Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Helix compared to Shockwave and Boxer.Question???

forum for kitesurfers

TechnoPrisoner
Rare Poster

Helix compared to Shockwave and Boxer.Question???

Postby TechnoPrisoner » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:48 pm

I am a satisfied owner of a 07 Raven 14m

i need to get a small kite aswell so i thought it would be nice to get one Helix 9m.Well,the thing is that Raven is supposed to be something like a Hybrid/C shape kite with a 1:1 shift system bar and a few days ago i had a ride with 06 Shockwave 7m(30knots) and a 06 Boxer 12m(18-20knots) both on 2:1.I really didn't like the feel of the pressure from the bar compared to the Raven's bar.I had to put much power so i could have both kites powered compared to my Raven where i have power all the time without having to pull the bar much.

Now the question is,Is Helix gonna feel like these bow kites?what if i ride the Helix in 1:1 mode?will it respond more like my Raven?

thank you

Chuckster
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Chuckster » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:59 am

Yeh you'll find the Helix on 1:1 very similar to the Raven. It is a different kite, so will obviously turn slightly differently, but in terms of bar pressure, the two will be largely the same - light and responsive. The Helix can be changed to 2:1 (so would feel like the boxer), but so far ive prefered flying the Helix's on 1:1 (coz i come from a torch backround). A 14m Raven and 9m Helix would be mint!

What you mean "Raven is supposed to be something like a Hybrid/C shape" ? im pretty sure the Raven is straight out C kite...unless my eyes are cookoo?haha

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Helix compared to Shockwave and Boxer.Question???

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:41 am

TechnoPrisoner wrote:I am a satisfied owner of a 07 Raven 14m

i need to get a small kite aswell so i thought it would be nice to get one Helix 9m.Well,the thing is that Raven is supposed to be something like a Hybrid/C shape kite with a 1:1 shift system bar and a few days ago i had a ride with 06 Shockwave 7m(30knots) and a 06 Boxer 12m(18-20knots) both on 2:1.I really didn't like the feel of the pressure from the bar compared to the Raven's bar.I had to put much power so i could have both kites powered compared to my Raven where i have power all the time without having to pull the bar much.

Now the question is,Is Helix gonna feel like these bow kites?what if i ride the Helix in 1:1 mode?will it respond more like my Raven?

thank you
First thing; The Helix is not a Raven. That said, I've had some sessions on my Helix 9, last one today, and the kite is amazingly nice..and I think it shares many aspects with the Raven.

The similarities with the Raven is the bar pressure, in 1:1 and that you have a feeling for the kite through the sheeting....I've only ridden the Helix once in 2:1 and it worked...but I still think I will be using the 1:1 the most.
The jumping, I actually think the Helix does better, and not only better, but with more hangtime. :o :o it does jump similar though, with a big pull and good boost...and you can send it super hard..., not like many of the SLE's where you go up fairly slow...on the Helix..if you throw it like you would your Raven, you get that back breaking pull (YAY)...you can jump it like a bow though, and get the slower ones as well.

I had a go on the 14 Raven and it is a nice kite for sure, the comparison with the kites as far as it goes the 14 will of course be turning A LOT slower. The helix 9 is super fast and works for all the things I've tried it..I have not tried it unhooked yet...but had a great session in the waves today....I think the biggest difference between the Raven and the Helix is the kite loops. I have to slow them down a little on the Helix, it simply turns so fast..once you get them though still gives you that certain monster pull if you want..or at least I'm getting there. :-)

All in all I think you'll like the Helix...but then again, I can't understand how anybody can dislike that kite. The helix also does share some similarities with the SLE kites..I think in many respects the kite takes the best of both worlds and make it something new and better...I don't know if that makes any sense. you have better wind range on the Helix than the raven...the usable range is extended as far I've tried, and there is a nice little stopper feature on the bar, that I've been using to ride toe side no handed in the waves...a lot of fun to play with...and it also follows better than the raven ever would in waves. I relaunches better than the raven.

I am super stoked yet again...after my session today. I went out on my 9 in 15 mph...(range 10 - 21)...and the kite worked very well. I had a blast for sure. so much fun.

a.

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.

Postby R Soul » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:43 pm

If you have a Raven, why don't you wait for the Alliance...
See what that brings?

JFB
Frequent Poster

Postby JFB » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:53 pm

I ride a Torch 07 12m and after I have riden the Helix 12 I decided to stick with my Torch...... but I defnetly want a Helix 9 LOL, whatever Tautologies said I back up, I wanted to add the part of the stopper ball cause I thought he would not mention it like everybody else, but it is one very nice feature specially for guys coming from a C kite, The feeling in 1:1 and with the stopper ball is C kite like. And the Helix being a high aspect ratio like your Raven I think it is your best bet, although try to get the Smart loop, it looks fine too...I will sell my Torch06 8m and get a Sigma kite for those high wind days and wave riding...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:31 pm

JFB wrote:I ride a Torch 07 12m and after I have riden the Helix 12 I decided to stick with my Torch...... but I defnetly want a Helix 9 LOL, whatever Tautologies said I back up, I wanted to add the part of the stopper ball cause I thought he would not mention it like everybody else, but it is one very nice feature specially for guys coming from a C kite, The feeling in 1:1 and with the stopper ball is C kite like. And the Helix being a high aspect ratio like your Raven I think it is your best bet, although try to get the Smart loop, it looks fine too...I will sell my Torch06 8m and get a Sigma kite for those high wind days and wave riding...
Agreed!!! Well, except for me also selling my Torch to buy a Helix. :-)

A.

TechnoPrisoner
Rare Poster

Postby TechnoPrisoner » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:31 am

another question

i heard that if you switch the 2:1 -> 1:1 on shockwave and boxer that you don't have much room for depower,is this gonna happen to helix aswell if you switch from 2:1 -> 1:1?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:29 pm

Well, I disagree on the depwer on the boxer and SW in 1:1..there was PLENTY depower. On the Helix there is even more, the bar can travel very far, and although I have not tried to the the Helix out in 2:1 and 1:1 on the same session, there is plenty of depowerability in the 1:1 setting. Not only can it depower well, but you can also turn the kite while depowering it.

I've had my 9 out in sub 15 mph, which is pretty amazing (on surf and skim)...works best from 15mph and up...I do like the kite better with more power..but that is I really don't like riding low/underpowered whatever kite I am on...but thew Helix definitely has better low end than the Boxer (IMO).

A.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:08 am

The Helix is a nice high ar kite, just SLE kite, compared to the Raven.

Coming from a Raven, you should use 1*1, and i think u would love the Helix 9.

Here the Helix is a kite that mostly guys that like high ar kites, fall in love whit. If your in to a more freestyle unhooked thing the Alliance would be your Sigma shape kite.

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:46 am

Hi,

Can one of you make a comparison between the helix 9 and shockwave 9 ?
For me the SW9 works in 1-1 only in relatively constant wind and is not really suitable for waveriding with this setup, the kites turns too slowly in 1-1 for me.

Is the helix providing any improvement here ?

Thx

Pierre

Return to “Kitesurfing”