Forum for kitesurfers
seaking
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What is ROYAL

Postby seaking » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:39 am

ROYAL is:

Looking down on other kiters from above

What is the verdict on the new Royal Era?

I LOVE the kite...

Cheers

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:17 pm

I have been testing a demo-ing the kite (only currently have a 10m) to others.

It's an awesome kite - light bar pressure, turns fast, good steering when depowered, lots of lift, very user friendly.

I am hoping the 14m ERA is as good as the 15m RRD Hypertype....anyone with experience to compare the two?

So far a big :thumb:

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:57 pm

You are in the exact same boat I am Roberto about having the 15m Hyper and hoping the 14 Era is just as good of a light wind kite (or maybe better... is that possible?).

We will have a 14m Royal Era here in St. Pete by Wednesday. Bob got one.
I am hoping he and I can demo the 14m Royal back to back to the 15m Hyper before too long (wind dependent).

Roberto, if you don't mind, how does the 10m Royal compare to the 9m Hyper? Thanks. :)
Last edited by Skyway Scott on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:57 pm

Royal is looking down on other kiters from above?

Are you seaking an ass bashing?

frez
Medium Poster

Postby frez » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:18 pm

Yeah...I'd love to know how the Hypertype and Era compare in equivalent sizes. It's the same designer right? The 14M is very much of interest vs the 15M!

seaking

Postby seaking » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Exp P:

I see your point :D Actually quite funny reply!!!

I have testet the 14 compared with the Hyper 15.

The Royal 14 has loads more power and is more smooth and stabel.

seaking

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:06 pm

Loads more power than the 15m Hyper is quite a claim. I am literally just praying for equivalent power and performance from the Era 14 compared to
the 15m Hyper.
Hopefully more of us can do direct comparisons using both kites here real soon.

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:07 pm

scott.. every other review, claim, boast aside.. I know that you will give the honest truth on your comparisons..

anxiously awaiting.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:11 am

Skyway Scott wrote:
Roberto, if you don't mind, how does the 10m Royal compare to the 9m Hyper? Thanks. :)
The 9m Hypertype and 10m Era are completely different kites: different shape, different feel.

The Royal does not turn quite as fast as the 9m Hypertype - but the Hypertype is SUPER FAST..and the 10m Era turns plenty fast enough.

The Royal is much more stable and user friendly, and easier relaunch.

IMHO the 10m feels like a 10m should, any wild claim of "feels like a 14m" (which noone has made so far) should be taken with a grain of salt.

While I love the Hypertypes they do require full time attention becasue they turn SO FAST!, where you can relax a bit more with the Era.

I have been using a Waroo bar and have not used the RRD bar..just a comfort/familiarity choice at this point.

I used the 10m Era today in gusty 25-35 kts and 8'+ waves, 128 board and ZONE Wave board. (Dune de l"Ouest - Iles de les Madelaine) I had to fly the 10m Era totally depowered and it still turned OK but it was too much kite for me so I switched to the 7m Hypertype...and was still super lit with that.

I used the 10m Era a few days ago in 15-25 kts and I think that is the kites sweet spot for my rider weight (155#).

The Era is super smooth and has great lift and hang time...bottom line: I really like it. I'm pretty sure the 14m will be sweet and I am sure Simone thought this one out carefully.

Skyway Scott, I'll look forward to your 14m Era review since we both seem to like the same features in a kite. Given sizes available I would probably get for a 3 kite quiver: 6 -10 -14 ??

a bientot

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:33 am

Thanks Roberto, that's good news. St. Augustine got some wind today and a bunch of kites, so maybe they rode and will have some info too.
I was not really concerned about the 10m (living up to the 9m Hyper) because I have heard lots of good feedback from others and now you too. :)
Hoping to hear similar about the 14m.

There is an intermediate rider here who is getting the 14, 10 combo at 150 pounds. We reasoned the 14, 10 was best because we get so much light wind here and that he could hop on the 10 in as little as 15. Sounds like we reasoned correctly from your sweet spot range description of the 10m.
Thanks again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”