Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

San Carlos (Baja) in July.

forum for kitesurfers

Sharone
Rare Poster

San Carlos (Baja) in July.

Postby Sharone » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:41 pm

I’ve being windsurfing and kitesurfing for over twenty years in southern California, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I never been to San Carlos. It has been on my to do list for years, But……

Anyway, the wife and the girls are going to visit her folks, and I have a free week.
I’m thinking about traveling down to San Carlos with Solo Sport. I heard the stories, and seen the pictures of how great that spot can be. However, I do have a few questions.

Is July a “good” month in San Carlos?
How hot can it get if it is not windy?
What are the chances of no waves/wind at all?
Any horror stories?
Last but not least, any Safety issues? :baby:

Sharone

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: San Carlos (Baja) in July.

Postby Kiteosphere » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:23 pm

I've been to San Carlos about 5 times with Solo Sports but its been about 5 years since I was there last. I use to go there wavesailing i.e. on a wind surfer. I've been contemplating going back every year for the past few since I took up kiting. As a matter of fact I was considering going down on the July 5th trip until I gashed my foot on the fin of my SUP this morning requiring stitches. Depending upon how quick I heal I may still have them pulled and make that trip if the swell forecast is good. After wave sailing the spot I have been dreaming about kiting it for too long. There are about 4 different breaks by the camp and it can get as good as you could possibly imagine. The wave is fairly easy even at significant size . The wind is typically moderate to strong sideoff with right hand wave riding. It isn't what I'd call dangerous but at high tide you have to come in an negotiate about a 10 to 15 foot cliff with the waves washing against it. I personally don't consider that a big deal. The bottom is rocks and sand and at lower tide its a piece of cake. The wind blows almost every day. On a down day the camp has plenty of shade and other ways to stay cool like surfing & SUP. There can be no wind days but my personal experience has been these are exceptions. You need to be able to handle gusty winds and be able to stay up wind to go there as it is sideoff. Directional boards are the call for this place as it is a wave riding spot. Make sure your gear is in good shape so you don't have to self rescue when a line or pig tail breaks. Kevin and his crew are great hosts and they take care of your every need, within reason of course. I really wouldn't consider going (as I'm from FL) unless I went with Solo. I call it 5 star camping. Anyway if you live in S-Cal you can bet San Carlos will be alot better than your neighborhood. It can be epic. Give Kevin at Solo a call and he can give you better insight and the latest conditions. He's a straight up guy. I may see you there.

Sharone
Rare Poster

Postby Sharone » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks for the information. Your positive experience is giving me the erg to mail my deposit.

In your opinion what is the best session to go San Carlos?
Was is ever too hot. I can handle the cold air and cold water, but not seven days of sitting in front of a hairdryer.

Thanks.

Sharone

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteosphere » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 pm

The best time to go to San Carlos is when the southern hemi swell is working. It will also pick up NW and W swell too. There are lots of swell models for the Pacific that provide 7 day forecast or longer for the west coast. Honestly I can never remember being overly hot there. First its dry heat with no humidity and there is almost always a breeze. Nights can be and are chilly. Bring warm clothes. My experiences in July were more about chill than sweat. Day time you're in trunks and a tee and at night you're in sweats with a beanie. Great for sleeping at night. As you probably know, with a kite clean waist to chest high waves can be a blast if its bigger even better. As long as there is a bump the point and chili bowl can be a blast. I've been 5 times and I'm perving to go again. When its on its that good.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:42 pm

Like anywhere that depends on souther hemisphere energy you will see more long period deep south swells in June and more closer (usually larger) hurricane souths in August, Sept. July can be a bit slower for swell usually. Especially the last three weeks of July. Often there is a swell in the first week of July. But this is just average year patterns. You never know until you go.

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteosphere » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:06 am

But..... the various surf reports, forecast and swell models give you a pretty good idea. Do your homework and you won't be dissatisfied. Solo surely does their part but mother nature needs to deliver too.

manhattankiter
Rare Poster

Postby manhattankiter » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:53 am

how's the bandito situation? guessing its safe but been hearing the stories...

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteosphere » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:17 am

There media has definitely been talking up the police/drug wars at the border but I haven't heard about banditos lately. That is another reason I go with Solo because they've been doing it so long that they have it wired. They also employ locals and maintain good relations with the locals. San Carlos is pretty isolated and being in the Solo camp definitely adds to the safety factor.

Return to “Kitesurfing”