Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kite school

forum for kitesurfers

ripas
Rare Poster

kite school

Postby ripas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Do i have to be an IKO instructor to open a kite school?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: kite school

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:45 pm

no, just check with your national laws...but it is advised to have some kind of certificate to attract people for your instructions.

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby 72kiteboarder » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:45 pm

ripas wrote:Do i have to be an IKO instructor to open a kite school?
If you plan on having insurace, which is absolutely a must, Then you better have somthing to show the insurance company that you know what the hell you are doing.

PASA or IKO will work.

So in short, YES

Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: st. joris bay
Favorite Beaches: klein curacao
Style: Strapless, freestyle, wakestyle
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Kite repair

Postby posty » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:12 pm

when you are a IKO instructor you can have insurance trough them

winged babar
Medium Poster

Postby winged babar » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Why can't you just make students sign a bulletproof waiver that releases all parties from liability?

Kite-4-Life
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: kites

Postby Kite-4-Life » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:33 pm

Please get certified as an instructor wherever you live. Bringing new kiters into the sport is an important task and you should educate yourself as much as possible. Remember this, every student you train is a direct reflection on YOU. Your local kiters will either love you or hate you, depending on the new kiters that you produce, and their actions on the beach. If you're getting into teaching for the money, you have another thing coming my friend......It may seen lucrative, but factor in all the phone calls, pre lesson prep, scheduling, equipment maintenance/repairs, and 10,000 questions AFTER you finish with your student, you may begin to understand that there's no money in it. Don't forget all of the above is lost WATER TIME, and that is something that you can not put a price on!
If you choose to be an instructor, I wish you the best! I would recommend the IKO course, as it contains a HUGE amount of information, and it covers a lot of topics. You can get instructor insurance through the IKO, however it is NOT valid in the USA. To teach in the USA, you will have to obtain PASA cert. and general liability for 1 instructor will run you about 3600.00 usd per year. To become an IKO kite school, you must obtain Level 2 status to qualify, take a written exam, and maintain insurance on you and your boat.
Please get certified if you plan on teaching. Good Luck!

BuySellCabarete
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Kitebeach, Cabarete, DR
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, DR I have my secret spots
Style: Wave rider 100%
Gear: Caution Answer2 9m or 12m
LF Surfboard 6'0" strapped

Thats it!
Brand Affiliation: eXtremeHotels.com and KiteLounge.com

Postby BuySellCabarete » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 pm

I know for a fact that to be a an IKO certified school and under their umbrella you have to have at least one instructor a IKO level 2 certification.

I for one would not take lessons at or recommend a school with uncertified instructors. While I think that you can learn from anyone if they can kite but that does not mean you will learn safely, quickly or the correct way with all the information you require. They will just teach you what they know rather than what you should know.

I am a level 1 instructor who has taught atleast 200 students in my time and am greatful I took the course it made me a better kiter and a safe teacher.

Cheers,
V

Return to “Kitesurfing”