Mug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Carkeek park
Style: cruise
Brand Affiliation: None

Speed1 17m problems or inexperienced

Postby Mug » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:10 pm

ya so I bought a Speed 17m used a while back ago and coming from lei's I'm not sure but I believe that I need to perform the uds 6.2:1 mod because the power is either on/off in that at 10kt-12kt I'm being dragged down the beach and can't move upwind. I have two questions 1 Is their an easier description on how to do this mod? and 2 should I perform a mixer test now, i.e did this kite always act like this or is it performing like this from line creep?

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tungsten222 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:17 pm

Original message expired.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:39 pm

You want to be pretty comfortable with the bridle and tuning your kite before doing the 621 UDS mod.

Your first step is to check front/rear line lengths because the fronts stretch. Then check you sparepartline.

The pulley line (sparepartline) shrinks and as a first step try lengthening it. It is 150 cm stock. However the bridle lines shrink at uneven rates (A the least, Z the most) so you may even be able to go longer with the sparepartline. I suggest lengthening it until it becomes unstable, then pulling it in a few cm at a time until you like how the kite is tuned.

Lots of info on foilzone. Use the search function first.

Jake

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:00 pm

Definitely check the pulley line first - very typical for it to shrink, and adding pigtails can be a quick fix.

Mug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Carkeek park
Style: cruise

Postby Mug » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:25 pm

I know that this was probably answered before, but why would the pulley line shrink, isn't it in tension all the time. Or is it a problem with the line that was prestretched, and now it is returning to its original length. Anyway I'll check the length of the pulley line first. jakemooremd what you're suggesting is this the same as the mixer test, because I saw the video on foilzone a while back and this doesn't seem to bad, i.e I should be able to do this in one afternoon. I'm really wanting to fly this kite as it was meant to.
thank you

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:39 pm

Hey

When you fly the kite and you pull the bar in with the kite at the zenith, does the kite backstall REALLLLLLLY fast?

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Mug wrote:Or is it a problem with the line that was prestretched, and now it is returning to its original length.
Yes, the pulleys work the prestretch out, or at least they can lengthen it. Replacement pulley lines (yellowish) stretch less, but anway FOCUS on your pulley line not getting under about 146cm or performance gets bad.

Forget the mixertest - that is for follow-on depower models, and involves adjusting the surrounding lines to compensate for changes in pulley line length. Also mixertest allows customizing the airfoil camber for mellow vs aggressive flying.

Felix KF
Rare Poster

Postby Felix KF » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:58 pm

TRY PUTTING AN INFLATABLE LEADING EDGE ON IT.... THEY WORK MUCH BETTER THEN..... :D

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:39 am

Mug wrote:I know that this was probably answered before, but why would the pulley line shrink, isn't it in tension all the time. Or is it a problem with the line that was prestretched, and now it is returning to its original length.

The bridles near the kite shrink due to regression of prestretch. The pulley line shrinks faster because it runs over a pulley. Even q-power shrinks over a pulley in my experience. Z lines shrink faster than C etc. because there is less tension.
Anyway I'll check the length of the pulley line first. jakemooremd what you're suggesting is this the same as the mixer test,
It is different but has the same final goal of making the kite fly right. The shrinking pulley line was discovered when some of the speed 1's started flying bad. All of the newer kites have the mixer designed so the ends of the risers are even. To do a mixer test on the older flysurfer kites you need to do it where the bridle meets the canopy: the so called long-mixer-test. But you have to be able to figure out the relative ABCZ bridle lengths first. More hints on Foilzone.

TRY PUTTING AN INFLATABLE LEADING EDGE ON IT.... THEY WORK MUCH BETTER THEN.....
Ha Ha Ha. If you can show me how to get your blown out 2005 LEI to fly like it was new and satisfy my need to mow the lawn in 10 knots I'll gladly give up the the tangled bridle.

Jake

Return to “Kitesurfing”