Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Turbo Diesel

forum for kitesurfers

IRIE
Medium Poster

Slingshot Turbo Diesel

Postby IRIE » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:22 pm

I can pick up new 2006 Turbo Diesel's for a very good price, have heard mixed reviews and wanted to know if anyone has experience (good or bad) with this kite? Thanks

shogun1204
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Freesytle, Surf
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Turbo Diesel

Postby shogun1204 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Dont buy it, super slow, very unstable, tons of bar pressure. I heard the T2 and the T3 are much better but the first TD SUCKED!

IRIE
Medium Poster

Postby IRIE » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks Shogun

Bron-Yr-Aur
Rare Poster

Postby Bron-Yr-Aur » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:23 pm

I have flown TD1's, TD2's and TD3's for the past 3 years. The 2 and 3 are better and more stable, but the TD1 is a good kite if you take the time to learn to fly it. It can be unforgiving if you do not know how to fly it, the 2 and 3 versions are much more forgiving.

I think the larger sizes of the 1 version are very good kites. If you can get a deal on the 14 or 16 I would recommend it. These kites are relatively stable. The 10 and 12 less so, but still really decent kites. The 6 and 8 are pretty finicky, only recommended if you get to know these kites well and respect how they fly. They will invert if you don't have the stopper set properly.

These are all "good" kites, but you need to set them up correctly and fly them correctly. Just like any kite. The later versions are much more kook proof and I prefer them. However the TD1 is much better than most people give it credit for. You need to inflate them hard to 6-8 psi and keep them moving and sheeted properly (which means near constant sheeting, not a problem once you get the feel).

The bar pressure is more on the larger sizes but not too bad unless you are susceptible to tennis elbow and flying super long sessions. I have had some great times on my TD1s!

With the new below the bar safety the TD3 is SUCH a sweet kite. Damn it's good!

NONE of the TD kites are "slow." That's total BS. Just my opinion, but I have quite a bit of experience with these kites. They are also really well constructed and can take a real beating without falling apart.

Huwin69
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: La Florida - Rosario - Argentina
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco - Brasil
Los Roques - Venezuela
Coche Island - Venezuela
El Yaque - Venezuela
Cariló - Argentina
Cuesta del Viento - Argentina
Style: All Around
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10m 2017
Slingshot RPM 8m 2016
Slingshot Asylum 138
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot Rosario

Postby Huwin69 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:14 pm

I agree with Bron-Yr-Aur.

I used T1 and i liked it for that time eas great. Now the T2 is better of course, has been updated. And the T3 is better with the small bridle and new bar system.
If bigger size its a good choicea T1 when cheap but i will go for a T2 also with better prices now.

cheers.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:32 pm

bron,

that was one of the better write ups in a long time and spot on. the 14m and 16m were very stable and nice kites. 12m was in the middle, but the 10's and below were less stable especially for beginners. advanced riders could fly them better, but it would be hard to pass up more current kites over the smaller Td1's.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby discojuggernaut » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 pm

I had a 2006 TD1 16m. Before that had a 16m 2006 Crossbow I. IMO, the TD1 pulled like a truck, was slow and not fun to fly, hard to work it, extremely heavy bar pressure, sat far back in the wind window. I think it could definitely benefit from a bridle mod. Sold it for a small loss and got a 2007 Eclipse thruster 16m. Heavy improvement in every area.

Return to “Kitesurfing”