Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

4 months in Portugal or elsewhere with a 3 months kid-Where?

forum for kitesurfers

sl2007
Rare Poster

4 months in Portugal or elsewhere with a 3 months kid-Where?

Postby sl2007 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:33 pm

We plan, my girlfriend and I, to spend 4 months in Portugal next spring-summer (may/june to august/september). We would like to rent a house somewhere near a quiet beach with waves and wind (surf and kitesurf). We're mainly looking for a not too crowded place (not at all crowed would be great!) because we're not really going to Portugal for nightlife (and there are good chances that we'll be three next summer!).

A village near a beach with waves in the morning and wind+waves would be wonderful! (I know it would be heaven on earth :D ).

Any portuguese kiter out there who can give some useful information? Is there a portuguese kitesurf/surf forum?

Any suggestion on another place to go where we can rent a house with a new born (3 months if everything runs ok) welcome!

Many thanks,
SL

PS: we're not really rich so that 5 stars houses are not for us!

sl2007
Rare Poster

Postby sl2007 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:24 pm

anyone?

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Choice 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR3 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kirok » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:10 pm

try Alvor in the Algarve. That is where I would go.
Good lagoon estuary for flat water. Great wave riding ocean side. Good steady winds.

For the wifey:
Good restaurants
World renowned handmade pottery (Porsche)
Fantastic beaches
Friendly people.
Albufiera, a big shopping paradise nearby

You can get more infor at: http://www.windbrigade.com

regards
Kirk

Seaman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Seaman » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Places with the qualities you are looking for:

- Lagoa de albufeira/Meco/Sesimbra/Caparica - near Lisbon (wind and waves; only crowded in the summer weekends, but you have several km of beaches and can find nice uncrowed spots - my spot);
- Alvor-Algarve (flat water and waves, a little crowded in the summer and expensive).
- Sines in the south (huge beaches - 50 km :o of them, beautifull landscapes, desert beaches).
- Viana - North of Portugal (the water is a little cold but has windy like hell and good waves).

These are only a few spots. There are many more. It´s a mather of researching. We have more than 1000 Km of coast.

Runes
Rare Poster

Postby Runes » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:46 pm

There might be places in Portugal that would be sutable, but I wolud not recomend Alvor/Lagos/Algarve as a "peternaty-leave spot". We were there 2 weeks this summer with a 2,5 year and a 4 months kids and in my opinion it is to much driving to be suitable for babies. (the spots are quite far away from each other, espeasially the good wave spots)

When we were there the wind in the flatwater laguna in Alvor came at 16 (or later) in the afternoon thus it means that there are missmatch with family-dinner etc.

There is quite a few things that has to match be a good kite with a baby spot. In my opinion:
- Sideshore wind
- Shelter for wind that are in viewable distance from where you kite (your wife will get tired lying in a wind-tent with sand all over ....)
- Comfy temp, so that 10 ms dont feel cold
- Nice beach for the kid to play at
- Restaurants at the beach is a good thing
- Easy accessable spot (to bring a kid the gear you have to bring tripples)

* We were in Ceara - Brasil for 2 months with our first baby and that was perfect. Pousadas or restaurants at the beach, perfect wind and ....paradise. I'm pretty sure the wind statistics there are better than most of Portugal even in summer.
* We have also been in Paros with babies, it was better than the Lagos area in the sense of "Baby-fit" and the wind is uasually better in summer, I would then rent an apartment in Antiparos and store the gear at the kitecenter at Paros.
* IMO: The Tarifa area would be better for "baby-kiting" than Alvor even in summer. More wind, not wuch longer to drive to the spots (even if the beaches closest to Tarifa is closed), better infrastrucure etc..
* For the period you are planning to go I think Mauritius would be perfect (haven't been there tough.....). We planned to go there 3-4 months in the period you are talking about next year, but decided to go on a 4 month sailing-tour in scandinavia instead (with kites of course).
* Or maybe Cape-Verde?

Adding a picture from Brasil.....

jmopd
Frequent Poster

Postby jmopd » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:32 am

Nice pic :thumb:

bruno
Medium Poster

Postby bruno » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:30 pm

Consider Moledo do Minho. It's located on the North (frontier with Spain), there's good waves, but also flatwater (in a part of the beach, the waves are sheltered by a small island) and the village is just wonderful and laid back. There is a resort with apartements between Moledo and Caminha, but if you're lucky, you might find something in Moledo.

Wind is a little lighter than at Viana do Castelo (half hour drive).

have fun and good luck with the baby!

bruno
Medium Poster

Postby bruno » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:01 pm

posted twice for some reason
edited away
Last edited by bruno on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sl2007
Rare Poster

Postby sl2007 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:04 pm

Thank you very much for all the input...

I'll try yo digest all the info and I'll come back to the post if needed!

SL

Return to “Kitesurfing”