beach hotel Tulum

forum for kitesurfers

Waldo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

beach hotel Tulum

Postby Waldo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Can anyone recommend an affordable but clean beach hotel in Tulum, Mexico. So far, the only kite hotel I've found is http://www.uolisnah.com/, which looks great but appears to be 3 kilometers from the sea.
Please also let me know if it's feasible and worth to do a day trip to Cozumel, or is that too far?
Cheers,
Walter

tstansbury
Medium Poster

Postby tstansbury » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:16 pm

I am staying at hotel parayso in feb I hope to kite out front. check out locogringo.com go to maps then arial photos and scroll down the beach and you can click on hotels.

tulumkite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Playa del carmen, Coco beach.Quintana Roo.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete Kite Beach D.R.
Isla Blanca Mexico
Coco Beach mexico
Style: Old School, Big Air, ^ freestyle.
Gear: EH Cabarete Kiteboarding
Location: Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Cancun, Mayan Riviera

tulum

Postby tulumkite » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:38 pm

go to http://www.extremecontrol.net and send my friend Marco an E mail, he also manages uolish nah, but also la zebra which is a kiteboarders hotel right on the beach, tell him that David recommend you...

saludos

ytcapz
Rare Poster

Postby ytcapz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:59 am

I'm thinking of going to Tulum in March. I've done quite a bit of reading up, but can anyone tell me:

a) how steep is the beach (ie: how's the swimming for 7-12 year olds)?
b) how sensitive will our Canadian stomachs be to the tap water?
c) how's the personal security situation (everything I read keeps saying to not take anything valueable out of your hotel room...)?
d) how are the conditions for my 12 year old to learn in (the beach looks big, but is it crowded? and how about the shorebreak?)
e) I can't seem to find accommodations that will make my wife happy (on the beach, with meals included)
f) are there other kids there?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Kites:

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

ASP Stealth Custom Kiteboard 135cm 2013 Black
Fone HRD Lite Tech 137x42cm 2017
Core Fusion 2 139x43 2017
Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Underground Kipuna 5'8" Surfboard
Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surfboard
Alpine Foil Access V1 Foil and board
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:23 am

The beach is not steep, the first 50 meters or so are quite shallow, no problem for kids when i went, but i can tell you that might have changed with the hurricanes but i find it unlikely, as there are many reefs, etc.
The conditions should be fine for your kid to learn on the beach, it is very long so i am sure you can find an area with no people around. Shore break is usually very small because there are outer reefs.
Personal security should be fine if you are used to keeping an eye out, and dont wear lots of jewelery or fancy watches. As anywhere else, dont leave cameras, wallets, unatended on the beach, etc. But basically Tulum is very relaxed, as is most of the mayan riviera.
There is a very nice hotel on the beach called Mezzanine i think, your wife would be very happy, the food is great. Send Marco an email at xtremecontrol, he lives there. The mezzanine is not all inclusive though.
Cheers

Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mattdog » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:03 am

Really gorgeous wide white beach when I was there 3 or 4 years ago.

Watch out for people on beach when launching. This is just a flat water spot. Maybe the waves pick up but not when I was there. There is a small reef about 300 m offshore.

My digital cam was stolen when I left it behind on my restaurant table for 5 minutes. Be careful.

Thump
Rare Poster

Postby Thump » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:55 pm

ytcapz,

Check out Zamas. A little more expensive than your typical beach cabanas, but super safe, laid back, great for kids, attentive staff, and wonderful restaurant. We never even lock our door when we go there (whether we are there or not.)

They do not serve tap water anywhere in the Yucatan. Mexicans cannot drink it either. All fruit is washed with purified water. All ice is made with purified water. Most hotels (Zamas included) give you a 5 gallon cooler of purified water and refill it whenever necessary. Use it even to brush your teeth!

Best kite beach is down the road towards the ruins (can't remember the name right now.) Enormous beach, reef is a quick 4-5 minute swim out if you want to snorkle, and really smooth on the inside for the kids. Alternatively, if you want to be absolutely all alone, go south into Sian Kaan Biosphere and you'll find 100s of miles of deserted, beautiful beach.

As far as leaving valuables on the beach, make like the pirates did and bury your booty!

ytcapz
Rare Poster

Postby ytcapz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:42 pm

Awesome. Thanks everyone!

MikeDobell
Medium Poster

Postby MikeDobell » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:40 pm

we stayed here last year. nice place. much better waves and (clean in between) than the areas further north near the extreme control launch (heavy chop). also a cleaner fetch for the ne winds.

it is a yoga resort. also some nudity. if you're cool with that i'd highly reccomend. food was great. bathroom in the cabana which is a nice feature. mostly middle-adged hippies staying there.

http://www.ecotulum.com/

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Hey Mike - that place looks hippy dippy for sure!!! LOL.

Anyway, what's the water temp like there? I am headed there this Christmas with my lady and have been told by Marco to consider bringing a light wetsuit...is it really needed? I had kind of hoped it would be warm Caribian waters?

JZ

Return to “Kitesurfing”