forum for kitesurfers

seano
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Generator vs Reactor vs SS fuel

Postby seano » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:07 am

Hey,

I havn't heard enough about these kites, what I've seen of Felix & TopHat on Youtube looks good.

I've been on SS Fuels for the last 6 yrs, 2-3 years ago I phased out tt freestyle to concentrate on waveriding surfboards strapless & unhooked.

So has anyone got experience flying Reactors,Generators & Fuels ? Could you give me some comparisons?

Also would like to know if the Generator was designed by Ben Severne ( there has been a previous post about Reactors - Generators but it was unclear - one post said Ben had stopped kite design after Reactor )

seano
Medium Poster

Postby seano » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:45 am

come on give me some feedback here!

A perfect oppotunity to extoll the virtues of generators, reactors & fuels.

I was expecting something from the Airush dude on this forum at least, if not SWK or TopHat

TopHat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1971
Local Beach: Localism is a Social Problem.
Style: Unknown to you...
Gear: A SURFBOARD
A FIXED PULLEY BAR
A C-KITE From a Company that Mocks Me
Brand Affiliation: No Brands or Tattoos
I BUY MY OWN...

Postby TopHat » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:25 am

SWK lost his dog and is out looking for her. I Do Not Post Much...I will have a couple of drinks and think up something comparative about the kites you mentioned. Sorry for the delay in response, I was in the water...

felixpivec
Rare Poster

Postby felixpivec » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:38 am

Hi there
Well I have to say these kites are awesome.
If you want a kite that out performs any kite out there.The generator is the one.
For example
We are on 7.5 Generators when the other guys at our beach are still on 12m Helix kites.
The Generator is simple and straight forward .
It is the kite of the future that has been under hyped.
Its is a Severne Design so you have nothing to worry about..
Hope you can get your hands on one.

seano
Medium Poster

Postby seano » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks for replies, give me more information please, I'd like to hear about how these kites fly & your typical session /conditions

From what I've seen on youtube the generator looks very light on the bar ... i'm guessing it flys off the front lines more than a fuel. Maybe thats why you can fly it with fixed bar?

I'm in NZ & we get really big variations in wind - Say I'm out on my 7m (it's really a 7.something- closer to an 8 ) :
I'll fly unhooked with no depower in 18-23kt.... the wind might start to fill to 25-30kts so I'll pull on some depower & a bit of 5th line..... then the wind will start to crank 30-35kts & i'll have as much depower & 5th line that it's possible to trim on and still fly unhooked... next the wind will drop out & i'll be back to flying unhooked with no depower.... this cycle might repeat itself every 20mins.

What would you say is the bottom/top end of the 5.5, 7.5 & 9.5 ?

Why do you guys keep saying,' get one - IF you can get one?' Does airush not intend to produce many?

I do have a mate Trent who works for Airush- will I have to pull his strings just to try one of these kites ?

Hope SWK finds his dog, loosing one of those can be a real bitch

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:17 am

The Generator evolved from Reactor and although similar has been improved in a number of areas.

The Generator is able to generate a lot of pull when flying it fast through the window, and its able to fly with very little pull whilst still turning great when flown static. This makes it a really good kite to fly unhooked as you can pretty much go down one kitesize.

Case in point is Tophat and Felix use 7.5m as their bigget kite. I ordered the 9.5m for the light days 12-14kn and reckon I can use the 7.5m in anything over that (weighing in at 86kg)

Compared to the Fuel the Generator is faster, less grunty as it sits slightly further forward. The power is generated by working the kite as opposed to flying more cloth that sits deeper in window.

We fly the kite in 4 line mode although it comes kitted ot with 5th line - your choice, 5th line is not trimmable on the fly (not neccesary as trim on depower strap is sufficient).

Sounds like a good quiver for you would be 5.5m and 7.5m - those will be the 2 sizes that I will use 90% of the time in Cape Town.

Kites are being shipped to distributors now so should be available during Oct.

seano
Medium Poster

Postby seano » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:49 pm

Thanks PeterP, that was a helpfull post - i would really appreciate some more input if there are other guys out there with experience kiting waves unhooked riding Airush generator/reactor or SS fuel.

It seems that I'm having to do too much trimming on the 5th line with my 7m fuel at its top end, which is a good indication that PeterP is right about the fuel sitting back in the window more than I want it to for unhooking when the wind is cranking 25-35kts

Pictures can speak louder than words I guess - everything I've seen of Felix is inspiring - but Felix, you would shred the waves no matter what gear you were riding.... So it's good to get some feedback other than "These kites are awesome "

From what I can see from the "backpack cam" (great effort guys!) I'm guessing the generator would suit my riding.

5mmkiter
Medium Poster

Postby 5mmkiter » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Somewhat off topic but a quick question none the less. Unhooked wave riding with C kites only really works for down the line stuff?? Is this correct?

We get some decent size waves here but it is only wind swell, so when the waves are big, the waves and the wind are almost directly on shore for the part. Now in these conditions am I better off riding a kite with more depower (SLE/BOW) and a different style board (60/40 etc) or do I just need to work on it some more??

seano
Medium Poster

Postby seano » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:22 am

yeah 5mm, you're well O/T on that one & I hope this post doesn't get hijacked by what has become a repetitive & contentious topic.

99% of people riding waves now seem to prefer hooked in SLE/BOW

There has been a big uptake on riding "surfboards" (majority strapped & low volume sub-6ft )

I guess around 50-60% of riders will still insist tt's or mutants work too - maybe more.

I guess it's about personal preference - just find what works for you - one thing about this sport is keep your mind open 'cos it's developing fast.

And when I say keep your mind open I also mean the 99% of SLE/BOW riders - take a good look at the top-level guys who are riding unhooked/strapless & killing it in the waves

I have only had any success with a Bow-hybrid in gusty side-off but thats felt restricted by having to stay hooked in & do the bar dance.

Personally I prefer unhooked-strapless, 5'11"- 6ft surfboard & C kite, the conditons I ride in are gusty. At home i ride on-shore / side-on. 3hrs drive down the road Taranaki is usually gusty side-shore / side-off

I think the only limitation with unhooking is the performance of the kite when its flying on fixed lines, I will try and get hold of a generator 7.5m & give it a go - any more posts about it would be appreciated

5mmkiter
Medium Poster

Postby 5mmkiter » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:40 am

Thanks for the reply seano.

I don't want the post to get hijacked either, just felt like asking a couple people who seem to know what they are talking about which you don't get in most threads.

No more posts about this them, back on topic. This topic is interesting for me as well being a Fuel rider.

Return to “Kitesurfing”