Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Review Naish Helix 9.0 2008

Postby TheRussian » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:12 am

Review for Naish Helix 2008 9.0

Times tested: No Comment
Range: kn to kn

Good:

Bad:

Review: • The following is based on me (95kgs) using a 9m, 12m & 14m Helixes with a 4’10 & 5’4 strapped surfboards – I used the 12m in Tarifa for a week with the 4’10 from between 20-30knots and both the 9m & 14m once only (9m in approx 25 knots & 14m in about 18 knots).

•As everyone knows, the kite has a very different foil shape looking like the wings of a bat in the sky (the theory is that this foil shape keeps the center of effort constant, regardless to how much the kite is depowed by…. And it works!) This creates lots of attention on the beach as it really looks different.

• The foil shapes provides a smooth power delivery. All kites need to be pumped up hard, especially the 9m – once you have pumped the kite up “waggleâ€Â

Rolavi2
Medium Poster

Postby Rolavi2 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:47 pm

Hello Rob,

Nice review. I love my Helix 12m and use it with my 07 Sol and fish. I am debating between the Helix 9 or the Cult 9 and hoping someone will compare the two. Thanks for the tip on pumping up the helix hard as I have not been doing that.

I did find the Helix to be super fast and easy to relaunch powered. However, when the wind drops out and goes below the level of the kite's ability to fly off the trailing edge I was kinda screwed as I could get it to go to the edge and relauch more traditionally. Not that I could have gotten a session in at that point. However, relaunching the kite up and dragging in would have been nice. Maybe it is just me.

Can't wait for the smartloop upgrade as I don't like the handles and the stiching bothers my fingers a little.

Have you done a review on the 5'4" wave? I am thinking of buying that board to compliment my fish.

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby pierre.d » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:57 pm

Rob

your review is interesting: what's the difference with the shockwave then ?
especially if you use it in 2-1

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:56 pm

Pierre, put simply..... hangtime & super soft/fast landings.

The helix holds you up there longer than either the shockwave or Raven and whereas the s/wave tended to dump you after a high boost, the helix sets you down every bit as nicely, if not better than a Raven.

The only thing I would say is that boosting in a gust with the 9m, and if the gust fades during the jump, the 9m requires a strong re-direct, so much so that I ended up landing most jumps yesterday with a downloop and going into a transition. But this was the first day using the 9m i less than fully powered conditions.

Also the 9m & 12m will waveride every bit as well as the same sized s/wave, if not better as the kite seems more stable with a constant pull through turns.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:25 pm

Just had a go on the Cult 9. I think it will bee the most popular kite off the 2, as the Helix is a High AR kite, that are stable and a good jumping kite for the advance hooked in rider.. ... (Tried the Helix 9)

The Cult is a much easier kite to use, and very nice to fly... An is much better behaved unhooked. The surfers will love this kite, as it is faster turning for waves. The stability, and the drift on slack lines are the best i have ever seen on a kite.

If you liked the high ar kites off the last years, the helix is a champ... If you have been liking the SB2-Waroos-HT-Havoc-Links and likes, then the Cult are the one Sigma kite you should try..

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:57 am

Paff, you are right, I have to put my hand a cult.
coming from the shockwave, I love the 7 but find the 9 to slow to turn.
The kite behave well in 2-1 because of the extra bar input but
I would like to find a good Naish Sle really ridable in 1-1 in waves for
the comfort .
What about jumps with the cult ? Are they still correct ?
Also if you tried the boxer of last year, a comparison boxer 9 , cult 9
could be interesting.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:01 am

PAFF wrote:Just had a go on the Cult 9. I think it will bee the most popular kite off the 2, as the Helix is a High AR kite, that are stable and a good jumping kite for the advance hooked in rider.. ... (Tried the Helix 9)

The Cult is a much easier kite to use, and very nice to fly... An is much better behaved unhooked. The surfers will love this kite, as it is faster turning for waves. The stability, and the drift on slack lines are the best i have ever seen on a kite.

If you liked the high ar kites off the last years, the helix is a champ... If you have been liking the SB2-Waroos-HT-Havoc-Links and likes, then the Cult are the one Sigma kite you should try..
Paff,
Can you compare the cult turning speed compared to other kites on the market?
And depower throw required in 1:1 is it shorter than Helix? This is a issue for super gusty conditions.
This is a little OT but it is in the line of Helix/Sigma :roll:
Thanks!

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:23 pm

Wawando wrote: Paff,
Can you compare the cult turning speed compared to other kites on the market?
And depower throw required in 1:1 is it shorter than Helix? This is a issue for super gusty conditions.
This is a little OT but it is in the line of Helix/Sigma :roll:
Thanks!
If he claims it turns faster than the Royal Era he is lying :bye:

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:24 pm

That's also what I want to know.
Can we really ride in gusty & wave conditions in 1-1 with these kites (helix or cult) ?
If the answer is yes for Guincho , it will be yes for me in Norther brittany !

Return to “Kitesurfing”