Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite looping

forum for kitesurfers

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Kite looping

Postby Dr_Rosen » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:08 pm

What are the fundamentals in a kite loop? (the steps).
.......Is it difficult or does it just requires some "balls"??

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:25 pm

You pull on the bar...?

Either you could ease into kiteloops or you could go all in

jatkinson
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jatkinson » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Here is a pretty good article. It covers the basics, from there it is all about balls and commitment, something that I admit I am still working on.

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/mod ... =0&thold=0

I find that unhooked kiteloops are easier, possibly because with both hands on one side of the bar there is no option but to commit.

JJ

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:37 pm

if u want to motivate yourself, try to think that peeps r learning to try those tricks over snow/hard snow and the impact is wayyy much harder than water... :p

if they try , u can try too :) with less suicidal tendancies :idea:

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:35 pm

In the Progression: Advanced DVD, they break it down much like that article. I'm still getting them dialed, but here are the things that I found helped make it less of a "yank and pray" (or pay) exercise:

Practicing some gybes where you downloop the kite (as recommended by the DVD) - this helps you learn how long it will take for your kite to complete the loop, and how much you really need to crank the bar (i.e.: 100%). Also it helps you get the feel of the kite pulling you straight downwind as it passes through the power zone - and if it you're really uncomfortable, then you know you need to depower more, or you're simply not ready.

Cranking the bar all the way, and HOLDING IT there until the kite is all the way through the loop. Some guys just say "fully commit", and I think this is what they might actually mean - once you start the loop, you have to finish it. Backing off will just crash the kite straight down in the middle of the power zone (ouch - for you and the kite)...

For the first attempts, NOT starting the loop until you're descending. The dues you pay will be much less painful. You may end up needing to hold the bar cranked while you're riding out the landing, and the peanut gallery may sneer, but your odds of avoiding a big wipe-out are much better, and you'll progress faster with less pain.

After you get the hang of it "the easy way", you can try cranking the bar a little sooner and a little sooner until eventually you're doing it near (or before) the apex of your jump and the kite is through the loop before you touch down. As with a lot of other tricks, it's a very rewarding feeling when you finally get it right and ride away clean (even if you're not nailing it every time yet).

local
Medium Poster

Postby local » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Start out when you are underpowered and just get used to looping the kite without jumping. Then leave your balls at the beach and get some decent air, shortly after you lift off pull as hard as you can on the rear hand while keeping your body steady. This is where is gets critical. As you see the kite diving straight down and loose the lift as you are still in the air YOU HAVE TO CONTINUE THE LOOP. There is a point of no return at which you have to commit all the way around. U will be coming in fast, so steer your board downwind and stick the landing. :thumb:

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Last but not least, the obvious: point your board straight downwind. At first, it almost feels like you're pointing it backward - practicing those downloop gybes helps with this somewhat.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite looping

Postby purdyd » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:58 pm

Dr_Rosen wrote:What are the fundamentals in a kite loop? (the steps).
.......Is it difficult or does it just requires some "balls"??
it is easy - just takes some balls - do it in light winds get the kite up high jump and pull with the back hand

wear an impact vest

:thumb:

David

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:51 pm

sorry if this is a dumb question but by downloop do you mean loop with backhand - just I thought downloops were kite looped with the front hand?

just want to clarify as it sounds a great idea to get into kiteloops

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:43 pm

downloop is a transition where instead of bringing the kite over your head upwards towards 12:00 you loop it downwards. Much easier than you think and I'm always surprised how few people do this. Especially if lightly powered it makes a transition much more fun & fast.

Return to “Kitesurfing”