Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Freestyle board size question naish thorn?

forum for kitesurfers

xstar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Freestyle board size question naish thorn?

Postby xstar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi I was hoping that someone can help?
I was wondering what the differences are with riding a smaller board like a 128 to a larger board 136? What do you gain or loose going up and down?
Also what effects to width have?
I am just about to by a new board probably a Naish Thorn 131 or 133 as that's what I ride already (131) after a misfit 126 that I thought was too small.
The Thorns are also wider this year.
I am 5.11 80kg 176lbs looking to ride from 14knots-30+ (surfboard under this) I would say I'm intermediate enjoying the huge airs along with the basic unhooked wakestyle tricks & starting to loop now.
It's confusing as I'm at a advanced level at wakeboarding and this year moved from a 138 to a 142 it's spins a little slower but I am going bigger on my jumps and landing much more consistently and am very happy I went up a couple of sizes.
Kiteboarding is a different sport so I'm sure different rules apply?
It seems also that the trend as kitesurfing evolves that the boards are getting bigger this year?
I don't have a pro shop where I live so I cannot demo different boards and everyone locally seems to ride toothpicks & I cannot afford a quiver of freestyle boards so it has to be my all-rounder.
Thanks for your time

Richtw
Medium Poster

Postby Richtw » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:15 pm

I have just got a 129 x 39 Naish Thorn and it rocks. I weigh less than you at 68Kg but it is a fantastic board. Really does feel a lot bigger under your feet than the size dictates.....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:25 pm

well you obviously gain some in the low end. However going too big...will lead to poor high wind performance.

I used to ride a 122, and at 200lb, it worked pretty well, except for in light winds....also by going bigger, it was way easier to unhook and land tricks like that. I think it is easier in any case since the newer boards are so much better.

I am actually looking at the same board. The 08 looks really nice, I've had a short taste, and it felt super nice for sure...still didn't get enough time to say what the big differences are...a slightly looser feel than the 07, but still lots of control, pop seemed very good...it felt more polished? Very nice actually.

I'd say the right sized board will not loose a lot in the high end compared to a too small board, but it will gain in the low end, it will make it easier to land tricks as you said, and gain control after especially unhooked tricks.

A.

xstar
Medium Poster

Postby xstar » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:14 am

Cheers for the advice tautologies, Looking forward to getting the board!

Return to “Kitesurfing”