Mini 5th line on Naish helix

forum for kitesurfers

peterbjarke
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Mini 5th line on Naish helix

Postby peterbjarke » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:01 pm

I think I have read somewhere that the Naish Helix can be fitted with a mini 5th line.
Is it a part of the pull-pull bar, the new smart loop or both? I assume it will give some backup to just letting go of the bar in the case of a bridle tangle? If you have some pictures to show it would be very nice :P

Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi, it is only part of the pull-pull(?) bar or the bar that has the t handles to depower. The smart loop does not have one of those, but it would be super easy to make one. I don't thin you need one since the depower on that is MASSIVE.

I am not sure what you mean with bridle tangle. I think it is super good for any regular riding, and self landing, and if you unhook and drop the bar. I;ve never had any problems with bridle tangles, so I am not sure what you mean, but the mini fifth line basically attaches right before the two center lines split up. It works by giving the backlines as much room as possibly, and therefore depowers the kite completely. Because it goes through the bar it does not interfere with spinning the bar, and I have used it to selflaunch a 12 in super gusty 30 mph (where you attach your leash to something solid, and put your kite up on its side).

As always though, experiment with the system in lower winds.
I'll see if I can take some pics of the system later this week.

A

peterbjarke
Medium Poster

Postby peterbjarke » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for the answer. I have not bought a Helix but I am considering it. On my Crossbows I have experienced that a bridle got caught around a wingtip. It happens rarely but it can happen and I would be surprised if the same thing couldn't happen with a Helix. In this case pushing the bar forward or letting go of the bar doesn't help you. Here it would be nice with a mini 5th that could be activated to make the backlines slack and hopefully end the tangle. It would be even better with a leash to a frontline like for the Rev and Furia but these kites have crap release systems (not 360)

:D
Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:25 am

Actually both kites comes with the possibility to attach the leash to one of the side lines. I haven;t really checked out that option because the mini5th has been working so well. Never had the bridle snag..I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I think the bridles are way shorter on the helix than the crossbow..without having measured them. In addition, there is only one pulley, and it is on the kite, so there aren't that many "moving" parts to it.

The smart loop has so much throw that it completely depowers the kite if you let out the bar.

Have you seen the bar? I like both, but will probably use the smart loop more. I will hover attach 4 meter extensions for light winds and see how that affects it. Test it if you can. It has a different feel from your bow, and likes to be sent more while jumping. It might take a session or so to get used to. Really fun kite. What size are you looking at?

A.

bkiter
Medium Poster

Postby bkiter » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:09 pm

With the smart loop are you able to use the 5th line attachment , as Im currently using it on the standard bar and loving it , nice and neat.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:42 pm

bkiter wrote:With the smart loop are you able to use the 5th line attachment , as Im currently using it on the standard bar and loving it , nice and neat.
I was looking at that, and I could not see any "official" attachment, but it should be easy to sort of retro fit it...that said I think the only reason to use it is if you are afraid the stopper will keep the kite from depowering properly since the depower range with the smart loop is probably as much if not even more than the mini-fith on the other bar.

I will check it out though....since I am interested in having it for some days...

a.

peterbjarke
Medium Poster

Postby peterbjarke » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:37 pm

I am looking for a small one for high winds and speed. Maybe a 5 m. I am only 73 kg. The new bar looks goods. It would still be nice with a photo of the mini 5th :)

tautologies wrote: What size are you looking at?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:55 am

Okay here it is, you see the mini fifth have short bungee from where it attaches behing the depower, and then a regular line that goes from the through the bar and you attach the leash.

I really like this solution.

A.
Attachments
IMG_1598-1.JPG
IMG_1598-1.JPG (144.04 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:25 pm

[quote="tautologies"]Okay here it is, you see the mini fifth have short bungee from where it attaches behing the depower, and then a regular line that goes from the through the bar and you attach the leash.

I imagine that Naish put a lot of thought into this mini-5th line system, but my first reaction is: "Why use that little length of kiteline instead of a length of 2 mm spectra leader line?"

(1) Won't that kite line just wear out really fast with the friction, sand, and the resultant abrasion from the up and down travel of the bar?

(2) It creeps me out, seeing that thin piece of kite line that close to where your fingers must go to grasp the primary safety release slide handle.

I don't think that I have seen actual kite line used below the bar on any other bar system.

Maybe that piece of line is a specially designed non-tangling, stiff, abrasion resistant line. If it isn't, I would look into replacing it with larger leader line. Hopefully, the hole in the bar is large enough to accommodate 3 leader lines.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm

kitezilla wrote:I imagine that Naish put a lot of thought into this mini-5th line system, but my first reaction is: "Why use that little length of kiteline instead of a length of 2 mm spectra leader line?"
The Naish system has been used with Boxer and Shockwave kites for over a year now and it works very well. The line you are referring to is not kiteline, it is thicker spectra.

As for putting a this mini 5th on the new Naish Smart Bar, there is no reason to. The Smart Bar inherent leash system will give you equivalent depowering.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

Return to “Kitesurfing”