Death in Seattle

forum for kitesurfers

mlcrisis
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Death in Seattle

Postby mlcrisis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:50 am

Details will be forthcoming. Right now we grieve the loss of a brother. Please be safe.

mlcrisis
Medium Poster

Postby mlcrisis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:08 am

Friday, October 19, 2007 - Page updated at 02:03 a.m.

1 killed, 1 hurt in windstorm

A 44-year-old kite surfer died Thursday afternoon on Lake Washington amid a brief but powerful windstorm that also knocked a tree onto a woman in Kent as it swept through the Puget Sound region.

The Seattle man, whose name was not released, was the only reported death as steady winds hit 40 mph, with gusts in the mid-50s. Tens of thousands of people also lost power for a time in the storm, which toppled trees and blew debris onto roadways, cars and houses.

The man was reported facedown in the lake at 5:27 p.m., about a half-mile west of the Kirkland Marina Park, said Jeff Kappel, a Seattle police spokesman.

"He was apparently unresponsive," Kappel said. "There were friends out there along with him, and they're the ones that called it in."

A spokeswoman for Harborview Medical Center in Seattle confirmed the death but would not release any details.

Jon LaFollett, 44, of Kirkland, was another kite surfer who had been in the lake. He did not see the accident and did not know the victim.

He said the wind Thursday was "a good southerly storm," which made for "not an easy kiting day," but he was able to make jumps off the water that reached 50 feet.

Kitebdr1962
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Melbourne, Fla..
Favorite Beaches: Melbourne Beach, Fla...OBX....Gorge...
Style: Wave..Kitesurfing
Gear: Ozone..(Reo)...Crazy-Fly..(Sclup)...Blade..(Trigger)...Nobile..(T5)

Nobile NHP..134 x 42
Litewave Surfbd..5'7"

Postby Kitebdr1962 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:57 am

How can someone tell Us that it was "A Good Southerly Storm", and NOT know that it was Stormy.....If it was Stormy, why in the He** were these Guys out in this weather...If this Guy was out in it, the Gentleman who passed on, Why did He NOT get off the Water...We will never know, what was in His mind at the time, but this is Why you take Lessons, instead of "Doing this Sport" on your own...Even if He did take Lessons, then He should have know to get off the water, before the so called Storm/Gust hit...It just did not come out of the blue, without some kind of warning before it hit....Think Safety, Not Ego...I am very Sad to hear of this kind of Stuff, but We, as Kiteboarders, need to know how to read the weather, because Mother Nature can be Our friend, or She can kick Our butts.....

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:47 am

This sounds like a case of sailing right to last second. People sometimes push the time limit right before storm because the wind often gets better and better right up to the point it greatly exceeds the riders ability or the kites high end limit. Of course these riders may not have seen it before it hit. We all know that there is no way to control a kite after wind velocity reaches a certian point (different for different sizes, makes and models) Weather and wind are awsome forces of nature. Wherever you sail you should be familiar with the local signs of aproaching storms. If you go somewhere new get the skinny from the local guys before you sail.

My condolances to this mans family and friends.

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:35 pm

When would you guys stop riding? I mean what's your wind limit.
I have been out in 36-40 knots with a 7 m2 SB1 (good depower). Felt quite safe, but don't think I would go out in more.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:45 pm

People have to realize that kiting in 35+++ knots is very very very dangerous. In these kind of condition things happen very fast. And most accidents happen in strong winds.
I am very sorry to what happen but flying a kite is like flying a plane or any other kind of sports that has to do with flying. That is why you always have to check the weather or the wind conditions before you put the kite up.
Again I am so sorry, my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

P.S. Most of my kiting is from 14 to 30 knots. Don't take me wrong, I will kite above 30 but this is only for special occasions i.e (photos shoots, R&D, contest)

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:11 pm

Dr_Rosen wrote:When would you guys stop riding? I mean what's your wind limit.
I have been out in 36-40 knots with a 7 m2 SB1 (good depower). Felt quite safe, but don't think I would go out in more.
There is a HUGE difference between a steady 35kts on a small kite, and gusty/stormy 25-50.

And there's a huge difference between feeling safe and actually BEING safe - that kind of complacency can get you killed in those conditions.

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:17 pm

A sad day.

Delta Air Lines pilot Capt. Dan B. (name withheld) reportedly drowned in Lake Washington on Thursday during a windstorm. Dan was hired in January, 1990, and had been most recently based in Salt Lake City.

1 killed, 1 hurt in windstorm
By Erik Lacitis

Seattle Times staff reporter

A 44-year-old kite surfer died Thursday afternoon on Lake Washington amid a brief but powerful windstorm that also knocked a tree onto a woman in Kent as it swept through the Puget Sound region.

The Seattle man, whose name was not released, was the only reported death as steady winds hit 40 mph, with gusts in the mid-50s. Tens of thousands of people also lost power for a time in the storm, which toppled trees and blew debris onto roadways, cars and houses.

The man was reported facedown in the lake at 5:27 p.m., about a half-mile west of the Kirkland Marina Park, said Jeff Kappel, a Seattle police spokesman.

"He was apparently unresponsive," Kappel said. "There were friends out there along with him, and they're the ones that called it in."

A spokeswoman for Harborview Medical Center in Seattle confirmed the death but would not release any details.

Jon LaFollett, 44, of Kirkland, was another kite surfer who had been in the lake. He did not see the accident and did not know the victim.

He said the wind Thursday was "a good southerly storm," which made for "not an easy kiting day," but he was able to make jumps off the water that reached 50 feet.

-------------------------------------------------
more news clips, Seattle PI:

As the wind whipped, sometimes over 50 mph, emergency crews responded to a flood of calls. The highest reported gust was 62 mph in Spanaway, and the wind forced the closure of the Hood Canal Bridge for nearly three hours, starting at 4:30 p.m. One of the most serious emergency calls came at 5:30 p.m. from a Lake Washington kite boarder who watched as another boarder was dragged north by the gusting wind. A Seattle police patrol boat found the 44-year-old boarder floating face down about half a mile from the Kirkland marina, Officer Jeff Kappel said. When rescuers pulled the Seattle man from the water he was unresponsive and not breathing. Police aboard the Harbor Patrol boat performed CPR on the man, as did medics who rushed him to Harborview Medical Center. Fire Department spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick said the man did not regain consciousness on the trip to the hospital. Stowing his gear at Magnuson Park just before sundown, kite boarder Larry Breuer said the thoughts and prayers of the rest of the boarders were with the victim and his family. Breuer, who's been in the sport nearly a year, was one of a number of boarders out on Lake Washington as the wind picked up Thursday afternoon. He said sustained wind speeds were not particularly severe, but that some gusts might have topped 40 mph. "When you're out there, you're one with the environment," Breuer said.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Kites:

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

ASP Stealth Custom Kiteboard 135cm 2013 Black
Fone HRD Lite Tech 137x42cm 2017
Core Fusion 2 139x43 2017
Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Underground Kipuna 5'8" Surfboard
Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surfboard
Alpine Foil Access V1 Foil and board
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:45 pm

Guys, please show some respect to our fallen brother's family and friends, they will read these posts. It is so easy to say i told you so! from the comfort and anonymity of thousands of kilometers behind your computer screen and "screen name". The conditions sound like they were strong but no one will ever know what went wrong but Dan, and he can't tell us now.
Please reserve your judgements, we are mostly adults, and we are all responsible for our own actions. Every time there is a death everyone says the same things, just take what learnings you can.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:59 pm

Dr_Rosen wrote:When would you guys stop riding? I mean what's your wind limit.
Most stay out until they've had their first "close call" of the session. That's their signal that it may be getting too hairy. But, sometimes that first close call is the real thing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”