Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Priorities

Postby Nico » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 am

Hi.
Could we all get down in writing some kind of priority rules for the surf to avoid any friction in our future sessions.
To me it has always been clear that 1st priority goes to all marine creatures like sharks dolphins turtles .....
next comes the swimmers or body surfers,
then the surfers,
the windsurfers,
the kiteboarders,
the SUPs ????
I'd like everyones opinion, or maybe even a poll to get an idea on how right or wrong I could be.
thanks
Nico

humandrive
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Priorities

Postby humandrive » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:17 am

There will never be any hard and fast priorities unless your spot is heavly regulated. Even then you will still see conflicts.

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tungsten222 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:56 am

Sorry I do feel that we can get some kind of priority ranking out there.
Tungsten you are saying that a beginner in the surf should be given priority ?.
The way it usually works is that the beginner should be staying out of the way.
The only way I would give a beginner priority is the same as I would be giving a rock priority ie changing my path not to hit it. I would however tell the beginner to stay clear of the lineup if he is a hinderance.
My question was more about different types of craft/gear.
Does a surfer have absolute priority over a windsurfer or kiter for exemple? which would also basically mean the guy with less manoeuvrability having priority, hence my ranking of :
Sea creatures (they are the only true locals) then bathers, then surfers, then windsurfers then kiters.
Nico

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:39 am

I would say that surfers definitely get priority over windsurfers and kiters. Surfers have to be where they are. They can't go anywhere else to do their thing. Windsurfers and kiters are equal in my eyes.

Swimmers are like unarmed, unprotected pedestrians, they always get right-of-way.

SUP-pers are like speed bumps, go slow when you run over them so as not to hurt your... wait... wait a minute.... take that back.,... SUP-pers are like boaters with only one oar in the water, you have to give them room because they're having such a hard time having fun that you don't want to make them have even less fun... paddle.... paddle... fall.... paddle.... paddle.... fall..... hmmm... trying again....SUP-pers are like any other row-boat or super tanker in the waves.... I guess SUP-pers don't yet have a place in my hiearchy... fortunately they're not really out on windy days anyway.. no conflict... our paths don't cross.

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tungsten222 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 am

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 am

Having a priority system is very difficult. The ocean should be free for everyone to use and not limited by some arbitrary priority system. And who gets to make the rules? Why do surfers and windsurfers get put higher on the list than kiteboarders and SUPers? Is it because the rules are being made by surfers and windsurfers?

I kitesurf and I SUP. The way I do it is I pay attention to those around me and stay away from everyone else if possible. On the way out and back in I will sometimes get close to a swimmer but that is somewhat unavoidable. I have every right to be on the water with my kite and/or SUP as anyone else. But with that right comes the responsibility to respect others as well.

When I am SUPing I try and stay to the sides or find an empty break or at least a break with very few people. There are many times, however, when I am the first to the beach and then all of the other surfer show up later. Why should I have to give up the prime spot just because someone else decided to show up? What ever happend to first come first server? I of course move over as I would rather surf a smaller break and get every wave I want vice fighting the crowd for a wave.

The whole issue is one of respect. We need to respect those around us not matter what we are doing.

And by the way if regular surf board riders do not like the fact that SUPers get more waves because they have bigger boards, tough. Life is full of unfair advantages. Quit your whinning and get over it :baby: The SUPs are here to stay :thumb:

mv
http://www.kitesurfinfo.com

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:16 pm

Let's try to look at this from the "laws of nature" perspective.....

(1) Little guys get out of the way of big guys 'cause the big guys can hurt you more.
(2) Fast, agile little guys can harass the big guys and rule 'cause the big guys can't catch 'em.
(3) Generally, predators rule the turf over prey 'cause the predators can eat you.
(4) The one with the most formidable presentation rules over the wimps.
(5) Survival of the fittest.

Now, let's look at this from the "ethics of man" perspective...

(1) Equal rights for all
(2) First come, first served
(3) "Grandfathered" privileges come into play 'cause the others guys have been there longer
(4) Don't bully, but respect others
(5) Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Hmmmm..... So.... SUP-pers are the biggest (rhinos of the surf zone crowd... only the outrigger canoes are bigger than them, and outriggers are rare in most waters...) Kiters are the fastest and most agile (we're the dinosaurs compared to the slow, lumbering reptiles). Surfers are the Grandfathers 'cuz they started this whole "fun in the surf" thing.... and swimmers and body surfers are tolerated in deference to the "Equal rigths for all" ethic.... (being an ex-avid body surfer, I actually think body surfers are more towards the small, "ultra agile" early mammal crowd, whereas the swimmers are just flotsam...)

Given this categorization, and the rules of nature versus the ethics of man, it would seem that the dominant rules are probably those most enforceable at the local site. "Whoever has the most effective enforcers present wins!" ("Gang theory") They get to develop their microclime social structure and rule.

Why can't we all just get along????? ('Cause there isn't enough supply to meet the demand.... which introduces competition.... and is the basis for the laws of nature.... which introduces the notion of social norms in civilization... which is why we are even talking about it in the first place...).

:soap:

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:04 pm

Also don't forget that SUPers get to carry round big long clubs. I for one know how to use it :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”