Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SHIT! - Quiver stolen - What to get now???

forum for kitesurfers

MnO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

SHIT! - Quiver stolen - What to get now???

Postby MnO » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:19 pm

- recovered -
Last edited by MnO on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:57 pm

good thing with Naish kites is, that the colors are pretty unique...since Sweden does not have many inhabitants, you should get your kite back quickly...keep us informed.
Make sure to post in all Swedish forums so everyone knows about it.

Good luck!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: SHIT! - Quiver stolen - What to get now???

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 am

MnO wrote:I just had an unwanted visitor in my small outhouse the other night. My two main kites and my main board got stolen. I now only
Man that sucks big time. I'd be so pissed off it happened to me.

This is my thoughts concerning my kites:

Overall the Boxers fit my needs perfectly. They where bought after a lot of research and I have had a great season with them. My level of kiting has really raised since I bought the Boxers.

I like the bar pressure in 1:1. Just perfect for get a feeling for the kite, but still light enough to be able to kite for hours. I am no advanced kiter. I just do normal freeriding with jumps and some simple rotations once in a while.

I wasn´t totally satisfied with the Boxer 12, even though it´s a nice kite. It was to close to the nine and the 12 needed quite a lot of wind to be really funny and most of those days I could have been riding the 9 instead. I want a better bottom end and still about the same top end. I have had thoughts about selling it and get something else. The impact of the burglary is in this case purely economical.

The nine however I totally love. I like everything about it, maybe apart from the fact that it once in a while falls out of the sky after jumps when I make mistakes. But the kite is just so fast and responsive and it does everything I want it to do almost before I think about doing it. Losing this kite is a big loss which really gives me problems to sleep at night. It almost feels like I have lost a good friend :(
I know how you feel :-) I just sold my Boxer 9, but my feeling is that although I really liked that kite, the Helix I bought is so much better I will not miss it. I would if someone stole it though.
I didn't try the 12 boxer, but the 12 shockwave had pretty good low end...but for those really light days, I used a 14 Torch. Very good kite, but also very different from the SLE's..still I never found the need to use a bigger kite and sold my 18 Best (for waaay too cheap) even in the lightest wind...I just used a bigger board like a fish surfboard.
When it comes down to choosing new kites I´m thinking of either continue with Naish and try the Helix, or wait for the Boxer replacement Cult. But...hmm...do I really dare to go away from the Boxer 9? Is the Helix really better, or is it just marketing? My kite heart tells me to try to get hold of another Boxer 9, but the Helix is about the same price and should at least teoretically be better. And it feels a bit boring to choose the same kite.
My personal opinion is that unless the boxer is A LOT..and I really mean A LOT cheaper..like almost half price cheaper then go for the Sigma kites. They offer way more stability, and they are more and better of everything..if you know what I mean. If you test it I think you'll understand what I mean. I think a lot of people choose the 9 - 14 set of Helix kites. I have not tested the low end, but if you search this forum you'll see people riding them in fairly light winds. As far as I've seen here many people commenting on the light wind ability of the kite only observed it flying, and had no idea if it was tuned properly. Other people comments on it's light wind ability. Having ridden the kite, I have no doubts that the kite will perform in almost whatever wind I take it out in....I think people might forget that kiteboarding needs some wind...it would be a lot more acurate if people could post time on the kite, board size, skills and wind strength...but of course this is my personal opinion. For instance, I could ride my 14 Torch with a 5'5'' Naish Fish surfboard from about 11 mph and I am over 90 kg. I could ride the same board on my shockwave from about 12. The moment I can test my Helix in light winds and more waves, I'll post it. I did have a lightwind experience on the kite, and it worked very well...I generated enough power to get me out of the situation...I can't really estimate the wind as it was in between two Hawaiian islands...but talking to others they had problems on their 13's (other brand)..my point is the concept of "light wind" is incredible inaccurate and subjective. I could post that since I fairly easily got out of the situation with my 9 Helix, and a guy had problems on his 13 SLE of some sort (I know what brand it is..I don't want to go there..keeping things on topic), that the other kite suck and that the helix performs superbly in light winds... I hope my point is clear here. The moment I have measurements, I'll post them.

The Helix ride a little different from the boxer, and they do have more steady power...but it can be jumped the same way..it can have the same feel..but in my opinion the helix can step it up another level for you. I had the same experience as you when I got the boxer, and I had the same experience with the helix now... You can still chose the 1:1, but now you can feel the kite all through the sheeting. I could still control the kite and do kiteloops on 14 in in 20-25 mph....fully sheeted out. I believe that is almost unheard of. The 9 can do all the kiteloops in the world..and let you feel good about doing them...

Of course, if you have the chance test the kites, you definitely see what I mean. The 9 Helix..the only Sigma kite I have gotten any length of time on...is PURE smiles and happy times. Well worth it. I missed my boxer until I got the helix..thats about what I can say about it...never looked back after.

For the kite falling out of the sky, I'd say simply remember to redirect the kite a little sooner...I have not had the helix fall at all yet...
I won´t buy another Boxer 12 so here I will try something different. I don´t really think that Helix 12 is a good choice for me as I have heard that it doesn´t deliver the low end grunt that I´m looking for. Either I go bigger or else choose something like the RRD Hypertype, known for the massive low end power or again... wait for the Cult to see what happens.
I've heard good things about the 13 Cult...but have not had a chance to test it yet. Sounds like it provides more low end without giving up the agility of smaller kites. I don't really know too much about the RRD so I don't think I should comment, but if you want low end, maybe also consider getting a surfboard or a skim board. Can also be fun in flat-ish water...although the surfboards are most fun in the waves.

The boards you are using I don't know at all...
And at last: Please keep your eyes open for a green/black/white Boxer 12 with some dark green tape fixes in the center panel canopy near the LE and a white/purple/blue Boxer 9 at your local spot.
For next time, take a pic of the serial number on your kites. It might help.

A.

RPskater
Medium Poster

Postby RPskater » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:11 am

Quiver stolen. That's a big bummer. What to get now? Hmmm.... I would say the best brand to get would be Smith&Wesson :!:

chumbawamba
Frequent Poster

Postby chumbawamba » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:47 am

RPskater wrote:Quiver stolen. That's a big bummer. What to get now? Hmmm.... I would say the best brand to get would be Smith&Wesson :!:
good one!!!

i think you should start monitoring on eBay too.....

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:07 pm

I watch the Danish forum and the German eBay for U!

MnO
Medium Poster

Re: SHIT! - Quiver stolen - What to get now???

Postby MnO » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:34 pm

tautologies wrote: My personal opinion is that unless the boxer is A LOT..and I really mean A LOT cheaper..like almost half price cheaper then go for the Sigma kites. They offer way more stability, and they are more and better of everything..
Thanks for those words and your long response overall. That will for sure make my future kite selection easier. I talked to a friend that tried the Helix, and he also find it extremely entertaining to use. I´ll wait a week or two to see if any reviews of the Cult shows up. Otherwise I will get two Helix kites I think.

MnO
Medium Poster

Postby MnO » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Dr_Rosen wrote:I watch the Danish forum and the German eBay for U!
Thank you!

MnO
Medium Poster

Postby MnO » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:55 pm

Dr_Rosen wrote:I watch the Danish forum and the German eBay for U!
Thank you!

Return to “Kitesurfing”