Forum for kitesurfers
bowski
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Alliance v Rebel 08

Postby bowski » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:23 am

Was just wondering if anyone has flown both and got an informed opinion. I just ordered a 12m Rebel but am a bit indecisive as there are a few negative reviews, anyone got some compelling arguments for either?

I have been kiting on Fuels for the past 4 years, was thinking it was time for a change.

Bowski

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: Alliance v Rebel 08

Postby PAFF » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:06 am

bowski wrote:Was just wondering if anyone has flown both and got an informed opinion. I just ordered a 12m Rebel but am a bit indecisive as there are a few negative reviews, anyone got some compelling arguments for either?

I have been kiting on Fuels for the past 4 years, was thinking it was time for a change.

Bowski
Tried both... Both good 5th lines kites.. What do you want em for??

bowski
Rare Poster

Postby bowski » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:31 am

I live in a bay so mainly freestyle, the coast (where the surf is ) is about an hours drive away (been surfing for over 20 years, the drive is the reason i took up kiting since i kite straight out the front of my house) but am keen to get more in the waves this year, but as i said mainly freestyle.

Gary
Medium Poster

Postby Gary » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:32 am

I agree with Paff.
why 5 line?.. freestyle= crashing your kite, with SLE's there is no way your fifth line is gonna get rolled in the kite (which means swimming back to the shore for you) and the relaunch is so much easier.
If you ride an SLE on 1:1 bars (no pulleys), the steering is light so you can steer the kite easily with one hand when you land moves.

G.

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:54 am

Why bother with SLE and bridles and disadvantages on most SLE kites.
More things to go wrong then with a 5th line setup in my experience. And 5th line gives a real safety option.

Looking at you wanting the kite to excel in FREESTYLE, I'd have a try on a few kites before you buy. And look at newer Freestyle kites like the Vegas/Torch/Fuel08 alike kites. Those kites are positioned as FREESTYLE kites. Those are your safest bet without trying a kite first.

Then again the Rebel looks like a good "compromise" and you still have a change. Some hard-core Fuel riders would say you're cursing in church :wink:

k1t3m4n14k
Rare Poster

Postby k1t3m4n14k » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:28 am

I'm using FURIA for freestyle and wave, great kite for both styles because his wide range of configurations. I use it with 4 lines, because it's easy to relaunch, I have no problems with the center line and I have same level of security because the new 4th lines integrated leash. The way the kite works with 4th lines it's why I get FURIA instead REBEL. Hope to test Alliance soon.

bkiter
Medium Poster

Postby bkiter » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:26 pm

Freestyle Naish Torch , North Vegas, Slingshot Fuel, or the Naish Alliance.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:45 pm

Reviews are made from the personal point of view of the user, no rocket science here. But the problem is that there are so many factors which can change the way a kite works. Like for example rider weight, conditions, board type and size, etc.

If you are used to a freestyle kite like the Fuel I do not understand the choice of the Rebel8, unless wave is something you really want. The Rebel is a good kite and can do freestyle, but the Fuel07/08 and Vegas06/07/08 are better for this, and have a bigger windrange than the older kites (still not so much as a Rebel).

I recently tested the SS Rev08, which I personally did not like. But many freestyle oriented riders (I do freestyle, but is not on top of my list) did like this kite since it excels in freestyle, but with the extended windrange of a flatkite.

I would say, give the Rebel a try. If you do not like it, try the Rev. I also tried the Furia, which is a good kite for waves and freestyle too, but I would say more a hangtime and wavekite like the Rebel.

Return to “Kitesurfing”