Losing the bar on Kiteloops

forum for kitesurfers

Sumpamda
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Losing the bar on Kiteloops

Postby Sumpamda » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:03 pm

I've been working on my unhooked kite loops all season. Sometimes they go smoothly, other times not so well. When they go bad it's usually because the bar gets ripped out of my hands about 1/2 way through the loop. Other than the obvious 'hold on tighter' does anyone have any tips?
Thanks.

Hairy
Medium Poster

Postby Hairy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:38 pm

Depower the kite a bit more (another obvious one - sorry :))

fkb
Medium Poster

Postby fkb » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:34 pm

Ride towards it briefly to take off just a little power....

Hurts like hell when that happens doesn't it! Red hands!

Sumpamda
Medium Poster

Postby Sumpamda » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:08 am

fkb wrote:Ride towards it briefly to take off just a little power....

Hurts like hell when that happens doesn't it! Red hands!
You mean ride towards it before I initiate the loop or initiate the loop, ride towards it a bit, then take off.

I guess what I'm getting at is when should I be loading up and when should I be taking off the water relative to the kite position going around the clock?

Yeah, it hurts like hell. So does the landing sometimes:
Attachments
LostBar.jpg
LostBar.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 907 times

ethanknight
Medium Poster

Postby ethanknight » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:40 am

If your grip is just very weak you could do what a lot of weight lifters do when dead lifting heavy, do an over under grip. This way one of your hands is facing down and the other one up. You can hold much more power with this grip. You should do some workouts to increase your grip strength in the mean time.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:24 am

Nice to see your still pushing it SUMP!

been wondering how your loops were doing.

gloves might help too? I only ride with gloves do to work (and no Im not a "hand model" like our faithful moderator) and I never have any problem with slippage but then again Im not doing f16s any more.

you might also consider where the kite is relative to the power zone when its in certain positions of its loops.

eg a loop that swings wide and outside will have a less powerful sideways and dowward pull while a stronger upswing. A loop that drives hard immediately through the PZ will have a hard forward pull with a fast sideways pull followed by a weak upstroke.

Sumpamda
Medium Poster

Postby Sumpamda » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:36 am

scklandl wrote:you might also consider where the kite is relative to the power zone when its in certain positions of its loops.

eg a loop that swings wide and outside will have a less powerful sideways and dowward pull while a stronger upswing. A loop that drives hard immediately through the PZ will have a hard forward pull with a fast sideways pull followed by a weak upstroke.
That makes sense but how do you go about controlling this?

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:37 am

you control it by everything you do. intitial pull, edge release, exponential pull.

Im just starting to figure out kite placement but ill have a go at it.

to get a less powerful spike on the down and side stroke, start with the kite higher. pull with the back hand. enough to initiate a good jump but not really a kite loop pull. Once initiated back off on the pull but keep the kite drifting rearwards. As youre going up you should keep pulling with just this hand till the kite is probably at 10:30 (or 1:30) Then its time to make the kite turn as fast as neccessary to get it back above you. the kite should do its bottom turn before it re-enters the PZ. and be fully in the powerzone and be out in front of you or close to by now. hard quick yanks on the bar are gonna tear the bar outta your hands so always pull progressively not sporatically.

you can actually get a (small) kite to do a very powerful loop with the kite entirely behind you. EG. you can make a kiteloop happen entirely in the left half of the PZ where the loop happens entirely behind you.

RGH
Medium Poster

Postby RGH » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:08 am

Hey Sump,

Nobody is pointing in the direction of the bar, maybe that is the issue? I know World Champ Arron Hadlow had a lot of input on the Flexifoil carbon bar. It is the smallest diameter (that I've seen) and has an aggressive grip to keep you connected. I have the bare bars so you can use your same lines etc.

http://www.atlantickiteboarding.com

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:39 pm

If you want less pull on the bar, you simply have to pop off the water earlier.

Return to “Kitesurfing”