Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone tried 2008 Underground 138 x 44

forum for kitesurfers

seaoutside
Rare Poster

Anyone tried 2008 Underground 138 x 44

Postby seaoutside » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:27 pm

Has anyone ridden the lightwind 2008 Underground FLX 138 x 44? Looking for a lightwind board and trying to get some general feedback and impressions of this board which would go with my 128 x 28 FLX. At 155 lbs, I'm looking for a board that is not just pure lightwind flatwater fast, but rather lightwind for all conditions, meaning something that works well in flats, chop, small waves. Thanks for any info.

poul
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Løkken, Tranum, Hou, Øster Hurup, Trend, Kjul, Egense, Nibe, Øsløs, Uggerby and Gjøl.
Favorite Beaches: "Flaget" at Læsø, Øsløs and Uggerby.
Style: A bit of everything
Gear: Rhino08 12, 16, Liquid force Hifi 2009 9-12-15
Magic wave 134x41, Liquid force WLF Ltd 145x46 2009
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone tried 2008 Underground 138 x 44

Postby poul » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:17 pm

I have just received this board, and have tried it once.
I weigh about 110kg (225lbs?), so take this into account.

I tried it once in 6-9ms, waterstate from superflat to 2 feet evil chop.

My impressions:
The board has a very flat rockerline and has a soft flex. These properties has the expected result:
-The lowend was very good while all wet surface created efficient lift, and the board created very little resistance.
-The soft flex was good at soaking up small chop.
-The board was very eager for high speed in the flat water, it has a stable edge at high speed.
-In chop firm backfoot pressure was needed to keep the nose of the board out of the water. It could be a bit tireing on long stretches in chop. Otherwise it will spit into yor face. This might not be a problem for smaller riders than me.
-The board has a skatey feel, it needed a little help to not to slide sometimes. This was in spite the reasonale large fins. This could be regarded as both good and bad.
-It was sticky enough in landings (an important property for me).
-For my limited skilllevel it seems like the pop was fine.
-The finish of the board was the best I ever have seen. Pictures can not tell how good it looks.
-The footstraps was extreme good and was extremly easy to mount on the board. They where a bit heavy though. Be aware the underground have different sizes. Having a size 46 and using shoes I was very happy that I have ordered the large ones.
-The board feeled very light until I mounted the straps. Then the weight was reaching normal standard.

To sum it up: The board is a lightwind board with the goods and bads that follow. It is not ideal in choppy waters, where a board with more rocker (and therefore lower performance) would be better. I will not regard this board as one-board-collection unless having access to plenty of flat water (and being a little to the heavy side).

I need more time on the water before I can give more info.

Regards Poul

poul
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Løkken, Tranum, Hou, Øster Hurup, Trend, Kjul, Egense, Nibe, Øsløs, Uggerby and Gjøl.
Favorite Beaches: "Flaget" at Læsø, Øsløs and Uggerby.
Style: A bit of everything
Gear: Rhino08 12, 16, Liquid force Hifi 2009 9-12-15
Magic wave 134x41, Liquid force WLF Ltd 145x46 2009
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby poul » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:45 pm

I have now tried the board again today.

This time it was in messy waves, 3-4 foot surf and wind changing up and down between 7-11ms. I rigged my medium kite a 12m Rhino7 in order to cope with the high wind periods. I was (at least with my normal board) severe underpowered in the low periods (remember 110kg!).

In these conditions the underground really shined: I had the cability to cope with the bad wind and it was still easy to cope with the board full powered. When full powered the board functioned best when I edged it harder. It did not like full blast laying flat.
Then it was a lightwind board required a tribut though: A little extra care at applying backfoot pressure was needed, but I did this more and more intuitive as the day progressed.

Compared with ny previous lightwind boards spleene session 2006 and a Nobile 666Ext 143x48. This board was not as tireing at higher wind, probaly because it is a bit smaller (at least felled so). So for me it is a good compromise. After my first session with the board I was not convinced that it was a good board, but now I am. I hope it will grow some more on me. :wink:

Regards Poul

seaoutside
Rare Poster

Postby seaoutside » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks for the input Poul. Anyone else out there thats tried this board?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: AXIS boards, Ozone kites, Moses hydrofoils, HB surfboards, Dynabar harness + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:09 am

Hey Poul,

thanks for your reports! Glad you like the board more and more the more you ride it.
Was pretty sure it would be like this!
Would be cool if you could e-mail me some action pics if you got any.

Thanks!
Frank

Return to “Kitesurfing”