Back Stalling Kite in Waves

forum for kitesurfers

Isaac
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Back Stalling Kite in Waves

Postby Isaac » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:24 am

I own a Vegas 07 12mt and it seems to have no drift. I'm constantly overtaking my kite through the power of the wave; consequently my kite falls out of the sky and is tumbled by waves.

How can I avoid this?
Is the vegas just no good for drift?
Or, is there a technique?

It's been suggested that I ride unhooked, will this fix the problem?

swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest

Postby swell » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:30 am

Vegas is very good for waves.
There are no kite, which would drift downwind while the lines are slack. Even if somebody tells you there is one, that's BS. Moving kite from one side to the other is what waveriding is all about.
Move your kite. Unhooked riding won't help.

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:08 am

I ride the 07 rebel, ordered the 08 and had the same experience.
What the hell?
There is no way to over sheet the 07, but the 08 over sheets and backs up like nothing else.
I noticed a lot of the 08 kites coversheet and back track.

The o6 vegas 10m I have, never backtracks and is a great kite. Not the perfect wave kite, but no backing up.
The 08 vegas, can't say.
But the vegas is not a wave kite,

North, looks like, made kites for specific applications.
which sucks...
Rebel for waves only with a surf board.
Rhino for jumping
Vegas...who knows
I was selling my 07 Rebel cause I ordered a 08,....not anymore. I keep my 07 and get something else, (08 Rebel went back to the shop)

..Eclipse....

duckman
Medium Poster

Postby duckman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:18 pm

BS
I did not like the Rebel 08 (I've got a 9, have the 07 7 and 12) for the same reason...it kept stalling on the waves when I was downlooping it at the low end of its range. I took the stupid bungies off and it rides much better, on my last 9 mile downwinder it never stalled whereas a few days before with the bungies on it fell from the sky 3 times in less than a mile. People on this forum seem to think I'm oversheeting but I've been riding Norths since day 1 of the Rhino and I'd never had the issue before. I was ready to bring my 09 back but now I like it just as much as my 07's.
I also retuned the bar with more frontline tension at neutral, I mean even at full power the back lines are a little slack.
Try it. What have you to lose?

Isaac
Rare Poster

Postby Isaac » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:44 pm

More tension on the front lines, really? I was told to tighten the back lines?

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:24 pm

BS
I did not like the Rebel 08 (I've got a 9, have the 07 7 and 12) for the same reason...it kept stalling on the waves when I was downlooping it at the low end of its range. I took the stupid bungies off and it rides much better, on my last 9 mile downwinder it never stalled whereas a few days before with the bungies on it fell from the sky 3 times in less than a mile. People on this forum seem to think I'm oversheeting but I've been riding Norths since day 1 of the Rhino and I'd never had the issue before. I was ready to bring my 09 back but now I like it just as much as my 07's.
I also retuned the bar with more frontline tension at neutral, I mean even at full power the back lines are a little slack.
Try it. What have you to lose?
So, what the hell happened? The rebel was such a great kite, now in mags and forums, everybody is hyping the 08, but it does not perform. We have to take off the bungees, shorten or lengthen bridals...etc...to make it work.
Why do we pay $1600 for it?
I gave it back. Maybe it works for a certain style of kiting, but then it should be a new kite, not a Rebel.
Rebel 07 is a KICK ASS kite.
I don't want to bash North, but....
(I also have other reasons not to get a 08...but I am nice guy and will not bash them...)

Vishy
Rare Poster

Postby Vishy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:58 pm

Hey,
First may I say whats with all the hateing, my preferences lie with another brand but just because a kite does not work for your style of rideing it doesnt make it a shit kite. I am quite glad some companies style kites for particular styles rather than sacrifice performance and claim the kite is fantastic for everything.

Now back on topic, i found my 12m vegas 2006 fine for waveriding, maybe a little slow to turn/fly, but when whipped around while powered it was very nice. Move that kite and follow it through the turns, if all else fails just loop it.

Thanks
Matt

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:38 pm

I am sure if you make the steering lines a little longer this will fix your problem.
Also back stoling usually happens in light wind days 8 to 14 knots and that is due to the back lines being too tight especially when you are unhooking. That is why you need to have your kite well trimed before you get out in the water and also depending on the wind make sure to set your back lines differently.

Another thing you can do is make your front line shorter by doing this it will make your steering lines longer.
Vegas kites are really nice kites. Have not tried the 08 yet.
Good luck.

vasco
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vasco » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:55 am

I was on 07 Rebels and now I'm on 08, I have no doubt that is even better than last year, for sure one of the best wave kites in 08, I also liked Furia.
I have good feedback on Revs and Type 9's also.
Btw my Rebels still have bungees no issues with them.

Dimitri I would like to test your kites, but in Portugal is impossible, haven't seen any. :cry:

blancoh2o
Frequent Poster

Postby blancoh2o » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:19 am

Dimitri wrote:I am sure if you make the steering lines a little longer this will fix your problem.
Also back stoling usually happens in light wind days 8 to 14 knots and that is due to the back lines being too tight especially when you are unhooking. That is why you need to have your kite well trimed before you get out in the water and also depending on the wind make sure to set your back lines differently.

Another thing you can do is make your front line shorter by doing this it will make your steering lines longer.
Vegas kites are really nice kites. Have not tried the 08 yet.
Good luck.
Now that is a class act! You don't read very many posts on here from a kite designer offering up advice on how to fix a problem with another product than his own. Props to you Dimitri!

Return to “Kitesurfing”