Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How Hard Is It To Pull OS Handles If the S*%# Hits?

forum for kitesurfers

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

How Hard Is It To Pull OS Handles If the S*%# Hits?

Postby Clew In » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Hey,

I was reading this post:

http://kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2343277

I was thinking if your QR failed I would think my next move would be try to pull the OS handle to depower the kite. I have never had to depower due to a broken line and I was wondering about how hard it would be. I would think it would be easier to depower the kite with the opposite OS handle from the broken line. That is if your QR does not work.

Clew In

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:53 pm

I've never had a line break either, but thinking about it, it may be pretty hard to grab quickly. whatever line breaks the opposite side of the bar will pull away from you. at this point, presuming you still have the bar in your hand, you would have to reach over from the opposite side to get to the OS handle. even worse, if the bar gets ripped from you hands it'll be that much farther away from your reach, all the while the kite will be looping like mad!

i guess the only way to get it in your head would be to practice going for the OS handle just like practicing releasing the QR...i guess...

BTW when the SH!t hits, it hits fast and it hits hard! more than likely it'll all be over before you even get a hand on that OS handle.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How Hard Is It To Pull OS Handles If the S*%# Hits?

Postby kitezilla » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Clew In wrote:Hey,

I was reading this post:

I was thinking if your QR failed I would think my next move would be try to pull the OS handle to depower the kite. I have never had to depower due to a broken line and I was wondering about how hard it would be. I would think it would be easier to depower the kite with the opposite OS handle from the broken line.

Clew In
You are talking about 2 different things here:

(1) QR failure

(2) Broken line

The chances of both of these events happening at the same time are quite small, so, think through both events and have a plan A and a plan B.

Here is plan A for (1): CRASH the kite and quickly unhook...or more likely, wait for the kite to spiral down, hit the water, and temporarily depower. You can help it go down, by pulling and pushing on the bar at the right times.

Here is plan A for (2): Quickly identify which line is broken....most likely it will be a front line....then, grab the rear line OS loop with one hand and quickly hit the QR with the other hand. If you are really serious about being prepared, make a puppet kite just like yours and play with it until you understand which line goes where, and what will happen when this or that line breaks.

http://kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... uppet+kite

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:17 pm

Hey Kitezilla,

I was reading the post from Kitesufingken. He had a line break an then the loop on the QR broke and he was not able to QR.

I like your plan of action. I think it is very important to have some options in the back of your mind if things go wrong. I would also take it a step further and what order would you try different options. If you are close to people or danger you may skip a few and go for the knife to cut line for instant depower(this would be very last resort).

How hard is it to control a kite with a line broken? What about control with a back line or front line break. Is there any difference in a C kite or Bow kite with a broken line?

Clew In

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:07 pm

Clew In wrote:How hard is it to control a kite with a line broken? What about control with a back line or front line break. Is there any difference in a C kite or Bow kite with a broken line?

Clew In
Front line break - you will have no control on any kite as the kite will just spin very fast

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:19 pm

Clew In wrote:Hey,

I was reading this post:

I was thinking if your QR failed I would think my next move would be try to pull the OS handle to depower the kite. I have never had to depower due to a broken line and I was wondering about how hard it would be. I would think it would be easier to depower the kite with the opposite OS handle from the broken line. That is if your QR does not work.

Clew In
If your QR fails the OS handle wont depower the kiteunless you have got arms half the span of your kite. Your kite wont depower unless you can flag the kite out. Check the post about this when OS were first available on Waroo's. If you pull an O/S while still hooked in your kite will spin the same as a front line break.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:26 pm

I had a bridle line break on my 16m Waroo, and it was totally uneventful... Basically, the front bridle broke, the bar went slack with the kite spiraling down to the water, and I fell back into the water. Granted the wind was only about 15 mph. I could feel what happened... wrapped my lines around my bar as I swam up to the kite. put my kite harness line through the footstrap of the board so that the board would stay with me; got up on my the kite's leading edge, used the bridle to pull up the kite's wingtip and sailed my kite-raft to shore.

kiteingcolin
Medium Poster

Postby kiteingcolin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:40 pm

after fridays events i am now up to seeing 5 front bridle lines snap on a warroo, 2 from the same guy,
the kite hits the water and takes off with a spin the other way, and keeps on doing this, accross the water and then as you get to the beach,

its a tad alarming!!

to get out of danger you need to unclip the saftey and clip into the o $hit side of good line and then fire the release,
sounds easy?
try it as you being dragged along at scary looping speeds
not so easy

ps; i am not bashing warroos, i own 2, and most of the guys i sail with have them,

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:10 pm

[quote="Clew In

If you are close to people or danger you may skip a few and go for the knife to cut line for instant depower(this would be very last resort).

How hard is it to control a kite with a line broken? What about control with a back line or front line break. Is there any difference in a C kite or Bow kite with a broken line?

Clew In[/quote]

(1) I doubt if a knife, even if it was still sharp, and even if you could get at it, would have been an option in Ken's situation, since, probably, he could not have reached an actual kite line within arm length. Cutting leader line may not be an option, but if you could, then, cutting one or two rear lines would have been a possible solution. Try a test, yourself, to see what you can reach with a kite knife, while you are hooked in.

(2) I have had a number of lines and pig tails break on "C" kites in the old days, and the kite always crashed pretty quickly. Once, a line broke, and started a cascade of other lines breaking.....only one line was left intact, and of course, that flagged the kite perfectly. One could make a case for using lower strength lines, so that, in severe conditions, where a line breaks, the domino effect would ensue, and help disable the kite. The trend in line design is in the other direction....up to 800 pound test line.

I have had the bridle break on my SLE, and the kite crashed, before I could throw it to its rear line reride safety, but I was prepared to do so.

My guess is that the most problematic kite design would be the true bow kite where the front and back lines are joined with a pulley. From what I have heard, a broken front bridal or line, with this style kite, can initiate a strong "propeller" effect, in a tight radius, where the kite may not hit the water....the more it winds up the lines, the worse it gets.

I will take a "C" kite, any day, with a broken line to deal with...in particular, a 5th line "C" kite. You have many more options to choose from, to depower a crazy kite. The best option, as you are being dragged, may be to start pulling in on your 5th line leader....5 to 10 feet of it should do the trick. I always put a 5th line on my SLE kites for this and other reasons. I have never had to do this but I have 15 feet of extra thick (quarter inch, I think) leader line on my 5th line.

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:21 pm

mx5alan wrote:Check the post about this when OS were first available on Waroo's. If you pull an O/S while still hooked in your kite will spin the same as a front line break.
update to previous post....

Security release: waroo and death spirals

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2328494

Please Note - it is EVERY kite with O/S handles not just Waroo

Return to “Kitesurfing”