Forum for kitesurfers
Londo
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NAISH THORN

Postby Londo » Thu May 08, 2008 3:10 pm

has anyone tried this board? Please submit your reviews and thoughts on the board.

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Re: NAISH THORN

Postby sourra » Fri May 09, 2008 1:42 am

I have ridden it a few times and my impression is smooth yet powerful. Look at
http://www.naishkites.com/en/products/thorn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and choose "Get the designer's words" in the bottom right corner. I think what he is saying about the boards behaviour is pretty spot on.

stayfan
Rare Poster
Style: freestyle/freeryde
Gear: Thorn 2008
Torch 2008

Postby stayfan » Fri May 09, 2008 4:14 pm

I have the 129 x 39 2008.
This board is more relaxed in chop than the 2007 wich I also had. But It's not as relaxed as for example a Fone Trax cause its still a freestyle board and not an allround board.
It is still a fast board with lots of pop, but also more loose than the 2007. You can slide the board more.
I think its the best board I've had so far.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri May 09, 2008 7:35 pm

I think Stayfan is pretty spot on.

Good pop, but flexy. In comparison with last years board I'd say it has more low end, more flex, and handles better in chop. It is a nicer easier going ride. It is a little wider, which took a little time to get used to if you rode the 07, especially in the bottom turns, but the shape works really well. The board seems really strong and the spot I use mine I really grind it a lot on the reef and the board holds up just fine. For the most part you can hardly see I've touched down with it...I've used mine quite a lot, and love it.
The foot straps are fantastic, and the anti spray thingy really works (it is actually something I think other companies should pick up).

Ferosimo
Medium Poster

Postby Ferosimo » Fri May 09, 2008 10:26 pm

hi what do u mean by antispray thing mate. does it mean no spray at all

I heard good things about the board too, i tried 07 thorn in size 137 and i realy enjoyed it.
08 is one of my candidates i m thinking of 131.

more feedback please, how does it carve, how is it in chops

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat May 10, 2008 10:20 am

Aloha,

the anti spray reduces the constant spray you get in your face like some of my previous boards had..I'd say it doesn't completely remove it, but it definitely does work very well...the anti spry thingy was on the 07 thorn too.

Since one of the spots I ride has a lot of wind chop, this is one of the things the 08 does a lot better than the 07. The ride is a lot smoother. I am not the greatest freestyle rider (understatement), but pop is good, the board carves very nice, but slightly different from the 07. It doesn't have as hard of an edge as the 07 so the ride becomes smoother, but once you decide to go for your jump the board holds plenty...

I actually went with a longer board than I had before (133) simply because I wanted easier landings on unhooked stuff...I also got a board that has a really good low end and nice flex. If you wonder...yes I am happy with mine :-)

a.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat May 10, 2008 2:50 pm

I had the 2007 134 Thorn and it was a sweet board but I snapped it, got the 2008 which is a lot stronger due to different construction. Went for the 133 but it felt really sluggish compared to the 2007 (prob due to the extra width?) great for freestyle and the pop was good in flat water, low end was amazing for its size, but I found it wasn't very good in chop, very harsh ride and not very comfortable.

Good board tho

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Sat May 10, 2008 10:33 pm

What is the anti spray? Is it the outline shape?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat May 10, 2008 11:38 pm

I think it is something in the tip shape, and how it releases the water. I just know on my UG boards, I had a constant spray right on my nose...and although otherwise great boards it was really really annoying..it also seemed to find my face whatever way I would try to ride...maybe it just didn't like me.

Anyhow...
It doesn't seem to be included on the description this year, but the description was on in 07...
http://www.naishkites.com/2007/products ... thorn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This years model has the same tip, but maybe not as pronounced:
http://www.naishkites.com/en/products/thorn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It still works great though, and although the shape, how it rides and overall performance was what made me make the switch it is a nice additional feature.

jlin63
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA
Favorite Beaches: Belmont Shore, CA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Best Waroo/Bularoo 10, 13, 16
Cabrinha Contra 14
Mystic Warrior
Twin tip, 125, 132, 142
Surfboard, skimboard

Postby jlin63 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:26 pm

Hello stayfan,

How much do you weight? I am considering the exact same board but I am not sure if it is too small for me at 175.

Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”