nova 2 vs furia

forum for kitesurfers

Aki
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

nova 2 vs furia

Postby Aki » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:00 am

I currently am riding the nova 2 (12m & 9m). I love the 9. I was thinking about changing to the Furia but was wondering about the following:

1. How does the bar pressure on the Furia compare to the Nova2? More than the 9m nova2 (which has more bar pressure than the 12m nova2)?

2. I find it tricky to do 1-handed jumps on the 9m nova2 without sending the kite into a loop as the bar pressure is higher. Is that likely to be the case with the Furia?

3. From what I've read the Furia seems ultra manouvrable. Does that mean that its always turning in one direction or the other (ie requiring constant adjustment)? ..or can it be parked for cruising like the nova2?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: nova 2 vs furia

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:07 pm

Aki wrote:I currently am riding the nova 2 (12m & 9m). I love the 9. I was thinking about changing to the Furia but was wondering about the following:

1. How does the bar pressure on the Furia compare to the Nova2? More than the 9m nova2 (which has more bar pressure than the 12m nova2)?

2. I find it tricky to do 1-handed jumps on the 9m nova2 without sending the kite into a loop as the bar pressure is higher. Is that likely to be the case with the Furia?

3. From what I've read the Furia seems ultra manouvrable. Does that mean that its always turning in one direction or the other (ie requiring constant adjustment)? ..or can it be parked for cruising like the nova2?

Any feedback much appreciated.
1. The Furia has adjustable bar pressure - so you can get as light pressure as your Nova2 12m2, or even more than your 9m2 Nova2. Your choice !

2. Hmmm - I dont think ANY kite (except for poor turning slow kites) can help you with this one - you have to work on controlling your kite better onehanded :wink:

3. It IS ultra manouvrable, but not instable, as it is 1:1 - so parking it is easy :thumb:
But you are right - the early 2:1 Bow kites often has the tendency to be a bit "instable" because of the physics in a 2:1 bar :(

The other difference from your Nova2's will be more depower on shorter stroke, which is nice.

You get an extremely lively kite, very fast and "C" feel, and again with more depower 8)
But your Nova2's will still have more max depower and still be controllable.

Kindly, Peter Frank

mikelet
Frequent Poster

Postby mikelet » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:00 pm

I'm seriously lookin for replacing my 06 quiver with Furias too.Seems to have all i'm lookin for & got very good reports.Anyway the first kite i need to replace is my bigger one,just want to know which could be the low end on the 13m Furia for my 83 kg.??? I'm currently riding a 5'6 surfboard most of the time out there.
All people said it's a fast turning kite,but i'm wondering if it's because comes with standar 21m. lines,anyone that tried it with 4 or 5 meters extensions can confirm the reactivity & turning speed of the kite remains very good???,Can you guys compare to other kites from other brands in similar size??
thanks !!

cheers!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:28 pm

mikelet wrote:I'm seriously lookin for replacing my 06 quiver with Furias too.Seems to have all i'm lookin for & got very good reports.Anyway the first kite i need to replace is my bigger one,just want to know which could be the low end on the 13m Furia for my 83 kg.??? I'm currently riding a 5'6 surfboard most of the time out there.
All people said it's a fast turning kite,but i'm wondering if it's because comes with standar 21m. lines,anyone that tried it with 4 or 5 meters extensions can confirm the reactivity & turning speed of the kite remains very good???,Can you guys compare to other kites from other brands in similar size??
thanks !!

cheers!
I use the 13m2 with 9 meter extensions in light wind - and it is still as responsive.

By the way - most new kites today has not more than 20-23meter line length (+bridles), which most prefer nowadays.
Only the "old" kites were 25 or 27 meters :wink:

Regarding size and compared to others - the low end is not extreme, but more average.
But the range is huge :thumb:

So dont choose a small one.
Unless you ride waves - here you can really work the kite to gain more power, as it can be turned so fast and still with lots of power even if sheeted in or unhooked 8)

Kindly, Peter Frank

adfree
Medium Poster

Postby adfree » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:22 am

I was riding my 13m Furia in 13-15 knots yesterday (80kgs on 133 TT). No one was having much fun but I was getting some proper air when I timed it right due to the kite's speed.

I am not sure that I agree with the long lines to work the kite principle. If you can't park it - whats the point?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:30 am

adfree wrote:I was riding my 13m Furia in 13-15 knots yesterday (80kgs on 133 TT). No one was having much fun but I was getting some proper air when I timed it right due to the kite's speed.

I am not sure that I agree with the long lines to work the kite principle. If you can't park it - whats the point?
So true - I dont use longer lines in anything but "hardly possible to kite at all", and very rare....

If it is about or under 10 knots and summer (72kgs), I have been using the extensions (which I had anyway) "just to get out" now and then.

Not much fun, nope - and the kite has to be worked most of the time, yes.
But being out instead of not, can sometimes be fun, and is possible with longer lines and working the kite 8) (when you are "hungry")

When it is "normal" winds, I would never use longer lines :D

Kindly, Peter Frank

Return to “Kitesurfing”