Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one Badit 8 12m
Waroo 2007 13m
Waroo 2007 9m
Fone Trax 2013
Brand Affiliation: None

Ion Hummer Harness

Postby leoaraka » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:11 am

I was shopping by a new harness and after a good research had narrow down to these brands as the most comfortable: North, Mystic and Dakine. Was thinking about move to a sit model to protect my back hernias but was still trying to demo all of them to decide. (My actual harness is a Prolimit Felix edition that kills me every time. No offence, just the wrong fit 4 me after gain 12 Kg.)

This weekend I was at the beach and a friend had a brand new Ion Hummer with him. I didn’t know a thing about the brand but the ads here at the Kiteforum. I tried it and it was love at the first sight. It just fits me perfectly. I did a quick analysis and it looked to be very well built and strong. I ended up buying his harness and now I’m verry happy with it and would like to recommend a trial of this model to anyone shopping for a comfortable harness.

:thumb:

ferrarista
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Ion Hummer Harness

Postby ferrarista » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:02 pm

yeah the Ion harnesses are very well built and very comfy. my cousin bought the torque windsurf edition and added the Liquidforce front pad of his old LF 2008 harness. perfect.

he bought the windsurf edition because it has no handle in the back and looks cleaner, but he still added an handle pass leash rope in the back. best harness he's ever had.

he had alot of problems with rashing with the LF 2008 and also Mystic warrior. with the Ion no problem.
Attachments
Harnes Pad.JPG
Ion harness with LF pad
Harnes ION..JPG
Ion harness

daffy

Postby daffy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:07 am

leoaraka wrote:This weekend I was at the beach and a friend had a brand new Ion Hummer with him. I didn’t know a thing about the brand but the ads here at the Kiteforum. I tried it and it was love at the first sight. It just fits me perfectly. I did a quick analysis and it looked to be very well built and strong. I ended up buying his harness and now I’m verry happy with it and would like to recommend a trial of this model to anyone shopping for a comfortable harness.
Seconded.

I tried all harnesses available in the local shops - North (horror with the air padding), Mystic (not exactly comfy), Dakine (did not fit) - and the ION Hummer was the one I liked best.

I am particularly very happy with the spreader bar closing mechanism - no sharp corners, no possibility for the harness to open (like with Mystic or Pat Love), similar in spirit to the Prolimit mechanism.

When tightened properly, the harness does not ride up one bit (individual mileage may vary...)

Due to the way the spreader bar is fixed to the harness, it does not "roll" or "twist" up - and that without the help of an additional strip (as, e.g. Mystic use).

I have yet to ride the harness with only shorts and shirt, but expect that it will be as comfy as when being ridden in a wet suit.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:38 pm

Does the harness come with a knife or a place to put one?

I think this is one of the best features of the Ocean Rodeo harness, which comes with a quality knife, and the Mystic harnesses (which used to come with a quality knife, and is now a $15 option in the U.S... WTF?)

Any cleaner pictures or links to the kite version of this?

leoaraka
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one Badit 8 12m
Waroo 2007 13m
Waroo 2007 9m
Fone Trax 2013

Postby leoaraka » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Yes, it comes with a very good 2 blades knife. :thumb:

The web site is http://www.ion-essentials.com/

I will take some pictures to post.

I think the mechanism to close it is the same as north harness and looks very secure. My old Prolimit opened on me tree time being the last time responsible for an almost accident that ended up exploding my front bladder. :angryfire:

alib987
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Rest Bay

Postby alib987 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:36 am

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problems as me,
I have a small ion hummer 2007 kitesurf harness. Super compfy no faults there, really good fit and doesn't ride up at all.
I find that the elastic strap with the velcrow on it, which you do up before putting the spreader bar on is way too big, the velcro does not match up at all. I have been riding this harness for about 3months now and the part when the elastic attaches to the main harness is starting to fail. By fail i mean it is starting to come appart from the harness.

Can anyone who has this harness check for this wear and let me know. Is this a problem with just my harness, or is it a problem with others as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”