a real eye opener!

Forum for kitesurfers
nj kiter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

a real eye opener!

Postby nj kiter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:59 am

so yesterday i awoke to the sound of thirty knot wind houling out side my bedroom window. so i got ready and headed out to my favorite place which would be the sholes in barnegat light. i sold my 9 that i used frequently. so i pulled out my trusty yarga. the session began on a good note. surfing the head high surf, launching over them, and off of them. it was great all untill a bridal line on the kite snapped by my guess would be a mega gust. way out in strong current in the big waves toying with me while i was trying to swim in. because the kite would not fly. the kite and the current were pulling me out evan further to sea, so i released it from me and said goodby to her and let go. after that i swam in for about 30 to 45 minutes. reached the beach and laid their for a while. got my act together and left. something i found interasting i was out with about ten other kiters. and while i was swimming in, the current would pull me further away from the crowd. and no one stoped to offer help. all of them kept going on like it never happened. i am not complaning or anything. but it just goes to show you in life or death you really are on your own, that you cant rely on other people. i lost the kite that i learned on i did my first tricks downwinders and good time on it. but i am glad i made it back to land with those conditions

mikido
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: a real eye opener!

Postby mikido » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 am

at least you made it back

my and my buddy had a great time on our 7's at the marshed just E of kite island in the bay, awesome

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:14 am

Todd,

Sorry to hear about your kite and glad you made it in safe. Sounds like you were riding with the ISS crew right? You know that me or Mike would have pulled you in if we were there but I was in Toms River at my secret slick.(at least I'm trying to keep it secret) The shoals (not sholes)(sorry, had to do it) can get pretty scary in the right conditions and with a strong NE wind, the current can be crazy. I am heading to Hatteras tomorrow and then to the keys. Was good riding with you this year and it's great that your progressing so fast. Remember last year when you wouldn't do a down-winder with me because the double overhead wave were too big for you? Just shows what you can get over after time.

Have a good winter and stay safe. I'll see you in May or so.

Noel

baller
Frequent Poster

Postby baller » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:16 am

Isn't that the northeastern way :angryfire:

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:27 am

Sorry to hear about your incident.

It sucks that no one would help you. I always try to help out other kiters whenever I can. Usually it just means bringing someone their board when they can not get back upwind but I have also helped people relaunch their kites and drag them in when they can not relaunch.

It says a lot about our society these days.

mv
http://www.kitesurfinfo.com

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:26 am

When you're out there you are all alone, cannot count on others... anyways especially in waves visibility drops quickly with distance, you may be a line length away from them and they may not see or hear you! Scary but true.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:50 am

that sucks horse nuts !! Do you guys in your area have a kiteboarding association? if not then all you guys should come together and make up one so that shit like that wouldn't happen. Glad you made it in safe :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:16 pm

good to hear you are ok!

And unbelievable to read that others didn't take care of you!
Shame on those guys :evil:

We all have to look out for each and everyone out there to be ready to help immediately.
If we even won't help each other, our sport will be dead one day, since for sure no one else will help us...

If you have been out there and didn't help, be sure to know that you should not kite anymore, we don't want people like that in our kiting world! :!:

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Generally I don't help people I don't know in such a situation. It just encourages idiots to go out at places and/or conditions they should not be out in. Of course, if it appears you're going to die, I'll help out, but if it just looks like you'll have a good long swim, I'll leave you to yourself. And yes, unless, you make specific arrangements with a friends/friend beforehand (remember the buddy system from when you were a kid) you should assume you are on your own.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:07 pm

satan,

that's pathetic. karma will visit you some day when you need her most and she'll just watch.

NJ...i would have stopped and helped. i was in hatteras on 2 trips in 3 weeks and rescued 2 kiters and 2 boards while in the sound. they were both broken down and the sound is shallow in most places, but hit one of the deep spots. it's not a super long swim, but i figured that helping them just creates the right attitude, etc. it took no energy from me to drag them in.

one guys board was way way downwind on a straight offshore wind and it took 20 minutes to ride back upwind with a board in my hand.

NJ...i don't understand why others don't help. both guys i helps drag in were swimming already for 15 minutes and no-one stopped but me. they weren't in any danger, but got back much much sooner.

it's super lame when riders don't help.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”