Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fresh Bar Mods for an old GK Sonic? (06').....with stopper?

Forum for kitesurfers
Rodan'sWings
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fresh Bar Mods for an old GK Sonic? (06').....with stopper?

Postby Rodan'sWings » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Ive gone too long with the old system, i dont want to pay $100 to Best for their "conversion kit" id like to make my own WITH a ClamCleat for adjusting front line tenion.

I didnt find much in the archives..........
if possible, could someone please post a pic of a good Sonic bar mod, or a link........
thanks! :D

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Fresh Bar Mods for an old GK Sonic? (06').....with stopper?

Postby ed257 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Rodan'sWings wrote:Ive gone too long with the old system, i dont want to pay $100 to Best for their "conversion kit" id like to make my own WITH a ClamCleat for adjusting front line tenion.

I didnt find much in the archives..........
if possible, could someone please post a pic of a good Sonic bar mod, or a link........
thanks! :D
PM me with your email. I think I have what you want.

Ed

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:04 pm

Heres what I did. IIRC I brought a new cleat from my local chandlers, its slightly different to the one that GK supplies (Its made by the same people and might be part no CL25?). Brought some dynema, some Slingshot mickey mouse ears and a Slingshot stopper. Had to ream out the holes on the stopper to fit the line through, but left one hole slightly smaller so it gripped the line, this way when you adjusted the depower the stopper didn't move. Because the line went up and back down it gave you a 2:1 reduction in the effort required to adjust the depower.

To be honest, not majorly different, I never rode up against the stopper, but it was nice having it so that the bar doesn't dissapear when you let go of it. I set he stopper so that whne the bar was against it I had 80% depower.

Was ok, used it for a bit then brought a Best 2007 bar - the Best bar is probably the best thing to do with 2006/7 Sonics, their bars suck.

Jay

Rodan'sWings
Medium Poster

Postby Rodan'sWings » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:24 pm

RIGHT ON!!!!!
Thats exactly what i want to make, nice pics too. What thickness Dinema rope is that, 1/4"? it looks hard, did it grip-in to the clam cleat OK? i was thinking about using spectra, becouse its easy to find locally.

Awesome.

willysand
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: GK GLOBEKITES

Postby willysand » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:58 pm

If you can buy a large inox pouley at a chandler, This bar will be Great as well !!

Good Job !!! :thumb:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:08 pm

try get a takoon nts kit. should have all the pieces including a stopper to fix up your bar.

http://www.rushextremesports.co.uk/prod ... 1s380p1772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sircrozier
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tulum

Postby sircrozier » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 pm

I used the slingshot chiken loop with cleat and line. cost me about $80 aus, then attached a pulley at to the middle lines. Worked out sweet... I did this because I thought the gk chicken loop was pants..

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:16 am

Yep, GK Chicken loop is pants, make sure you check it because thay have a habit of wearing where you can't see it very well and they break.....usually mid kiteloop as I found out :roll:

Can't remember the specs of the line etc, I just went to the shop and had a chat with the guy and this is what I came away with, the cleat worked no problem.

The only thing that I didn't like was that it was not a "spinning leash" system. I usually attached my leash to the chicken loop so i could unspin the bar after rotations, but if the stopper was being used if I operated the chicken loop the kite wouldnt depower. I did have a line that ran down through the stopper from the swivel (the stopper has 3 holes in it) like the 07 Sonics bit it broke and I lost the kite so I stopped using it.

Maybe you could work something out?

Return to “Kitesurfing”