South-Africa in May: where to go?

forum for kitesurfers

bruno
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

South-Africa in May: where to go?

Postby bruno » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:59 pm

So finally booked those tickets to Cape Town. Because of school holidays, cost etc. we will be going the first two weeks of May. Now I know that's when the best season with the daily "Cape doctor" is over, but there must be some kiteable days at least. So I will definitely take my stuff.

Now my question is, should we base ourselves around Tableview (Cape Town), as in the (local) summer months, or should we head elsewhere :?:

Some points for consideration:
- I prefer waves over flatwater
- It's a big plus if there's diving nearby

Cheers,

Bruno

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Re: South-Africa in May: where to go?

Postby MissionMan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:41 pm

hey Bruno

Cape town is pretty bad over winter, rather head up the coast to a place called Durban. Lots of waves too which should keep you happy.

darryl pretorius
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1

Postby darryl pretorius » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:25 pm

dude my folks bought a place in SA i little while ago, hence why im getting into kiting. its i place called bloubergstraand and is about 20 mins drive to the main city! place has even got roads called kitesurf blvd!!! its a wicked spot with a grass rigging area and all! shops and kite retailers all close by, with prices you wont belive. good waves too! id try checking it out, in my past visits there have been very few days where you dont see guys on the water because theres no wind! there are so many good kite spots on the cape coast and if youre experianced and willing to travel, youre gonna have a magic time!!! its not called the windy city for nothing!
hope you have a good one mate! :thumb:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:16 am

darryl pretorius wrote:dude my folks bought a place in SA i little while ago, hence why im getting into kiting. its i place called bloubergstraand and is about 20 mins drive to the main city! place has even got roads called kitesurf blvd!!! its a wicked spot with a grass rigging area and all! shops and kite retailers all close by, with prices you wont belive. good waves too! id try checking it out, in my past visits there have been very few days where you dont see guys on the water because theres no wind! there are so many good kite spots on the cape coast and if youre experianced and willing to travel, youre gonna have a magic time!!! its not called the windy city for nothing!
hope you have a good one mate! :thumb:
Winter is not great in Cape Town.

bruno
Medium Poster

Postby bruno » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks for your (very differring) inputs.

I know winter is not great in SA. But still, won't there be around 25 % rideable days or should I leave my stuff at home alltogether?

Durban is a bit of a long drive with a three-year-old and a five-year-old on the backseat. I was thinking about Langebaan for example. In terms of wind, will Cape Town (Bloubergstrand) still be the best or would other places be better? And if so... which?

PS will a (very warm) 3/2 steamer do, or should I take my winter 5/3 mm steamer?

darryl pretorius
Rare Poster

Postby darryl pretorius » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:12 pm

dude seriously, i was there last april for 2 weeks and it blew like a mothef*%ker. langebaan is cool too, but a bit of a drive from CT at around 2-3 hours and flatter than a plate full of cold piss. dude i suggest you take your stuff with and try enjoy what wind you have rather than sit on the sand like a lemon watching what a great time the other guys are having. big bay had at least 20 kiters on the water with more than double on the kite beach. if you wanna get some good waves though, id head to big bay in blouberg!!! youve booked a holiday in capetown, so i say enjoy what you got! durban has better waves hands down but CT kicks ass for wind! as for the wetsuit, stick with a warm one, in my opinion you wont need a winter one even though the water is pretty chilly it aint that cold!
at the end of the day its up to you! let us know if you had a good time though hey???

bruno
Medium Poster

Postby bruno » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi Darryl,

will take my stuff for sure, and most probably will have a blast. I am looking forward to it.
Thanks for the info!

Bruno

darryl pretorius
Rare Poster

Postby darryl pretorius » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:10 pm

hey Bruno, im sure you'll have a magic time!
take care, and good winds to you my man!!!

Northern Monkey
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: East Coast, Western Cape, South Africa.
Style: Wave and Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Rabbits: 5m 7m, 9m, 10.5m
Twinnies: Wainman Joke UG Crypt 2011
Waves: Firewire 6.0 Gerraty 6.0 UG Skim
Brand Affiliation: Wainman

Postby Northern Monkey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:24 am

Hey Bruno

May can be hit and miss, I can hook you up with an apartment in Blouberg overlooking table mountain and kite beach. send me a pm for details. Table View is the place to be and the guys in the kite shops are all pretty chilled. Langebaan is an hours drive away. Try the local forums http://www.ikiteboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the local lowdown.

:rollgrin:

mathieu leheilleix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Dolphin Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ras Sudr, Egypt
Style: Free style
Gear: Cab

Postby mathieu leheilleix » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:16 am

Hey Bruno,

Yep, May is a bit too late, the best time is Nov to March.
Nevertheless, we did get a few days of wind last year in May.
Better to be based in Table View - take your gear but leave the 16 sqm at home: CT is small kite territory.

Return to “Kitesurfing”