. But only the market will confirm that.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 pm

I live 1.5 h from spots in one local climate/region (Ches. Bay), 2-2.5h from spots in another (VA beach), and 4+h from OBX. I have gotten skunked a lot less since subscribing -it's easier to make the right call whether, when and where to go.
Before I could look at a dozen sites to get good idea of the wind, but that's a pain if you are looking at 2 or more weather areas. Still refer to other data when it sounds fishy, still look at the sky....

But a 4h roundtrip in the car wastes the day and nearly a tank of gas.
I hate to admit it, but it's worth $7 or $8 a month to me. Too bad it actually costs $9.
:roll:

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:32 pm

BWD wrote:2) Site mapping:

For example on the east coast US you can browse down to an area and when you try to go back to see an adjacent area, it takes you to another branch of the site :( In Virginia, especially! Some versions/branches of site do this others don't -confusing.
Don't use your browser "back" button for these cases. Use the "switch region" button on left of page - it has a lot of regions but is still fast to use. They have a forum where you can report strange "back" button behavior. It gets even worse with some new features the forum tells you how to test drive.

I think the biggest advantage of i*surf is the free map display of multiple directional wind+gust. You can get that by text elsewhere, but the graphic lets you visualize the big picture and interpolate. Then there are their private statiions that you have to pay to see, which may or may not be crucial to you.

One alternative that is cool but not timely enough (twice daily?) is satellite monitoring of seawinds at http://manati.orbit.nesdis.noaa.gov/hires/ . The technology only works a bit offshore, but you can click on even the blank ocean areas on both maps at the bottom of page for a monitoring zone to save in bookmarks. Maybe you can break the code to tell how recent the snapshot was - it's a simple conversion to London time/date using the info from left and right bottom of page, but sometimes they seem to contradict.

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 pm

After using it for about 6 years, upgrading to the pager service once, then
downgrading to back to FX, I finally canceled my subscription last month.
A few reasons:
*I don't get out kitesurfing as much as I used to due to training for
mountaineering expeditions I've done/plan to do.
* There are numerous free weather pages & wind cams that provide most
of the info I need at my local sites.
*I take my Hobie Adventure Island with me when I go and if it's too light to
ride I sail the trimaran. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”