Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anybody chuck it all away to just kite everyday.....

forum for kitesurfers

mujo71
Rare Poster

Anybody chuck it all away to just kite everyday.....

Postby mujo71 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 am

Besides pros. Anybody make this transition from working class stiff to full time kite hippy..

Cankite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cankite » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:37 am

I kite everyday because I work from 6:30 pm t'ill midnight.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:04 am

I took a summer off and kited every day. I realised that the summer sea breezes come in between 2:00-4:00 and last until 8:00 pm. Now I work a reasonable chunk of the day then take off and kite for a couple of hours every evening get paid a similar sort of annual salary.

Tommyboy
Medium Poster

Postby Tommyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:02 am

I just got my B.B.A. degree, and am leaving the states to kite everyday. :D Most likely teach kiting somewhere. Havent narrowed it down quite yet, caribbean most likely. I think this is the best time for me just to pick up and go. no g-friend, no mortgage, no ties of any sort besides family and friends. Its a good time to be a kite bum/hippy. 6 months? year? 2? we'll see how things go. At least I got my degree first, so I can replace the sand in my pockets with money when Im ready to get a job.
Anyone have a place they feel I should go?

T

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:29 am

I work and kite everyday. Well not everyday but I have been known to go 6-7 days straight. I do a lot of before work, lunch time, and after work sessions. As I have 2 kids that will need to attend college one day I have to keep the job, for now.

ToastSYN
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: anywhere on Maui
Favorite Beaches: Ka'a Point, Matanzas Inlet
Style: overpowered
Gear: Royal Era 8m, Torch 7m, Obession 7m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Mercenary

Postby ToastSYN » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:29 am

I would have if what I was going to college for didn't pay off and allow me to kite pretty much whenever I wanted to. I still would have worked some sort of job though. Thank god I can have an awesome job AND kite til I drop dead. I've learned one thing though while being a kite bum on Maui before I got the position here. YOU will get tired of it if thats all you do. Kite in moderation and mix up the gear you use (surfboard, Twintip, skim) to keep yourself interested. Kiteloops can become painful after awhile and without medical insurance in the US your pretty much screwed. Unless your a trust funder (which most pros are) your gonna have to work to replace that gear when it gets worn out as well. Sleeping in a van down by the river also gets old real fast and though people who have dreads in their hair think its cool most of the people around you would wish you'd just take a shower.

Always enjoy things in moderation. I personally think when there are days that I can't kite it makes the ones that I can that much more rewarding.
-Toast-

xstar
Medium Poster

Postby xstar » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:48 am

I'm handing my notice in as a stockbroker on Friday to live the life of a bum for a few years.
I've got my surfboard, wakeboard, kiteboard, quiver of kites, stack of condoms :wink: , round the world ticket and a bit of dosh I've saved ready.
I figured I've got the rest of my life to work and not much more time of being in my fitness element 28 so it's time to have some fun.
Who knows what's out there? What adventures and beautiful places there are to explore?
The time feels right at the moment and it was not that hard to ditch the girlfriend and rent out the house for a while.
It felt like all I was working for was to have a better house and car when these things don't make me happy. The girl I had was not the one!
I will miss my family and friends but most of them are coming out to spend parts of the trips with me and my best kite buddy is coming with me for a big chunk of the trip.
5 weeks till the 1st stop Capetown and counting.
Last edited by xstar on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:49 am

I personally think when there are days that I can't kite it makes the ones that I can that much more rewarding.
well said!

Greg7
Medium Poster

Re: Anybody chuck it all away to just kite everyday.....

Postby Greg7 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:49 pm

mujo71 wrote:Besides pros. Anybody make this transition from working class stiff to full time kite hippy..
That would be me :lol:

I am taking at least two years off to kite.

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Toast...right on....& xstar...yeah man that sounds like a plan.

Personaly I feel best when I have had a productive work day...and a few hours on the water. I would bore fast of kiting all day...most people can only stare at the water for so many hours.

I think access and flexability of schedule are key...I am working on the latter.

Return to “Kitesurfing”