forum for kitesurfers

zerogee_ca
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Having a blast on one of "those other kites"

Postby zerogee_ca » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:47 am

Hey Guys!

Here's a small collection of videos that demonstrate some of the unique qualities that the ARC's ( http://www.peterlynnkiteboarding.com/ ) have and show guys having a blast on them too. ARC's are not just for beginner's.

Beginners to experts can and do have fun on Twinskins (ARC's). ARC's are not "old school" or "low tech", in fact the design concept is still evolving. ARC's are more than capable of performing the tricks any "Joe" Kiteboarder will ever do... and then some. It's just a matter of how much balls the rider has. Twinskins can do it all well on water, snow and on ground; "new school", wakestyle... "old school" and big, floaty airs... surfing... even "Frisbee".

Enjoy :cool2:

on WATER...
"new school", wakestyle (ya, ya some old school too)...

"old school" and big, floaty airs and some surf...

more surfing...
Sweetest wave action ever from Bali, look for the ARC surfer on the dark surfboard after 4:00 minutes of the vid to the end.
[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/indonesia ... iding.html[/kiteforumtv]

on Snow...
Watch for the guy with red jacket and yellow pants on skis.

and on Ground...

the legendary stability...

and yes, even kite "Frisbee"...

a kite 360...

ARC's are not the best kite out there by any means, but they are a good alternative if you are sick of...
"Pumping... pumps that are forgotten, lost, wearout or break... nozzles that leak, tear or melt off bladders... expensive bladders that leak or pop... kites falling out of the sky... auto crash and auto destroy... forgetting or losing those heavy weight bags..." just to name a few things :wink:

How's that for pimpin'? :nutkick:
Last edited by zerogee_ca on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tommyboy
Medium Poster

Re: Having a blast on one of "those other kites"

Postby Tommyboy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:02 am

lets see those boys re-launch... :roll:

zerogee_ca
Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:01 am

Tommyboy wrote:lets see those boys re-launch... :roll:
Due to the "auto-zenith" and the kites stablity, they are not easy to crash very often. Let go of the bar in a wipeout, the kite stops it's dive and floats gently to zenith waiting for you to recover. But, if crashed they are re-launchable. There is one relaunch in the second vid at about 3 minutes. A recovery from an inverted half bowtie.

Do you really think anyone would fly any kite that was not relaunchable these days? Would you? Not for long anyway.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:42 am

PL kites relaunch very very well. They can have issues like bowties or waves pushing water inside the kite but bow kites can bowtie and get bridle tangles - relaunch success rate is about the same - very high.

.Joel
Medium Poster

Postby .Joel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:53 am

Horsecrap.... :nono:

Peter Lynn Arcs are fantastic kites, no doubt there. In the last few years however the development rate of tube kites has surged ahead. Either way they are still about and a popular choice for learners. However, smack an arc into the water on a light wind day and you will find they are a pain to re launch. Purely and simply as they have no rigidity, and the extra weight of the water does not help this. If you struggle to relaunch for long enough they will start to fill with water.

The auto-zennith works to a degree, but if your kite is already below 35 - 30 degrees in the water chances are it is going to hit the water, just like a bow. And new flyers seem to manage to crash kites leading edge down quite reguarly, no amount of auto zennith is going to stop this happening.

I agree they are fantastic kites, but the whole notion of you can put a board on your feet, sit back and put the kite on auto pilot and you're off just isn't the case. Auto zennith does exist, but only to a certain degree, and less so in the newer models such as the Scorpion.

Regards,

.Joel

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:33 am

Auto Zenith makes a huge difference.
If you fall off the board or get swamped by a wave a Peter Lynn kite is more likely to stay up in the air than any other kite.

Try walking along the beach with out holding the bar with any infalto out there.

That said auto zenith has it's risks. The zenith is the last place you want to keep the kite if you are not on the water.

As for relaunch the Arcs are very good. Not as easy as a flysurfer, but pretty close.

Peter Lynn kites are not just for beginners.
For example the Autralian wave riding nationals were won by a guy flying a Peter Lynn kite.

Several of the best wave riders here on the Malibu coast ride Peter Lynns.

I fly flysurfers these days and it's funny sometimes how I get some wierd comments.
Same rubbish about being non water relaunchable etc.

Funny thing the other day I was out with 8 other kiters and the wind and surf picked up.
Strangely all the wizz band bows (suposedly with huge windrange) six riders hit the beach while Me on a Psycho 3 10m stayed out having a blast and a guy riding a 14m C-Kite. Even though it got super gusty we kept on out there and got the biggest wind swell of the day.

There are a lot of miths going around...most are "marketing driven"

zerogee_ca
Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:58 am

Perhaps I should have said that "...ARC's were not the perfect kite by any means, but they are still a good alternative..." instead.
Yes, like every kite out there they do have issues and quirks. Show me a kite that doesn't.
Your right, no one (or anything) can stop a kite from crashing everytime or get a kite to relaunch everytime.
Inflatable kites have been in developement since '84 and with many companies doing R&D, ARC's only since '99 and pretty much just Peter Lynn doing the R&D.

That said, guys still are having a blast riding ARC's in all disciplines at every level.

sflinux
Frequent Poster

Postby sflinux » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:04 pm

zerogee_ca wrote:ARC's are not the best kite out there by any means, but they are a good alternative if you are sick of...
"Pumping... pumps that are forgotten, lost, wearout or break... nozzles that leak, tear or melt off bladders... expensive bladders that leak or pop... kites falling out of the sky... auto crash and auto destroy... forgetting or losing those heavy weight bags..." just to name a few things :wink:
How's that for pimpin'? :nutkick:
But what do you do when you are sick of bow-ties, spars breaking, ribs ripping from twinskin's blowing out from crashes, waiting for the kite to inflate, velcro on the tips spar pockets wearing out, collapsing and reassembling spars for each session, bags that are too short to hold the kite with the spars in the tips, long bags that hold the rolled up kite but take up a lot of room in your car, or just want to ride in low wind?
Arcs are great high wind kites, I still haven't found a better one than my phantom 6 when it's nukin. But arcs are poor low wind kites. The big arcs turn too slow for my tastes compared to other kites out there with similar pull and low end. But once the winds get over 20 mph, the 10M and smaller arcs are fun to ride. I personally don't like the direction of evolution that Arcs are going with pulleys and such. The older arcs like the phantom are much more stable, and have plenty of depower. The old Peter Lynn's like the water foil and s-arc had good bottom end. The evolution to the phantom was good in terms of top end.
Beginners who crash their kites a lot will appreciate a lot of the arc traits.

.Joel
Medium Poster

Postby .Joel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:23 pm

sflinux wrote:I still haven't found a better one than my phantom 6 when it's nukin.
The 6m Phantom is my favourite out of the whole Arc series. I have owned Venom IIs, flown Venom 1s, Scorpions, Guerillas etc. Didn't mind the feel of the G10 either. However the 6 phantom was by far my favourite, a mate set his own personal best in a buggy at 98.4km/h. Wicked high end kites! I like the Phantom over the Scorpion.

However as we are talking water here, I would say the most usable Arc (haven't tried a Synnergy yet) would be the 13m Venom or Venom II. The wind range on these is big, and the kites are quick enough to enjoy.

Still, as a low wind machine I wouldn't touch them, the 19m is like driving an airbus!

Regards,

.Joel

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OCX
Gear: Airush, Best, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Autozenith does not work all that great with the smaller Venons, they also move to fast, they can yank you up and then slam you down sideways in a blink, making them dangerous on snow. I still prefer a LEI if I have problems a mile from shore, Yes you can sit on the edge and take a break.
All kites have thier +'s and -'s, I have a good mix of foils and tube. I still prefer Like my Huge LEI's C's.

Return to “Kitesurfing”