Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

XBow 3 - Bridle modifications, creating the link

forum for kitesurfers

XBow12
Rare Poster

XBow 3 - Bridle modifications, creating the link

Postby XBow12 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:12 pm

I read the Cabrinha advice on how to modify the bridles. What I'm still not sure on is how to create the link. Cutting a 10 cm line and tying a regular knot, is that it or should the loop itself be 10 cm's? How exact does it need to be?

Anyone that could help out?

Cheers!

Cab Driver
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:31 pm

In the USA, the loops will arrive to dealers by monday or tuesday next week. They are provided from the factory with instructions on how to make the installation. The loops from the factory are sewn, so there are no knots. I made my loops out of old bridle line and just tied an overhand knot. This is obviously temporary until I can get the proper loops from the factory.

If you don't have spare bridle line, contact you dealer to see if they have some line for you to use in the meantime. It's important that the correct strength line is used.

TG

kruzlifix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kruzlifix » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:02 pm

I did the mod on my new contra 17 using some old pigtails using a simple larch /knot linkage (which is easy to adjust in length).
from what I understand: the lengthening should be 5 cm, but I am sure it is not that crucial (since the first batch of kites is also flying and I did not hear too many complaints on the http://www....).
Once I am on the water(3 more weeks) I will try out different lengths to see how they effect the kite. however I hope the the Cabrinha developers did test different lengths already and found that the 5 cm are the best....
as you see on the pic I also "upgraded" my pulleys.
however I don't understand how the adding of the pulley extension has a positive effect on the wear of the lines....
could someone explain?
andreas
Attachments
CT3bridle.jpg
Pulley extension using old pigtail.
CT3bridle.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Last edited by kruzlifix on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XBow12
Rare Poster

Postby XBow12 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:12 pm

I read somewhere that the actual length added should be around 3 cm's. Creating the 10 cm loop, fold it up (then it's 5 cm's) ant then tying it around the pulley would result around three more cm's.

I agree however that flying the kite without the extension is fairly ok, even though I expected it to fly faster. I also had a tendency to over-sheet the kite in low winds. Will be interesting to see what a few more centimerts could change...

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:40 pm

You notice on non-modded 08 kites, that there is a slack in line 5.
Line 5 controls the stearing of the kite.
Adding the extend link, will thighten line 5 and therefore less bar input is needed for stearing the kite.
The link should have been added by factory, but first kites somehow dont have the link.
I think the link should add about 5cm. I have flown the xbow3 without mod a few times, Also flies very good.

kruzlifix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:50 pm

kruzlifix wrote: however I don't understand how the adding of the pulley extension has a positive effect on the wear of the lines....
could someone explain?
andreas
blacktip just sent me a private message with a great explanation:
Take a look at these pics:

2007 attachments points on pulleys are all the same as in these pictures. The larkshead knot has to be perfectly linud up otherwise you get wear.

cabrinha changed that with the omega for the single pulleys on the bridle line.
2008 pulleys are perfectly lined up now, because there is not larkshead knot in the connection.
Except for the pulley connected to the towpoints (on the LE). The towpoint is pulling the pulley at an angle, creating wear.
The 'extend link', which is the simple mod, wil also line up the pulley correctly. PLus the other advantages.

bye,
rory

Andreas
Attachments
pulley_scheef_142.jpg
pulley is at an angle, creating wear
pulley_scheef_142.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
pulley_recht_279.jpg
pulley is perfectly lined up
pulley_recht_279.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 1568 times

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 pm

take a piece of old, spare, etc, bridle line. Cut a piece about 33cm long. fold in half holding the two ends in one hand. take the two ends together and tie a simple overhand knot. the loop from the end of the loop to the "bottom" of the knot..the part closest to the end of the loop should be 10cm. then follow the posted instructions. when you attach the loop/link to the pulley you are actually folding in half which now makes it 5cm and when you attach to the LE it becomes about 3cm.
steve

Gfunk
Medium Poster

Postby Gfunk » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:05 pm

I had about 5 sessions on my 12 without the extension.

The above pic is great. When the line moves through a mis-aligned pulley it introduces twisting. I lost about an inch from line 4B (I think it was 4B) from it twisting so much. I have talked to others with similar experiences. Keep an eye on this if you haven't done the "mod" (spelt FIX) yet.

Honestly I was stoked on the kite before the extension. With it bar pressure is down, turning speed is up a bit. Performance is up for sure.

XBow12
Rare Poster

Postby XBow12 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks for all input and help. Can't wait to try it out with the fix
//J

long_point_86
Rare Poster

Postby long_point_86 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:33 pm

how does the bar pressure on the cb3 compare to cb2?

Return to “Kitesurfing”