Airtime valves..... do they work????

forum for kitesurfers

Golden Cobia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Airtime valves..... do they work????

Postby Golden Cobia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:15 am

I hate missing a session bc of valve failure. and it's been too often now on both my Naish and North kites. I blame nobody but myself for baking the kites in my trunk a couple of times. it would be nice if somebody came up with a one piece bladder system with the valves incorporated.
So I want to fix this once and for all, or have the easy fix solution ready for when it happens next. What's the story with the U-Stick valves from Airtime? Anybody tried them? Are they good reliable repair options?
any points on prepping the bladder to ensure better results?
any comments appreciated

hebrew_hammer
Medium Poster

Postby hebrew_hammer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:20 am

i work for a shop and instead of buying specific bladders we use the generic airtime ones and they work great. just have to take your time and do it correctly.

Francis
Medium Poster

Air Time valves

Postby Francis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:40 am

I have replaced a bunch of valves on my one-pump kite due to it getting too hot in the car and the air time valve does not hold up to the heat either. They are pretty easy to install and works well, but they cannot get hot, or they will leak. I take my kite out of the car and put it in my office when I go to work now so it does not get too hot.

Francis

USAKiter
Medium Poster

Postby USAKiter » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:47 am

I have found mixed results. Some hold. Some do not hold. YMMV.

It's worth the $ to give it a shot before replacing the entire bladder (strut or LE)

Nak
Medium Poster

Postby Nak » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:16 am

I've got a couple of kites that sit in the trunk of my car parked in the sun in Honolulu. Sometimes for months at a shot. The Airtime stick on valves I've used have yet to leak. Make sure you take your time and follow the instructions to the letter...

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:28 am

yep, like already said, take your time and make sure to clean off the LE surface with alcohol. also be sure that the LE is completely flat before sticking the new valve on. any wrinkles will lead to leaks.

the local shop here sells those bad boys for $10-$15 a pop! if you have more than a couple of valves to replace (i've had two go at the same time from sitting in the car unused for too long) you're better off doing the old tried and true glue thing. if one goes, its usually just a matter of time before others will fail as well.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:51 pm

If valve peels off, as they usually do, use aquaseal or similar, or vinyl raft glue to glue it back on, put donut of tear-aid type A over it, now you have a glued on, mechanically reinforced nipple. Probably better than new. $20 for the supplies to keep a set of bladders going for years...

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:02 pm

+ for AQUASEAL. I did a half loosened fill valve on a Slingy TD and it worked great. Sticky tape over the top did not hold.

j i m

Return to “Kitesurfing”