RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

TOO Much Wind ...

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:46 am

The wind is getting stronger fast, you suddenly have too big a flat kite* up, you're standing onshore there is no one downwind of you.

You are holding your bar all the way out but the power isn't dropping off enough. You are afraid things are going to bust loose with you getting dragged, maybe even lofted any second.

What should you do?

* flat kite = SLE, BOW, Bridled leading edge inflatable, etc..
Last edited by RickI on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

klimber
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby klimber » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 am

with other riders nearby.... carefully bring it down have have someone catch it

alone...
as the wind was building you should have moved the leash from suicide mode to up on a front line. gingerly work the kite over to the side that puts that leashed line topside, maybe even over the water, but at the same time with enough down wind clearance. pull the QR, fall on your ass, and watch it spin from one side of the window to the other. crawl up the line, toss on some weight and chill.

then pump up a smaller kite!

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:38 am

I like klimber's answer.

My first response was "Pull the chicken loop (CL) Quick Release (QR)", but if there's anyone straight downwind that could get hurt, then grab de-power strap and pull it even farther towards you to shorten the front lines and try to find the "flying neutral" point of least power, and holler at the folks down wind to "Watch out!" then, when clear downwind, pull the CL QR.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:45 am

I added a little to the scenario to try to reduce some of the variables. This is an important question as sometimes people don't know what to do, or perhaps forget during high wind emergencies.

What should you do?

klimber
Very Frequent Poster

Postby klimber » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:16 am

I wouldn't even attempt to yank on the de-power strap, if you hadn't pulled it in already it is too late .

That would mean taking a hand off the bar and that kite is going to be twitchy as hell if it is at or above it's top range. if you do manage to to get a hold of the strap every time you yank the strap the kite will move just a " l i t t l e" bit forward in the window and when you let go of the strap the rear lines will pull it back down into the window a "tiny" bit giving you a small surge on top of what you are already going through all while you are holding on with only one hand.

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:17 am

This is just a beginner's answer, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I am assuming I will be alone, because I usually am, or if I am near shore (in other words chance for getting pounded on hard ground), people or not, I will also do the same, provided it is not in danger of entangling anyone.

When I say people on the beach and no danger, I mean if the power is still too much, I am not waiting for someone to catch it, it is coming down provided it is safe.

If it is really starting to gust and having it all the way out is not enough depower, I am shoving past the safety release for a complete depower and making a mental note where my knife is.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:26 am

You should reach down with all five and grab hold of Mr Quicksilver, give him a kind stroke or two and then a pat on the head, ask to see if the nurse is in and then queue up Mr Rogers on the tele to see if the "Price is Right" is on next.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:36 am

Remember you are still holding the bar. If your arms aren't long enough, you may not be able to reach out far enough for sufficient depower. The higher the wind, the further out the bar needs to go, to a point.

What if you drop the bar?

Details of this scenario happened during a recent severe accident.
Last edited by RickI on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

klimber
Very Frequent Poster

Postby klimber » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:50 am

Ricki. I can see how you are going for an absolute worse case scenario. You might want to add that your leash is wrapped around your dong and if you let go of the bar it will surely gulitene your wiener. That will throw in a bit more fear..

but.

for those short arm folks who loose the bar they are going to have to send the kite from the quick release and let it go to a line.

I don't believe a knife would be safe in this situation, unless you could magically cut three lines at exactly the same time.

but wait...there is more.....if you have a 5th line, let all go to the fifth!

JON MODICA
Medium Poster

Postby JON MODICA » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:42 am

SIMPLE.............grab both of your center lines ABOVE THE BAR!!!!!!
if you grab it below the kite wont depower enough. Once you have them the kite shouldnt pull you at all. (assuming your bow kite depowers properly)

Rick, good question.

-Jon
team rider

Return to “Kitesurfing”