Missing kitesurfer in Connecticut!?

Forum for kitesurfers
surfchris
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Missing kitesurfer in Connecticut!?

Postby surfchris » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:02 pm

They obviously have an on-going search operation in Stratford Connecticut to find a kitesurfer that was reported missing yesterday -- saw it on the local tv news this morning.

Anyone know anything? As far as I could find, the wind was very strong and offshore yesterday.

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:40 pm

I went riding yesterday in NY part of the sound, for CT SIDE it was very off shore winds in the afternoon. Really bad idea ridding in off shore winds in the middle of the winter. I hope he is oK.

SethP
Medium Poster

Postby SethP » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:53 pm

His name is Stoil Popow. I was not there, but here is what I know:
- the wind was nice, the weather was warm for mid-January, and everyone was having a good time
- a squall came in quickly. Winds went from easy to 25-40mph offshore very quickly

Apparantly Stoil was only 20 feet offshore and everyone was yelling at him to come in. He dropped his kite, but didn't want to lose it, so he started wrapping up the lines. While doing that, he was very quickly blown offshore -- apparantly very far out.

My understanding this morning is that the Coast Guard found his kite and board. The rescue seems to have started in the late afternoon/early evening, so it was already getting dark.

I know Stoil, as I've snowkited with him very often for the last two winters. He is very smart, and a very accomplished kiter. He was certainly wearing his drysuit.

Let's all hope for a miracle here. He has a wife and two small children.

Just a note on the conditions: My house is probably 70 miles or so from that beach, and yesterday afternoon I left to go to the store. I looked at the sky, and saw a line of dark clouds approaching. I said to myself that this is what RickI would tell us is the time to drop our kites and wait out the coming storm. About 20 minutes later I walked into a store, with essentially no wind outside. I was in the store for less than 10 minutes, and when I walked out the wind blew the door open, there were dust "swirlies" through the parking lot, and the wind was at least 25mph. The front came is very, very quickly and very violently.

Out of respect to Stoil, let's all please hope our best for him and his family and refrain from analysing what might have gone wrong until we have all the facts. What I have written above is not first hand, but should be reliable.

Seth

SethP
Medium Poster

Postby SethP » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:00 pm

Here is a link to a local TV story:

http://tinyurl.com/baxz4

Seth

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:08 pm

this is from the people who called the police and the coast guard:

after strong southerlies in bridgeport CT all day, the wind switched suddendly from the NW without the usual frontal passage/rains warning signs.
As you can see from the graph the gusts were quite intense.
One kiter was seeing drifting off shore while holding on to his kite, a call was immediately placed at 911 asking for a rescue at sea.
Minutes later the kiter apparently got separeted from the kite, at that point he was a good mile out (currents from a local river make this area rather difficul even in a non windy day).
When the first rescue boat arrived only the kite was found.
After an all night search by the coast guard including several vessels and an helicopter the kiter is unfortunately still missing.

It's early I think to say much here. Until more details are known let's just be respectful of this tragedy as we cannot but feel very sad for the missing kiter and his family.

enzo
Attachments
bridgeportjan21.gif
bridgeportjan21.gif (26.33 KiB) Viewed 12690 times

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm

No way.... it was Stoil Popow, I know that guy. They found his gear, this is not good. Yesterday the weather was really nice for awhile but the water was still cold and the sound was getting very rough. It was a cold night, even with a dry suit

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ctkiteboarding » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:11 pm

this is a very sad day ,, i was their and have the details and will post them at the respectful time please lets all consider the enviroment that we play in it kills R

TheCuban
Medium Poster

Postby TheCuban » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Any news if his car was left there overnight?

It's a red 2 door with a cabrinha sticker near the gas tank.

I hope this ends up being miss information!

gipseysurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby gipseysurfer » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:27 pm

here's a recent update from one of the local papers:

http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_3426897

the article along with the tv url mentions a search for a windsurfer but it was in fact the kiter mentioned on this thread. i am amazed the coast guard was able to get within reach of this guy on such short notice and in such extreme conditions.

hoping for a miracle.

barry

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:39 pm

sorry to report this but i just got a call from the CG and stolli was found 6 miles sw of sratford point at 3pm this afternoon he was not able to survive,,,,
i will gather my thougts and post the entire story and the exact details so we all can learn from this tragedy R

Return to “Kitesurfing”