Finaly - First impression Royal ERA 08

forum for kitesurfers

Dr. Bording
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Finaly - First impression Royal ERA 08

Postby Dr. Bording » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:40 pm

WOW is the first thing that pops in to my mind. What a beautifull kite. Yesterday I hav on the ERA 8 in nukin conditions. This small kite was so easy to control even for unhoojed styr really really overpowered. It's super fast and will for sure be a blast in waves! I have been riding ramp up ERA's for a while and this is just as GREAT!

The 12 is probably the size I use the most, so I was really keen on testing the low end and hov it rides powered. Low end is fantastic - just as good as the HT 12 but feels more locked in. The 12 is faster than the HT and loops really well with massive power. Boosting is awesome.

These kites really rock for my style - i'm in to freestyle and the kites grunt combined with control and feeling makes them killer!!!

Cant wait to get some more hours under the belt with there and post a more full review.

How did you guys like your ERA's?

Anabatic_co_nz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Zealand
Gear: 12m 9m and 7m Skull Kite
Brand Affiliation: Founder of Kiteboarding.RED

Postby Anabatic_co_nz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:03 am

Hey what's the sweet spot for the 8m and how many knots for un-hooked and sweet?
Ours arrive next week and have guys interested to hear more about the range riders are getting out of the 12/8 combo.
I know it's not long to wait, but as you are riding them?

Kg? board dims your riding would be useful.

We found a super edgy board like the Crazy-Fly 132 made the kite really kick back hard from a railey or loading up to boost 8) . Feels fantastic.

Not so sure about putting a novice near one, more of a riders kite eh.
But it's their choice. Wake boarders would love it.

Dr. Bording
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr. Bording » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:47 am

Hi,

I'm riding the Royal One TT 128x38 - SWEET board! I'm 72 kilos.

The 12 is powerede fine for freestyle at 12 knots - have not testet the top end, but a friend of mine vere using his yesterday in pretty harsh conditions with round 20-24 knots. The low end for good riding with the 8 is probably 18 knots. 12+8 is a great combo, but I would miss the 10 as it is such a bad ass kite!

h2odiesel
Rare Poster

Postby h2odiesel » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:02 am

Dr,
Could you comment on how well the 12M goes upwind, and handles gusts? I'm around 65kilos and I live in a light wind spot mostly 11 to 18kts. It is important to me for my kite to haul upwind to regain ground lost from massive jumps and to not get blown off the water when the wind picks up.

Bob

Waves-n-Butter
Rare Poster

Re: Finaly - First impression Royal ERA 08

Postby Waves-n-Butter » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:26 pm

Dr. Bording wrote:WOW is the first thing that pops in to my mind. What a beautifull kite. Yesterday I hav on the ERA 8 in nukin conditions. This small kite was so easy to control even for unhoojed styr really really overpowered. It's super fast and will for sure be a blast in waves! I have been riding ramp up ERA's for a while and this is just as GREAT!

The 12 is probably the size I use the most, so I was really keen on testing the low end and hov it rides powered. Low end is fantastic - just as good as the HT 12 but feels more locked in. The 12 is faster than the HT and loops really well with massive power. Boosting is awesome.

These kites really rock for my style - i'm in to freestyle and the kites grunt combined with control and feeling makes them killer!!!

Cant wait to get some more hours under the belt with there and post a more full review.

How did you guys like your ERA's?

Sounds really good but can you elaborate on a few things in comparison to the Hyper Type?

- Depower? More, less, or about the same as the Hyper Type?
- Upwind? So far the reports are that the kite sits further back in the window and doesn't go upwind as well as the Hyper Type. Can you comment on that?
- Stability. Sounds like it's a lot more stable than the Hyper Type? This may account for reports of it sitting further back in the window and not going up wind as well as the Hyper Type.

As unbiased a review as possible would be appreciated!

Thanks You.

tstansbury
Medium Poster

Postby tstansbury » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:39 pm

how about turning speed and relaunch?

Dr. Bording
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr. Bording » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Depower:
think it's a draw. Maybe the HT has slightly more, but you can push the ERA further in the window. However the ERA has more low end grunt so it's a tricky one!

Upwind
The ERA is easy to push in front of the window, but HT simply flyes there. Think upwind is the same, but the ERA needs a bit more work. However that is just why its so good for freestyle etc.

Stability
No contest - THE ERA!!

Relaunch
Same - ERA is MUCH eaiser

Turning speed
The ERA is faster and still with more power - turns faster with more power and lift.

In terms of feeling, the ERA is much more firm and direct that the HT which I really like. Think the 10 is my favorite by far. Need more hours on the 8 and 12, but know im gonne be rally pleased with them.

You should really try one to se how it fits your style of riding and liking.

Waves-n-Butter
Rare Poster

Postby Waves-n-Butter » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks Dr! Nice to get more details. Hopefully i'll get to try one soon.

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown paulownia strapless kite surfboards

Postby Kaito » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:05 pm

Could an Era user please comment on the bar pressure and how the depower/power of the kite feels at the bar? I'm assuming its very progressive, but first hand experience/comments would be great.

Also, of the growing amount of reviews out there, there seems to be no mention of the desire or need for a stopper!? Is it THAT easy to keep hold of the bar w/out any sort of stopper?

Thanks for filling us in...
I'm STILL waiting on a few 10's/12's...
Domo arigato!
K.

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:49 pm

I got to test the 14m Era back to back with the 15m HT and my 16m Waroo yesterday in various wind conditions.

I weigh about 205.. intermediate rider.. been riding waroos exclusively for the past 2 seasons.

Early afternoon the wind was light.. 12 to 15 at the most.. I was riding one kite and immediately swapping kites on the beach and taking the next kite out.. did this a few times for each kite and think I got a good feel for how each one handles the conditions.

For a while the wind was on that cusp to where I was having difficulty getting on a good plane and head upwind. I've gained 15 lbs since the beginning of last season (hope to change that) and holy-shit was it noticeable. When I could not get going very well on the Era I traded to the HT and was able to get going w/ small jumps.

wind picked up a tad and I was back on the Era and doing OK.. its not *the* magical lightwind kite that I was hoping... but its solid, quick and if you have enough wind to jump you will be having a blast as this thing shoots you off the water.

I was trading it off w/ guys that weigh 40 to 50lbs less than me and they were having a lot more *fun*.. I was riding.. not much more.

winds kicked up a bit and I was on the HT and was able to begin my funtime. that kite is amazing .. shoots upwind. Back to the Era and I was doing good still. Power was about the same but it would not go upwind as effortlessly as the HT. I jumped on my 16 waroo and realized that I can fly that thing in nearly any conditions and have fun. I am so used to the waroo ..

I stuck w/ the Waroo thru the next set of lulls and gusts..

the around sunset the winds pumped up to the low to mid 20s and I got back on the 14m Era. It was definitely to top end of that kite for me. I was working to keep myself for being ripped off the water. fully depowered and fully sheeted out.. canopy was SOLID... VERY impressive. I am used to the flutter of the waroo.. but this was a really nice surprise.

has it been mentioned enough that this kite shoots you to the moon? wow. huge, floaty jumps. amazing.

but...

and this is a big "but".. and not just my big butt. but a "but" that is so big that I dont know if i can buy an Era kite until I get another chance to put this "but" to a test..

It is work to get this kite upwind. Especially in very powered conditions.

In light, medium and high winds this 14m Era did not go upwind as effortlessly as I was hoping. Where as my waroos take little work to go upwind, maybe I am just lazy about this. But I guess that I am looking for a new kite that will be everything my waroos are PLUS more. I really need to put this to more of a test on a day where the wind is more stable and in the kites sweet range ..14 to 18.. plus I really need to get a demo on the 12m vs my 12m waroo (favorite kite) and see how that compares. My 12m waroo is the one in my quiver that will need replaced first..

Pros:
-Light as hell bar pressure
-turns on a dime
-jumps to the freakin moon
-powerful as a kite 1 or 2 meters larger

cons:
-Not an upwind machine.. so.. probably only for skilled riders
-i do not like the thin bridles on the LE. they look flimsy. time will tell on this.

So much of this forum is filled with people asking for advice on kites and everyone has their own wants and needs from the kites they ride.. the only way to really know what will fit for your riding style is to demo. I am lucky to live in a large, tight-nit kiting community where I can ask almost anyone for demo of their kite...

Big thanks to Bob and Skyway Scott for letting me have so much time on their kites. Being able to go back to back with different kites is really the only way to get a good feel for how the kite behaves in our often varying conditions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”