Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha - LE to Canopy Seam Glue issue

forum for kitesurfers

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Cabrinha - LE to Canopy Seam Glue issue

Postby tukyank » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Does anybody out there with a 2007 Cabrinha kite have this issue?

The glue that strengthens the seam which connects the LE to the Canopy has completely deteriorated on my Xbow 2 - 12M (manufactured in June 2006).

As a result, the load of that connection is now carried by the stitching, but since the LE fabric is light, the stitching is now pulling apart the LE fabric, thus exposing the Bladder. 1 good LE crash and I think she'll blow!

The attached photo is of the area where the damage is the most severe, but after very close inspection, the glue is useless for the entire length of the LE, so its only a matter of time before this issue spreads along the entire LE.

I'll post more photo's if there is any interest.
Note: I do not overinflate (due to previous blown x-blow LE that was not warrantied) and I do not leave this kite in the sun or any harsh elements.

I going via my local shop for a warranty claim, but am curious to know if:
a) my kite simply has a bad batch of glue
b) this is normal wear and tear for a kite flown approx 30 times
c) Cabrinha may have a serious issue to deal with
Attachments
xblow glue low res 1.JPG
xblow glue low res 1.JPG (30.87 KiB) Viewed 473 times

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:44 pm

Looks normal. Seam stick does that with age.

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:33 pm

1 year?
Is it normal for the seam stitching to start pulling holes in the LE thus exposing the Bladder?

- certainly not my experience with kites over the past 6 years I've been buying them. Come to think of it, I have an old 2002 C kite in my basement, I'll check its seams.......

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby j1finnn1 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:43 am

happens. Seamstick doesn't do too much. Even on normal sails, you'll see it as the seams creep and stretch. the stitching should hold, though. If the material's pulling apart, it sounds like an issue. Do you keep your kites in the car? That will speed up the seam stick showing up like that, but it shouldn't ruin the integrity of the LE. Only the bladder valves :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”