Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Lake St. Croix
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Grand Bahamas

Postby jfreitag » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Hello,
My name is Jeff and in two weeks I will be staying in Pelican Point, Grand Bahamas. This is located on the south edge of the island toward the middle to east end of the island. I have not been to this area and have never been kiteboarding on the ocean before. I have a Slingshot Turbo Diesel 12m that I will be bringing down. If anyone could give me any tips on where to go along with any hazards or anything else I need to be careful of, it would be greatly appreciated.

I also need to rent a board when I get to the Island but I haven't found any shops. I don't really care if it is a wakeboard or Kiteboard, I just need something to ride!

Thank you,
Jeff

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Grand Bahamas

Postby RickI » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:37 pm

Hey Jeff,

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't readily find a kiteboard to rent on Grand Bahama. To my knowledge there are no kiteshops there. You might find a wakeboard but I am not sure where. Maybe even a strapless surfboard someplace, again not a lot of shops there. Finding something in Freeport when you fly in might be your best hope. If you can figure out how to bring a board you would do well to do that.

Drove through that area of GB a few years ago. It is pretty far out of the way. You do have abundant south facing sand beaches. So you should be good in wind from the west southwest, southwest to south to south south east. North of that I would expect the wind may be uneven due to land shear to the island projection to the east and west. Unfortunately with the cold fronts that bring wind this time of the year particularly the stronger winds may be from northerly directions. Not sure what you could do in that case except a LONG roadtrip to Freeport and perhaps onward to around West End. I did the drive and wouldn't recommend it though. If you can bounce over to the Abacos lots of options open up. As to precautions, I would not go in offshore winds and if you are near any of those cuts be real careful of tidal currents and reversals with the tidal change. You can get vacuumed pretty easily.

I wrote a limited guide to kiting on parts of GB a while back you can check it out HERE.

The first panoramic shot was taken not to far to the west of Pelican Point.
Attachments
Grand Bahama.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”