There might be places in Portugal that would be sutable, but I wolud not recomend Alvor/Lagos/Algarve as a "peternaty-leave spot". We were there 2 weeks this summer with a 2,5 year and a 4 months kids and in my opinion it is to much driving to be suitable for babies. (the spots are quite far away from each other, espeasially the good wave spots)
When we were there the wind in the flatwater laguna in Alvor came at 16 (or later) in the afternoon thus it means that there are missmatch with family-dinner etc.
There is quite a few things that has to match be a good kite with a baby spot. In my opinion:
- Sideshore wind
- Shelter for wind that are in viewable distance from where you kite (your wife will get tired lying in a wind-tent with sand all over ....)
- Comfy temp, so that 10 ms dont feel cold
- Nice beach for the kid to play at
- Restaurants at the beach is a good thing
- Easy accessable spot (to bring a kid the gear you have to bring tripples)
* We were in Ceara - Brasil for 2 months with our first baby and that was perfect. Pousadas or restaurants at the beach, perfect wind and ....paradise. I'm pretty sure the wind statistics there are better than most of Portugal even in summer.
* We have also been in Paros with babies, it was better than the Lagos area in the sense of "Baby-fit" and the wind is uasually better in summer, I would then rent an apartment in Antiparos and store the gear at the kitecenter at Paros.
* IMO: The Tarifa area would be better for "baby-kiting" than Alvor even in summer. More wind, not wuch longer to drive to the spots (even if the beaches closest to Tarifa is closed), better infrastrucure etc..
* For the period you are planning to go I think Mauritius would be perfect (haven't been there tough.....). We planned to go there 3-4 months in the period you are talking about next year, but decided to go on a 4 month sailing-tour in scandinavia instead (with kites of course).
* Or maybe Cape-Verde?
Adding a picture from Brasil.....