Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD Type 8 on 4 lines?

forum for kitesurfers

nalosurf
Rare Poster

RRD Type 8 on 4 lines?

Postby nalosurf » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to ride an RRD Type 8 on 4 lines instead of a 5th line setup? I would like to have a simple 4 line setup for unhooked wave riding.

hybbeh
Rare Poster

Postby hybbeh » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:53 pm

It's not, the kite will jellyfish alot. It is flyable, but performance is quite low.

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: Many

Postby singlemalt » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:06 am

I busted my 5th line while flying my type8 and the kite was definitely NOT happy. I could fly it back to shore but getting the 5th line trimmed just right is what that kite is all about. :thumb:

un-hooked
Medium Poster

Postby un-hooked » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:45 pm

from the horses mouth that they will fly ok on 4

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2333525&highlight=rrd+type

nalosurf
Rare Poster

Postby nalosurf » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks unhooked. Can I get a reply from RRD North America? You say it flew fine on fixed 4 line, can it also be flown chicken loop 4 line? According to the others that have replied so far it doesn't seem so. Is there maybe a trick to setting it up properly for 4 line with a chicken loop?

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby j1finnn1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:24 pm

Hey, Nalo.
The poster known as RRD north america isn't involved with RRD anymore, a new distribution company has taken over for north america.
I've been flying these kites for a while, using a regular 5th line bar instead of the active 5th line, and find the bar pressure to get really heavy when I leave the 5th line very slack and the wind picks up.
For a regular 5th line, i think it flies best with a wee bit of tension in the 5th, like 2 inches of slack or so. I also fly it with an adjustable 5th to play around with the tuning.

For an active 5th line (Total depower bar) you can leave the 5th quite slack (6 inches or so) when the par is pulled all the way in. Honestly, I got back on this bar the other week, and it was obvious that the kite really flies best with this bar. It was amazing how much difference it made. The bar pressure was perfect, and the kite got insanely fast ans responsive.

So, as a 4 line kite, it will fly, but the bar pressure will go way up, and the tips will curve in alot, making it look like a flying beach ball. If you do it, you should also pump the kite up til it's quite hard.

-Jeff

un-hooked
Medium Poster

Postby un-hooked » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:46 pm

i disagree, i fly mine on a slingshot 5 line bar and have the pigtails on the kites set to suit and i find they fly best with no tension on the 5th line

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby j1finnn1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:57 pm

Ok.

nalosurf
Rare Poster

Postby nalosurf » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:33 pm

Unhooked, what SS bar are you using and how do you like it for unhooked riding. The SS bars just seem very crowded and busy below the bar. However, I do like the fact that they are adjustable on the fly and have a quick release in case in gets bowtied. Does anyone know if the 2007 Airush 5th line bars have these features.

un-hooked
Medium Poster

Postby un-hooked » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:11 pm

its the 07 bar, ive tried alot of the 07 bars and this was the best for me
yes its a bit cluttered to start with but i dont notice any more, remove the donkey dick and its a nice big loop thats easy in and out the trim cleat can be a bit tricky to use to start with but agian im now use to it
i thought the wave grenade would be hand to have but ive never used it to be honest, if the kite rolls and the 5th line goes over the top i usually just jiggle it till it slips off the side then ride back in

the airush bar dosnt have a 5th line cleat and is a bit too easy to accidently release for my liking

Return to “Kitesurfing”