Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Managing spaghetti

forum for kitesurfers

lava_JW
Rare Poster

Managing spaghetti

Postby lava_JW » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:02 pm

The scenario is that you are out riding in sideshore winds and the wind dies to a level where it is imposible to relaunch. There is a couple of knots of residual wind that puts a light pull on your downed kite, but you need to swim in with the kite.

What techniques are people having luck with to wind up the lines and swim in with the kite while in the water? Is there a safe method to do so as well (in case the wind did pick up again)? I seem to end up with a tangled mess [SPAGHETTI] when this happens to me.

Aloha.

Dionisis
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dionisis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm

nice question. the same have happened to me in the past. :-?

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:44 pm

There is an article here that covers it:

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/kiteboardi ... water.aspx

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:00 am

Hey,

I was reading another post and another method is attaching your board to the chicken loop. Let the bar and board float free and work your way to the kite for a self rescue. Is this a good method? I was thinking in some situations you need to get in asap and not blow downwind in to rocks or marsh areas.

Clew In

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:08 am

Here is a good, quick alternative to wrapping up your lines, as suggested by CG:

Attach your chicken loop or bar to your board, and then pull yourself along one of the kite lines until you reach the kite. In this fashion, it's easy to prevent tangles and avoid getting yourself wrapped up.

Then you can deal with your kite and swim to shore, while your lines, bar and board trail neatly behind you. This works well, regardless of whether you deflate and roll up the kite, or self-rescue with the kite still inflated.

If the wind comes up again, and you haven't deflated the kite, you stand a pretty good chance of retrieving your bar and relaunching your kite.

Cheers,
James

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:23 am

You may want to learn 2 or 3 different techniques for different locations and situations. Loose trailing lines and board can tangle in seaweed, and cause a whole variety of problems. Current, rocks, coral, swimmers, boats, and other things may enter into your judgment of the best technique to use.

At least become proficient in one of the techniques, where you wind up your lines onto the bar as you work your way to the kite. Learn how to hold the lines of the kite to turn the kite into a improvised form of a sailboat, using the kite to propel you towards your destination.

There have been lots of threads on this forum dealing with this subject.

If you can't find them using the search function, just say so, and I will look up a few for you.

pcalvin
Medium Poster

Postby pcalvin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:33 am

One thing I would add is that works much better if you have metal loop on one of your finscrews so that you can attach your leash there, rather than at the footstrap or handle.

This way, the the board and bar can drag freely rather than act as a sea anchor,

Phil
JS wrote:Here is a good, quick alternative to wrapping up your lines, as suggested by CG:

Attach your chicken loop or bar to your board, and then pull yourself along one of the kite lines until you reach the kite. In this fashion, it's easy to prevent tangles and avoid getting yourself wrapped up.

Then you can deal with your kite and swim to shore, while your lines, bar and board trail neatly behind you. This works well, regardless of whether you deflate and roll up the kite, or self-rescue with the kite still inflated.

If the wind comes up again, and you haven't deflated the kite, you stand a pretty good chance of retrieving your bar and relaunching your kite.

Cheers,
James

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:07 am

agree w/ js's method. i essentially attach board to chicken loop, then put the lines under my harness hook and belay the bar/board downwind and the kite to me then self-rescue.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:44 pm

clydesdale wrote:agree w/ js's method. i essentially attach board to chicken loop, then put the lines under my harness hook and belay the bar/board downwind and the kite to me then self-rescue.
In high or gusty wind, placing a wrap (or even 2 wraps) of the one tensioned line around the harness hook can be particularly useful in relieving the pressure of the tensioned line on your fingers. The kiter, with one hand, can pull the kite to the kiter, by pulling the line (coming from the kite), towards the hook, and at the same time, the kiter can use the other hand to pull the loose line away from the hook, pushing the loose line away from the kiter's body. Using this method of belaying in the kite, if the kite powers up or violently flips over, the harness hook takes the strain, rather than the kiters more delicate fingers.

That was an excellent suggestions, clydesdale.

However, you say "the lines". Did you mean just the one tensioned line?...Or do you have a reason for putting more than one line under the hook.

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm

original question was for when wind dies but still pulling u and kite downwind slightly- and all lines at once w/ board tensioning lines keeps them from getting tangled

i have done 1 line in the hook in high wind

Return to “Kitesurfing”