Mako Wide. Proven? or just Hype?

forum for kitesurfers

perroloco
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Acapulco, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Acapulco, San Diego
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbo 2 17m-14m-11m-9m-7m, Nobile 666 143 Ext, Nobile 666 135, UG 132, UG 128, Mako wide 150, LF Rawson 5'10''
Brand Affiliation: None

Mako Wide. Proven? or just Hype?

Postby perroloco » Mon May 26, 2008 5:57 pm

I have seen to much hype on this board. Kiters claim it to be better than sex. Is this board really the best chopp killer? Is this board as good as they say?

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Re: MAKO WIDE. PROVEN? OR JUST HYPE?

Postby dwarf » Mon May 26, 2008 6:29 pm

for waves and oldschool....Yes it is BRILLIANT....

For wakestyle... no good

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby panchito » Mon May 26, 2008 8:30 pm

I wish I could try it .... i mailed the Spanish representative ( back then when the first topic started several months ago ) but never ever got an answer . :angryfire:

Saludos

Franz

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Mon May 26, 2008 11:56 pm

I rode the mako wide for a couple of days and the following might be helpful.

First off I ride strapped surfboards most of the time so I wanted to compare the performance of the mako wide against a surfboard in decent waves, and in chop.

The mako wide is very smooth through the chop and holds an amazing amount of power for a TT board its size, and can be ridden very fast. On the wave carving turns it goes well , but can't carve anything like directional surfboard with fins etc. There is simply too much board behind your rear foot to ride vertical top to bottom.

The other limitation is when riding the mako wide, flat ( not on edge ) down wind it lacks the tracking and snappyness of a surfboard in turns.

The turns on the mako are typical TT turns which are alot more open than a surfboard can turn.
The glide and carry on a wave is excellent due to its size, but for me it had too much drift in the turns and rode too open compared to a surfboard.

Conclusion ; if you are a TT only rider you are going to love this board, for waves and as an allround board.
It has a lot of range, gets going early and can hold a lot of power and speed.
The wide holds an edge well in a straight line but tends to drift a lot in carving turns which some people will like, some not.

The comments about the wide feeling like a snowboard in the turns are accurate.

If you have some experience on surfboards you will find that the mako wide doesn't have the turning or carving or carry of a 6ft surfboard and doesn't ride any smoother through chop than a surfboard.

I would have bought one had it been 140 X 40 as a compliment for my surfboard to be used on junky surf when I wanted to do powered freestyle and save my surfboard, but at its size it was competing with conditions that the surfboard works well in for me.

So the mako wide is a very smooth riding board that does't need a lot of back foot pressure to hold a good edge and ride fast.

If you aren't a surfboard rider grab one and try it, you'll probably end up buying one. :thumb:

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Tue May 27, 2008 1:55 pm

xcellent review Kevin dude...spot on.
you should give the mako surf a try...
its not like any surfboard I've ever riden before...super smooth, and it can withstand huge air,
gnarely shorebreaks and washing machine wipe outs.

...the wide is addicting, the new pads are just gonna make it even tougher to put down.

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider

Postby Rbgar » Tue May 27, 2008 6:43 pm

nice board, i like mine, just put some LF Lux pads on I had on my Door and now :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”