Forum for kitesurfers
JChau
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Nobile, Brunotti, Crazyfly, Royal
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"TWIN THRUSTERS" RAD-F fr Jimmy Lewis

Postby JChau » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:31 am

This is the only Twin Thrusters that I can find in the market, had a chance see it a yr ago in Perth, great finish.

As most of us have no surfing background, but would love to try "kitesurfing" in the near future, this may be the choice to bridge the gap towards using the real kite surfboard...

Anyone has experience using it, esp the largest one 142x40.5, what's yr comment?

Thanx in advance

http://www.jimmylewisuk.com/Kiteboards/rad-f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Rad_F.jpg
Rad_F.jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 1668 times

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "TWIN THRUSTERS" RAD-F fr Jimmy Lewis

Postby BJkitesurf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Im looking for hydrid surfing board ..so I found three boards, Jimmy Lewis, RRD Toxic Wave and F-One Legend ..
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2345022&st=0&sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Icant find any review of Jimmy Lewis
:thumb:

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:37 pm

I have a 141x43 that I use as soon as it gets too much for me to handle strapless on a surfboard.

To not paint a false picture, I'm on a twin 85% of the time, but when the waves come, I try to make it to the beach and use the full on surf board, but that doesn't always happen.

For waves around these rocky breaks and at the beach when its just plain windy I use the muttant with a thruster set up. Got really small fins on the other end and it is a very fun board. you can back out of anything and it makes you feel like kelly slater. Not as much drive as the real surf board, but lots of fun and it boosts huge when you want to sky one on the outside.

Not many of them around, but I'm happy I have it. even if it only comes out 5-10 times a year.

JChau
Medium Poster

Postby JChau » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:15 pm

thanx for the replies!

Brent4336, did u mean u have the biggest size of RAD-F, the specification should be 142x40.5cm? I wonder does it have outstanding upwind ability as stated?

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:33 pm

Brent4336 wrote:I have a 141x43 that I use as soon as it gets too much for me to handle strapless on a surfboard.

To not paint a false picture, I'm on a twin 85% of the time, but when the waves come, I try to make it to the beach and use the full on surf board, but that doesn't always happen.

For waves around these rocky breaks and at the beach when its just plain windy I use the muttant with a thruster set up. Got really small fins on the other end and it is a very fun board. you can back out of anything and it makes you feel like kelly slater. Not as much drive as the real surf board, but lots of fun and it boosts huge when you want to sky one on the outside.

Not many of them around, but I'm happy I have it. even if it only comes out 5-10 times a year.
How is backwarding on JL board ? What size of kite do you ride on it ? Whats your weight?

Thermal
Medium Poster

Postby Thermal » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:02 pm

I use to exclusively ride the Rad-F 138, until I converted to a 5'9" John Amundsen Custom Surfboard (which btw is hands down the best kite surfboard I have ever ridden!). I weigh 175lbs and 6' tall. With the Rad-F you still need to ride/ surf "powered" vs. on a surfboard you can more or less park the kite and surf due to the floatability of a full-blown surfboard.

The Rad-F is an excellent choice to get more familiar with surfing, but still have the ability to ride both directions e.g. not have to jibe if that is what you are trying to avoid. It rides great in the non dominant direction/ no issue whatsoever, and goes up-wind as good as any directional/ bi-directional board I have ever ridden. Highly durable; I’ve beaten the crap out of it and still have the board in the event I am in overpowered conditions, with small or no surf (also good for trips as a second choice for me).

Great board, very highly recommended!!!!

Hope this helps.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Mine is not a JL but a Rogue Wave.

The Rogue Waves are basically tough built JL designs, and this board is basically a slightly bigger Rad f with a more rounded front end.

It screams upwind on its good side, not so much on its weak side.

Rides reverse pretty close to a standard twin.

JChau
Medium Poster

Postby JChau » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:43 pm

i checked http://www.roguewaveboards.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but did not find a similar one

Brent4336, can u pls post a photo of yr board, would be interesting. Thanx mate!

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:25 pm

Its a custom. Like all Rogue Waves

Don't thing he's done more than one, though he did a great job on it.

Cant find any pics on my HD might take one, but basically think rad-f with a bit more of a duck bill on the front end in metallic blue.

If I get to it, I'll post a couple pics

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Naish made one last year...I am not sure if it is in the board lineup this year, but you can surely score a deal if you find it any where...one really good feature of that board is the surf rail on it. and four fins like on a TT.

A.

Return to “Kitesurfing”