Board repair advice needed

forum for kitesurfers

sascho
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Board repair advice needed

Postby sascho » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:43 pm

This will probably sound like a dumb question, but I've never done any repairs on my boards myself.

At one tip of the board the bottom layer split off (3cm wide, 5cm deep). It's still attached to the board and probably just needs some glue to stick it back on, but what glue do I need to use? What works best so that there is no water leaking into the board afterwards?

mossman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting , www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com
Quality Gear , Great Prices

Postby mossman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:35 am

I had the same problem.
I first made sure that between the crack there is no sand etc. I then used a utility knife blade to pry it open a little more then it was already. I had handy some wax paper and "c" clamps i have for welding with some wood blocks that are bigger then the cracked area. I lightly moistened inside the crack (only) with water and used http://gorillaglue.com/ before any reaction i put the wax paper on the area that the glue might leak out under the wood blocks (for obvious reasons - between the board and blocks) and clamped the snot out of it good and tight using the "c" clamps and wood blocks. This glue will find any void area in the crack and will permanently bond the two peaces together. I have had my board for a year and a half with no problems at all.

Hope that helps

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:27 am

what board? TT or surf?
Epoxy or ..??

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:02 pm

I build kiteboards, and so do some of my friends. No one is building boards with gorilla glue. It might work, but you can't really go wrong with epoxy. I'm pretty sure 99% of professional repairs, or maybe 100% of professional repairs would be done with epoxy. The tube stuff is pretty crappy, you ideally want to use the liquid resin that is used with fiberglass cloth. If you want something quick and easy and if the board is white, try Marine Tex epoxy, it is a white paste that is surprisingly good and sold in small kits for cheap small repairs.

Make sure it is clean and dry and sanded, filed or at least scratched up well so that there is a good mechanical bond, and yes, mask it well and clamp it down tight.

Peter

mossman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting , www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com
Quality Gear , Great Prices

Postby mossman » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:22 am

foam-n-fibre wrote:I build kiteboards, and so do some of my friends. No one is building boards with gorilla glue. It might work, but you can't really go wrong with epoxy. I'm pretty sure 99% of professional repairs, or maybe 100% of professional repairs would be done with epoxy. The tube stuff is pretty crappy, you ideally want to use the liquid resin that is used with fiberglass cloth. If you want something quick and easy and if the board is white, try Marine Tex epoxy, it is a white paste that is surprisingly good and sold in small kits for cheap small repairs.

Make sure it is clean and dry and sanded, filed or at least scratched up well so that there is a good mechanical bond, and yes, mask it well and clamp it down tight.

Peter
I agree with you 100 %
however my post was one of ease and cheapness - if you are good with mixing the epoxy compounds then go for it but if your unsure then i would go with the other i've bee riding this board using this product for over a year & 1/2 almost every other day in cold water and to-date i have had no problems yes its a cheap repair but so far its worked (for me) Naish haze was the board with a 4"end chip

cheers

sascho
Rare Poster

Postby sascho » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:08 pm

Thanks a lot everyone.

I found a friendly local kite shop who had a look at the board and will do the repair for a few pounds. Better be safe than sorry - it's such a nice board that I decided not to take the chance of ruining it. I think they are going to use epoxy as you mentioned.

Return to “Kitesurfing”