Best (not the brand) build quality

forum for kitesurfers

Oooops
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Best (not the brand) build quality

Postby Oooops » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:11 pm

OK.... here we go. I own Norths, I like the way they fly compared to other kites I have tried. Although build quality is OK in most cases (will not get into 2 pump issue or bladders), I don't think it's "the best". Who makes the best quality kites (and WHY)? I'm not talking about flying characteristics, I'm talking stitching, reinforcing, workmanship, etc. Perhaps we should leave bars and bags out of it too simplify...

At the end of day I'm going to purchase a kite that personally feels good up in the air when I go out for a session, but just curious about overall best quality control, despite how the kite flys. Slingshot?, Ozone? Flysurfer? Who would win "best construction" award at an award dinner? Or is it too close in many cases to say? Does no one really stand out?
Last edited by Oooops on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmopd
Frequent Poster

Postby jmopd » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:19 pm

GK-2007 & 2008
flexifoil

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:21 pm

Best and Gloderider get it for there leading edge seam. Ocean Rodeo gets it for everything else.

None make a bad kite.

It should be standard now that all L.E seams be wrapped, but best and gloderider have taken it one step further and reinforced between the seam to prevent perforation from thread when the leading edge is pumped hard.

Ocean rodeo has dacron running down the middle of the canopy, the trailing edge. There build tough.

Seaman
Frequent Poster

Postby Seaman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:21 pm

Slingshot
Flexifoil

Best quality...but sometimes a bit over built making repairs more dificult.

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Flexifoil and slingshot don't have a reinforced L.E. seam or reinforce the trailing edge on their kites.

They shouldn't be on here.

pebbles
Frequent Poster

Postby pebbles » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:39 pm

I have the 07 GK Trix and it is bomber. I self launch and land 90% of the time, so build is important for me. On the smallest strut is a pad that the kite rests on when self launching, the canopy hardly touches at all!

Oh yeah, you don't have to pump them rock hard either, just enough to get the wrinkles out.

Later

pebbles

Larse
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs , DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Favorite Beaches: Poppelvej, DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Style: Wakestyle/freestyle
Gear: LF Nirvana, Envy, LF DLX and LF LFX
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force and http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com

Postby Larse » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:19 pm

I guess only 2008 is relevant:

BEST and Eclipse are those kites, I've seen so far, that I think are made of the best quality. Not just because I'm riding Eclipse. If you get an eclipse kite in your hands, you will know what I'm talking about. Every little detail is thought through on the kite and the bar. And the reinforcements are great like the trailing edge has shark skinn, leading edge has leather and rubber and the tips have double dacron. All for extra protection where needed. You can smash that kite on, and the kite will just be ready for beating...

Elipse saved no money on the qaulity. The best pulleys, the best materiel for the kites, and the best stichting I've seen so far.

BEST have really succeeded with their cuben fiber this year. The rest of the kites is BEST good standard.

I don't wonna trash any brands, so I wont comment on which I don't like....

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:07 pm

Best are certainly the most improved.

From 06 to 08 is a huge difference.

Ocean Rodeo are bomber. Ive got a demo at the mo and it is really well put together and more importantly well thought out. Not overdone, but no detail missed and no weak points. Of any of the kites Ive had my hands on the Ocean Rodeo's would be my pick for best construction.

Ive never had the chance to check out Flexi or Caution which are also reputed to be tough.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:15 pm

Brent4336 wrote:Best are certainly the most improved....... partial quote

Sure seems like it. I bought my first Best kite this year. Mainly due to it's performance, but build quality factored in heavily, as well. The kites have steadily improved year to year.

I still think Flexi is top dog in terms of build quality. Mainly because I have a few from over the years, and have never had an issue. I have never seen an issue occur with others that own them, either.

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:20 pm

Flexifoil, Slingshot + Ozone
:mosh:

Return to “Kitesurfing”